Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ogive measurement

+3
Mohunter
RemMan700
sdsviper
7 posters

Go down

Ogive measurement Empty Ogive measurement

Post by sdsviper Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Ok this old brain of mine needs help. I'm going to start measuring all my loads from the ogive (I got a new bullet compator) Very Happy . My known loads that work will not change just that I will be working with the ogive number. The question is if I use a different bullet the ogive measurement should still be the same in that rifle to keep it the same off the lands???
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Ogive measurement Empty Re: Ogive measurement

Post by RemMan700 Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Lets say .002 off the lands is what you are using now. That is what you will use for the next bullet. However, your overall length will probably be different due to bullet weight and profile. Is that what you were wanting to know?
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 am

That's what I was looking for. The ogive was going to be my base line to work from. Then when I get a load that works use the ogive to set up the next time.The OAL changes with bullet type and weight and batchs so much I was hoping to cut down on the work up time. It should be a more reliable measurement.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 am

Measuring off the ogive is alot more accurate measurement that's for sure, but your C.O.A.L. will be different from one bullet to the next like RemMan said because of the shape of the bullet itself. I think when you go to a lighter bullet the steepness of the ogive on the shoulder of the bullet gets to be more extreme because the bullet will obviously be shorter, then if you go to a heavier bullet the ogive will change again because the bullet is longer.

That's how most bullet manufacturer's adjust the weight of their bullets, by making them longer or shorter but that doesn't always mean the ogive will change either. I don't think there is any real hard fast rule because just when you think you have a standard system figured out they come out with a new bullet design that shoots your procedures all to hell. Wink
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:44 am

Ok It looks like I will stick with working up loads like I always have then use the ogive to fine tune it.
Thanks for the help.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:50 am

Your seater die seats the bullet off the ogive and it is where the bullet makes contact with your rifling, so it only makes sense to measure from it. Bullet tips (meplate) generally have imperfections in them, so unless you trim them your measurements will vary.

However, I would not recommend using the same ogive seating depth for all bullets. Like Mo pointed out some bullets will be longer and some will be shorter, potentially causing a problem.

Stick to your load development and use your new tool for improvement to those loads. As we've all heard before, Consistancy = Accuracy.

Last edited by XbonesX on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am

XbonesX wrote:Your seater die seats the bullet off the ogive and it is where the bullet makes contact with your rifling, so it only makes sense to measure from it. Bullet tips (meplate) generally have imperfections in them, so unless you trim them your measurements will vary.

However, I would not recommend using the same ogive seating depth for all bullets. Like Mo pointed out some bullets will be longer and some will be shorter, potentially causing a problem.

Stick to your load development and use your new tool for improve those loads. As we've all heard before, Consistancy = Accuracy.

Amen
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:08 pm

XbonesX wrote:However, I would not recommend using the same ogive seating depth for all bullets. Like Mo pointed out some bullets will be longer and some will be shorter, potentially causing a problem.

What problems are you thinking of? The only problem I can think of is that perhaps the cartridge will be too long for the magazine.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:40 pm

well there are 2 measurements to take into consideration, Ogive to the base of the case like sdsviper is talking about, this could also be considered a headspace measurement.

What I was talking about is the actual ogive measurement, the ogive to the base of the bullet. If a bullet is longer then you could end up creating a compressed charge because the bullet will be seated deeper into the case. If it is a shorter bullet it might not be seated deep enough causing bullet tension problems. As a general rule of thumb you want the bullet seated into the case equal to its diameter.

Anatomy of a Bullet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1leZkmgzOKQ
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 am

Different bullets require different specifications on the load up, so treat them all differently. As Bones pointed out, they all seat from the ogive....so all bullets of the same manufacture and of the same type and weight will have the same adjusted seating depth.(oal may vary) Just be sure to work up a load for each type of bullet and/or chamber.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:02 am

hawcer wrote:Different bullets require different specifications on the load up, so treat them all differently. As Bones pointed out, they all seat from the ogive....so all bullets of the same manufacture and of the same type and weight will have the same adjusted seating depth.(oal may vary) Just be sure to work up a load for each type of bullet and/or chamber.

+1 on that I make up a master cartridge with the bullets I use and when i set up my seat die thats how I set it. Works for me like a champ.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum