Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A good concealed carry pistol that is affordable?

+9
badjeep02
brow_tines
hawcer
BigAgitator
Daywalker
RemMan700
CMAsailor
XbonesX
victor8881
13 posters

Go down

A good concealed carry pistol that is affordable? Empty A good concealed carry pistol that is affordable?

Post by victor8881 Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:55 pm

I know the words carry and affordable should never go together, there is no price on the safety of your life! I'm looking to get a sub-compact pistol .40 S&W, or more in the range of .45cal. I'm very handy with Glocks, I know they functions and do everything they are suppose to do, but I'm not looking to fork out another 400-550 dollars for a pistol! I was looking at more affordable options and I came across a Taurus PT745 Millennium Pro which is very sub compact, just I'm not too sure about Taurus. I've seen there pistols at gun show, but never in my local area. When asked about them I was told "Taurus is made with crap metal, and horrible customer service...gun is worthless, but i'll order it if you want it" This is coming from the two local gun location in my area...(might be Taurus haters). I want to know if anyone has anything that needs to be address before I give this pistol a shot. It's compact and affordable... the low price tag of 357.99 is what worries me though. Let me know guys if you think this is a waste of money and I should look somewhere else.

victor8881

Back to top Go down

A good concealed carry pistol that is affordable? Empty Re: A good concealed carry pistol that is affordable?

Post by XbonesX Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:21 pm

several members here are Taurus fans, I am not. However, I've heard great things about their customer service even from the people who don't like them.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

A good concealed carry pistol that is affordable? Empty Re: A good concealed carry pistol that is affordable?

Post by CMAsailor Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 pm

personally... I'd just carry a full size and invest in a bitchen rig to carry it till the 450 dollar price tag looked more appealing... aaaaaand then i'd get a glock.

but that's just me. and i'm kinda tall so concealing a fullsize isn't as much a problem for me
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:01 pm

the only taurus i've shot was a snubie in 357, felt loose but i could hit 2x4s cut into squares at 75yards all day long if i payed attention. never played with a semiauto in taurus
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 pm

I have no experience with the Taurus line but I do like my Glock 27. I also have a Springfield XD sub compact in 9mm. I carry the Glock for CCW because the Glock fully loaded weighs like 26ozs where the Springfield XD subcompact weighs 26ozs unloaded and is slightly longer in the grip. You can buy both of them in the $465 range if you shop around. I say spend the extra 100 bucks and get a Glock.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:00 am

I am not going to help the situation here. I carry a full size Taurus 1911. I am about 5 foot 8 and weigh a little bit as you can see in the vid. I have no problem concealing it as the holster sits tight against my side and rides a little high. But not high to the point I can not draw it. I am not worried to much about weight as it is on my side. If my side can not handle the weight of the full size taurus, then I really need to hit the gym more than I thought.

I am not going to say I am a Glock fan, nor am I going to say I am not a Glock fan. The biggest thing holding me back from a Glock is the fact that I cast for my firearms as well. For some it might not be a big deal to buy an after market barrel to do this, however, I do not want to spend the price tag of a Glock then another 100 bucks or more for a barrel I can use. That is why I stick to the more friendlier firearms Smile

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by victor8881 Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:16 am

RemMan700 wrote:I have no experience with the Taurus line but I do like my Glock 27. I also have a Springfield XD sub compact in 9mm. I carry the Glock for CCW because the Glock fully loaded weighs like 26ozs where the Springfield XD subcompact weighs 26ozs unloaded and is slightly longer in the grip. You can buy both of them in the $465 range if you shop around. I say spend the extra 100 bucks and get a Glock.

I wanted to give another company a chance. Hoping a Taurus owner would say they had that gun and it was totally worth it. Glock to me is the most typical choice however, even if I can get my Glock 30 or 36 in the price range of under 500 dollars that base model only. If I want night sights and rail frame, I'm adding at least another $125 easy if not more. Still headed the Glock Direction though.

victor8881

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:25 am

Taurus has had a bad rap for years. People just refuse to look at them anymore which is just a shame. Taurus has turned around. The one thing most people do not mention is that most of the problems was with they revolvers and not their semi autos. I would not hesitate to carry a Taurus to protect my life, my childrens life or a life of someone that is in trouble. I would however hesitate to use a Taurus to save an enemy's life as their life isn't worth saving. Grant it that the only Taurus I have owned is a Taurus PT1911, BillArrington also owns a PT1911 and I know he also owns a Taurus ummm, man I done forgot what it was. I know it is a 45 caliber and it is not a 1911 but it is from Taurus. Personally, if I was to go into a gun shop and asked about a Taurus and got an answer that you recieved, that place would not get my business. I can't stand to have someone standing behind a counter and look down his nose and talk out his rear and put down a firearm that I am interested in just to have him push something down my throat just because people have bought them for years and the movies glorified them.

Sorry to vent about this Victor, it just irritates me to no end to read about people putting down a firearm where it does not need to be put down. Around here, the gunshops does not hesitate to carry Taurus handguns, nor can they keep them in stock at all times. I can walk in one day, see a nice Taurus come back 2 days later and it is sold.

