Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

making my own overshot cards...

+5
EdgarEg
eagle60
XbonesX
Daywalker
hawcer
9 posters

Go down

making my own overshot cards... Empty making my own overshot cards...

Post by hawcer Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:45 am

I was bored this morning waiting for some parts to arrive, so I started meddling with making different overshot cards.

I looked for various pipes,tubes fittings that was the same diameter of the interior diameter of a typical 12 gauge hull. I ended up with a steel spacer bushing from something that had the correct outside diameter....all I had to do was dremel around the inside edge to make it sharp enough to cut through cardboard. All it took is a light smack with a mallet to get it to cut out a disk(using a piece of 2x4 as a backer)

I made three variations... one out of your basic card stock type cardboard, one using a plastic lid from a coffee container and the last was using the coffee container itself. The black lid was thinner and more pliable than the cardboard and the coffee container is the most rigid. I'm sure old anti-freeze jugs and such would work just as good.

Using the different colors might help in keeping different loads separated....

A couple pictures of my boredom....

making my own overshot cards... Disks11

making my own overshot cards... Holes10
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

making my own overshot cards... Empty Re: making my own overshot cards...

Post by Daywalker Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:58 am

Very nice Hawcer. Looks like your shotshell reloading is coming along great. Looking forward to your testings...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks DW... So far testing on the the reloads I've done have been good...except for a small lot that didn't get much powder. They were more like a small wad/shot launcher than a shotgun blast,LOL. My gut hurt I laughed so much at them....

These overshot cards will come in handy for those hulls that don't want to crimp just right and look like they may dribble shot through the small opening in the middle of the crimp...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

when there is a hole the middle of the crimp I just melt candle wax over it.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 pm

XbonesX wrote:when there is a hole the middle of the crimp I just melt candle wax over it.

I thought about that or a using a hot glue gun....
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:44 pm

Neat! Where there's a will there is a way - where there is no will, there's another way sunny
Good job hawcer!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:59 pm

When you are making thing like that how do you determine whether the material will leave a bad residue inside your barrel?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:52 pm

EdgarEg wrote:When you are making thing like that how do you determine whether the material will leave a bad residue inside your barrel?

Most components in a shotshell are either plastic,cardboard or some type of fiber....and of course lead,steel,etc. So I'm not afraid of a thin piece of plastic or cardboard leaving a residue....but I could be wrong.

I'll tell you what...the Federal hulls I was having a hard time with the crimps on no longer had that problem when I placed a overshot card in them. Smile

I also made some from a fiber gasket material that worked great.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Pathfinder Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:10 am

Nice!!! Very Happy
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:46 am

very nice use of boredom..... looks great...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by M./Karb. Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm

If you use an overshot card under the 6or8 point crimp do you have to seat your wad slightly deeper to allow for the card space?

M./Karb.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:01 pm

I suppose you can do that. I use them for hulls that don't fill enough to crimp correctly or leave a hole in the center of the crimp that allows shot to trickle out. The overshot card will fill just enough space to to get a good ,even crimp.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:29 am

That is a great use of boredom. I have made over shot cards from just about everything including milk cartons, frozen food containers, house siding (Tyvek), and various plastic food containers.

According to the guys over at Ballistic Products, the overshot cards are supposed to help patterns. Some believe the overshot cards blow patterns, but my own very non-scientific testing I did not see any difference in patterns.

However I am not the best shotgun shooter. Ducks and other fowl tend to fall out of the sky because I scared them to death not because I actually hit them.

The overshot cards are handy for adjusting crimp especially with cheap or over-used hulls. They are handy for keeping shot from escaping from a pourly crimped hull, and are damned expensive from the commerical guys.

Overshot cards are very handy when you roll crimp unless you are loading pumpkin balls. Some reason the shot just pours out of the hull when you forget the overshot card with a roll crimp. Damn nuisance to unroll the crimp and scoop all the shot up.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down