Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My AR Pistol is about finished

+4
eagle60
RemMan700
Pathfinder
hawcer
8 posters

Go down

My AR Pistol is about finished Empty My AR Pistol is about finished

Post by hawcer Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:40 am

Here is a Ar pistol I put together. It still needs a few little things to be done( flash suppressor), but it is usable as is.

It is a RRA upper with a Adams arms piston kit,,handguard and carrier. The bolt head is a LMT enhanced, It has a 11.5" heavy barrel...I'm not sure on the manufacturer. The lower is a DoubleStar lower I built as pistol. The sights are from a unknown origin also. I went a little happy on the paracord,LOL.

My AR Pistol is about finished Dsc05011

yes, I know the buffer tube nut is on backwards....I do that for a reason. call it a Hawcer trademark Wink

Last edited by hawcer on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

My AR Pistol is about finished Empty Re: My AR Pistol is about finished

Post by Pathfinder Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 am

Damn that's nice bud!
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:51 am

Very cool. So did you have to get the lower registered as a pistol or was it already a pistol lower?
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 am

RemMan700 wrote:Very cool. So did you have to get the lower registered as a pistol or was it already a pistol lower?

As long as it was never a rifle, the receiver can be built into whatever....since this lower didn't come with a buttstock it isn't either a rifle or pistol until it is assembled. Some state laws may vary on the registering...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Very nice!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Gotta love RRA !! Nice gun
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 am

sweet that looks awsome
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I put over 100 rounds of various ammo through her without a hitch this past Saturday. I shot off the shelf Rem UMC, PMC and handload 55gr. I also shot my favorite 69gr 223 loads and some 75gr loads. I must have used up all the cheap Tula crap, cause I couldn't find any in my ammo stash. Too bad....I wanted to see if it would cycle in this piston upper since it won't in my 24" upper.

It won't completely cycle on the "half gas" position...and it's not supposed to either. That position is meant for the use of a sound suppressor and the extra back pressure that it causes.
It also worked great on the "no-gas" or single shot position.

I like the piston setup....hardly any soot, carbon or grime in the carrier and receiver. The front of the handguard gets a little dusted since that's the area of the gas vent....but that's no biggie.

It is loud as hell compared to my other 223's....so I don't think I'll be using a comp on it....that will just make it louder. It will prolly get a standard flash hider,LOL.

I have some vid footage my brother took, But my Movie maker doesn't recognize the format...so They have to be converted first.

It is a blast to shoot...hardly any recoil, so not having a buttstock wasn't a big deal. Who would have thought an AR pistol could be so fun.

I also see a holo type sight in the future.....My eyes just don't focus as fast as they used to using the Mil-spec sights.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Every AR pistol I have seen are ungodly loud. Even my 15" T/C Contender .223 barrel shooting NATO spec 5.56 is not as loud.

When I was in Texas a few years back the guys from LaRue had a couple of AR pistols they were fooling with. One was full auto capable and god awful loud!!

If I ever get a chance to get a AR pistol I think it would be a neat walk and stalk coyote rig.

My RRA is my safe queen. Only comes out for bench rest shooting in nice weather. The piston setup is nice, but if you clean and properly care for your weapon, not a really big improvement over the DI guns.

Stoner was trying to reduce parts in the rifle to simplify it why he came up with the DI system.

With the better metalurgy today, the DI guns can take some serious abuse before they fail. I own 2 piston driven ARs, a POF and a RRA, both are set up for long range shooting.

My POF is a coyote stalking rig that I bought 2nd hand with a 24" barrel and A1 stock. I'd love to drop a can on it some day.

When I was still Active Duty US Army in the Infantry some of the Special Forces guys were using piston driven POF M4s with cans. Seems the pistons tend to work a little better with the can when abused.

I've shot DI ARs with a can and man it makes a mess. Really dumps a lot of crap into the action. If I ever buy a can I want to full around with different powders like Tac and Zip to see if they do not crud up the action with a can as bad as mil spec H335 did.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:18 pm

Yeah...it's not like I had to have the piston system. My handloads burning varget shoot pretty damn clean....I can get away with only using a nylon brush and a rag to clean my 24" bull upper most of the time.

I have nothing against the DI gas system...it works great. But If I ever get a can in the future...I'm all set. Smile

It's just another toy that is different enough to add a little more appeal than the norm.

I was looking into swapping out the barrel for a 300 Blackout(which also goes by many other wildcat names), But Adams arms stated my piston system won't operate correctly with the lower pressure levels of the 300. So subsonic is out the window.... The closest thing I could get away with is the 6.8spc.

Edit:
Come to think of it....I bet I could get away with the piston system with the 300 if I was to swap out the operating rod for a pistol length rod instead of the carbine length. Of course I'd have to use a barrel that is machined for a shorty pistol gas system(which I think the 300 blackout uses anyway). But that's all future talk and possible backburner projects....for now I'm gonna enjoy it as is. Very Happy
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:10 pm

There are several guys shooting piston driven ARs in either AAC 300 Blackout or 300 Whisper in the single shot position.

You have to manually cycle the action, but it works. I know a few guys that are shooting 300 Whisper in a AAC 300 Blackout chamber with mixed results.

I concur enjoy it as it is. Its a sweet setup and should last quite a while before needing a refresh.

I do not use too much Varget in the .223 or 5.56. I tend to use a lot of TAC, Zip, Extermenator, H335, Benchmark, and A2015.

I have some cruddy mil surp H335 pull down powder I got from this fellow:

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

He's out of it now, but tends to get some every now and then. He's been a good source of cheap powder for plinking.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 pm

That looks very nice Hawcer. I have been thinking about building one myself. The local store here has quite a few of the ar lowers stamped pistol use only that I have been eyeballing... You may just have pushed me to sell off a few things once I get my ducks back in a row and caught up on some stuff....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down