If there is a range near you, and they rent handguns, like they do here, I would go there and see if they have the gun your looking for. Rent the gun and shoot it and see how you like it. That is only if your able to do so...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Well- I'm in a similar situation. I've been eyeing the glock 21 and now primarily the glock 30. I think the FNP-45 can handle cast bullets but it is over $600 in my area.

Those Taurus pieces look decent. For the right price I might try one of them. How could I say whether or not they are any good though? I've never shot one. The only thing that sketches me out is that they are less expensive; to the degree that you're bordering on the line of the "cheap gun" category. You do get what you pay for. If they were any cheaper it would be my instinct to avoid them all together.

With the pricing you mentioned, it sounds like an intriguing idea though. You could also buy a used G30 for maybe $100 less than new- and possibly already upgraded with the accessories you want.

It will be a while before I buy a new CCW piece. I have a lot of options to digest.

I like Daywalker's suggestion about testing some guns at the range before buying. Great idea. I didn't have that option when I was buying but I went to a lot of shops and held a lot of guns and talked to a lot of people. It did help slightly Surprised

Last edited by BigAgitator on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had a thought to think.)
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:27 pm

I picked up one of those German police trade-ins. The Sig Sauer P6...same as the P225. I paid less than $300 for it and it looked like it was never used. The single stack makes it a little slimmer and the alloy frame makes it really light to carry. It's only a 9mm and only carries 8 +1 rounds...I really don't think any more than that is required for a self defense gun you will be carrying.

I also have a double stack, 10rd capacity, 3.5" barreled 1911 45acp. It packs a punch and plenty of it. it is just to fat to carry comfortably for long periods of time.

For home defense , the sky is the limit Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:40 pm

Don't let the price catch you off gaurd. Being less in price does not mean andy lesser quality. This is another area people have gotten so used to believing and that is going to be a hard one to break. Myself, I like the lower price as they are more affordable. Pull trigger they go boom. My Taurus 1911 does not even come near the price of a (you name it here) and for that I am greatful. It sure does shoot as smooth as them.

Now, I am going to get crap for this remark, not sure why tho, however, I paid 150 bucks for a High Point 9mm, that thing shoots great, no jams and have never let me down. I have put over 1k rounds through it. IT costs 150 bucks and to some they would turn their nose up at it and not getit, their loss my gain hehehehe...... In this case yes you are right, you do get what you paid for, I paid for a high point and got to bring it home LOL Wink
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:04 pm

I really don't get people throwing off on Taurus and then talk about how good Beretta are. They are both made on the same machines pretty much. I came a hair trading for a PT1911 but we just couldn't get together. Just my 2 cents
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by victor8881 Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Daywalker wrote:Taurus has had a bad rap for years. People just refuse to look at them anymore which is just a shame. Taurus has turned around. The one thing most people do not mention is that most of the problems was with they revolvers and not their semi autos. I would not hesitate to carry a Taurus to protect my life, my childrens life or a life of someone that is in trouble. I would however hesitate to use a Taurus to save an enemy's life as their life isn't worth saving. Grant it that the only Taurus I have owned is a Taurus PT1911, BillArrington also owns a PT1911 and I know he also owns a Taurus ummm, man I done forgot what it was. I know it is a 45 caliber and it is not a 1911 but it is from Taurus. Personally, if I was to go into a gun shop and asked about a Taurus and got an answer that you recieved, that place would not get my business. I can't stand to have someone standing behind a counter and look down his nose and talk out his rear and put down a firearm that I am interested in just to have him push something down my throat just because people have bought them for years and the movies glorified them.

Sorry to vent about this Victor, it just irritates me to no end to read about people putting down a firearm where it does not need to be put down. Around here, the gunshops does not hesitate to carry Taurus handguns, nor can they keep them in stock at all times. I can walk in one day, see a nice Taurus come back 2 days later and it is sold.

If there is a range near you, and they rent handguns, like they do here, I would go there and see if they have the gun your looking for. Rent the gun and shoot it and see how you like it. That is only if your able to do so...

two indoor ranges where I currently live, they one place refuses to to sell anything Taurus his direct quote "I don't sell garbage in my store" then went on for ten minutes on how shitty it's made and it made with blah blah metal that is crap. You could tell right for the get go he's anti Taurus period. Although I feel his opinion is coming what he might have experienced, that's cool. I here people rant and rave about the Walther P-22 plinker pistol. If you ask me what I thought about that pistol I'd set here for 45 minutes and tell how much I hated it, and how it was a complete waste of money, but would I tell you not to buy it... that's your calls. Guy was a five alarm doucher! Other guy said similar things about how the gun isn't made well, but said if I wanted it he would order me anything I wanted. No range I've been to(and I've been to quite a few in California) have had a rental Taurus unless you want to shoot the revolver.

haven't ruled it out just yet, but because I'm so "convinced" that Glock is my "trusty" I might for personal reason just pick this up to keep my nerves at ease.

victor8881

Back to top Go down

Post by victor8881 Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 pm

BigAgitator wrote:Well- I'm in a similar situation. I've been eyeing the glock 21 and now primarily the glock 30. I think the FNP-45 can handle cast bullets but it is over $600 in my area.

Those Taurus pieces look decent. For the right price I might try one of them. How could I say whether or not they are any good though? I've never shot one. The only thing that sketches me out is that they are less expensive; to the degree that you're bordering on the line of the "cheap gun" category. You do get what you pay for. If they were any cheaper it would be my instinct to avoid them all together.

With the pricing you mentioned, it sounds like an intriguing idea though. You could also buy a used G30 for maybe $100 less than new- and possibly already upgraded with the accessories you want.

It will be a while before I buy a new CCW piece. I have a lot of options to digest.

I like Daywalker's suggestion about testing some guns at the range before buying. Great idea. I didn't have that option when I was buying but I went to a lot of shops and held a lot of guns and talked to a lot of people. It did help slightly Surprised

Yeah Taurus options are not available for me. Matter of fact, when I was living in Southern California the only range I was able to actually put Taurus pistol in my hands was in LA county! As for used on a CCW, I wouldn't feel comfortable and would just rather go brand new. I don't even shoot my reloads in any CCW weapon just for the simple fact that I'd rather put my faith in a company over myself.

Taurus: I have the same fears you have. I want the pistol because it reviews well, looks like everything I want, minus the Henie sight set up. That price scares me... when your looking at two weapons, one priced at 600 dollars and another one that is out the door nearly half the price you start to ask yourself is this a bargain or strap. I might take the gamble and buy this pistol, worst case I feel uncomfortable with it, I'll trade, sell it. Thanks for your input.

victor8881

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Which ever choice you decide man, it will be the right choice regardless the thought of anyone else. In the end, this is you were talking about and not us. I know there are things that I do not feel comfortable with that others just won't live without example, I am a beam scale person and not a digital scale type person. Each of us has their own comfort level and learning curve...

Can not wait to see what you end up with. You definatly have to give us a show and tell Wink
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:54 am

From what I've heard, Taurus had some glitches in the past but they have always been well known for using very high quality raw materials.

I forgot to add that to my last post. bom
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:04 pm

I own a few Taurus guns and like them enough to buy more. I would point out the Taurus PT709 slim as a fantastic carry piece. It’s a 9mm which some people may not like however it is a joy to carry. The gun comes with two 7 round mags, adjustable rear sight, great SINGLE ACTION trigger with double-strike capability, and a external “1911 like” safety, standard lead-loving rifling, and a lifetime warranty. I think it’s safer to carry than Glocks in condition one, but that's just me. I believe it’s Taurus’ best model made yet and highly recommend it for all day everyday carry. It goes for about $350-380. I would put it against any band firearm of that size and type. I have put about 1K rounds in mine with no issues, expect the slide not always holding open. The recoil is a little snappy though.
badjeep02
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by victor8881 Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:26 pm

UPDATE:

Actually found a used Taurus PT Millennium Pro, but in the .40 S&W and I have to save I was impressed on the overall size and feel of this pistol! Only down side to this pistol was the trigger pull was mighty long. with a few dry fires, I can tell you the trigger would take some time to adjust too, but something well worth getting use to. The extra safety options are a real waste, but again nothing I had a real issue with. Overall, the gun is decent in the hands, (as long as you get the three dot sight option). Made up my mind and decided that I'm picking this weapon up ask my new CCW!

victor8881

Back to top Go down

Post by billarrington Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:16 pm

i own 3 taurus' 24/7 oss in 9mm 24/7 pro in 45 and a 1911 they all feed my casts and squeezed bullets with no problems ,, im having the same problem buying a glock as daywalker ...have to buy a new barrel to use casts....also when they first came out the empty mag would not fall free, but i think they fixed that problem !! years ago !

billarrington

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:16 pm

victor8881 wrote:UPDATE:

Actually found a used Taurus PT Millennium Pro, but in the .40 S&W and I have to save I was impressed on the overall size and feel of this pistol! Only down side to this pistol was the trigger pull was mighty long. with a few dry fires, I can tell you the trigger would take some time to adjust too, but something well worth getting use to. The extra safety options are a real waste, but again nothing I had a real issue with. Overall, the gun is decent in the hands, (as long as you get the three dot sight option). Made up my mind and decided that I'm picking this weapon up ask my new CCW!

Oh my, how did I miss this? YIKES!! Wake up Daywalker LOL.. Congrats man. Great to hear that you decided on CCW. Can't wait to see pics of it....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:19 pm

i think the best carry pistol for the price is a tauras pt140 they are light comfortable and afforadable if held them there are really nice you can get them for 396 i want one but funds has not alowed yet
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Waldoone Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Has anyone had experience with the RugerSR9. I saw one at the gun show. I think in the $400 range. Good size for CCW and a smooth trigger for a stock pistol. Me thinks I like.
Waldoone
Waldoone

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:41 pm

no but you cant go wrong with a ruger i carry a p944 ruger love it just to darn heavy to conseal pulls my pants down lol!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:53 pm

a Kahr 9mm is a pretty good conceal they are light and have some punch
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down