Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam...

+4
hawcer
george457d
XbonesX
FWBGBS
8 posters

Go down

L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam... Empty L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam...

Post by FWBGBS Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm

of one or more manufacturers? Or, do you keep your loader as a single malt; so to speak.

I'm on the research leg of my die purchasing. I've read on other forums where folks buy different dies from different makers (depending on the caliber they are loading).
Die cost will be of no concern when I commit. I'm a strong advocate of the BOCO principle [buy once cry once].

Lastly, do you find any other press parts that load smoother outside of the Hornady family?
FWBGBS
FWBGBS

Back to top Go down

L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam... Empty Re: L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam...

Post by XbonesX Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Any manufacturers dies should work just fine on the LNL, however there are reports that some of the Lee dies are too short. I haven't been able to confirm this as I don't use Lee reloading dies. However, my Lee Universal Decapper works fine with it.

I personally recommend RCBS, Redding, Hornady, and Dillon dies. For the LNL I do prefer the Dillon dies as its a 4 die set, but Hornady's bullet seater plug is very awesome. If you get the Hornady's or any 3 die set I would suggest a seperate crimp die as I never seat and crimp in the same step.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam... Empty Re: L-N-L Owners: is your press an amalgam...

Post by george457d Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:41 pm

'OH wow ,I never thought 'bout using the Lee hand-press and ,
factory crimp-die while watch'n Monday-night-Raw ...
Yehaw
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:13 am

If you only have a couple calibers your are reloading for...might as well get Hornady dies to match your press.....plus you'll get more free bullets that way.Smile

The separate crimp die is an excellent suggestion. I'm not sure if Hornady makes them....but the Lee's work great.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:58 am

yes and no for acp cases hornady makes a separate taper crimp die. but they dont make a "FCD" die like others do. But you can buy a separate bullet seat crimp die and use one to seat and one to crimp.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by FWBGBS Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:10 am

Boy, you guys are quick to reply.
All your recommendations are much appreciated.

Guess I'll stick with Hornady throughout plus the crimp die.

How about the RCBS lockout die to avoid boo-boos?
FWBGBS
FWBGBS

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 am

I use the Hornady Powder Cop die which is like the RCBS Lockout Die but it doesn't actually lock the press. It is about half the price.

The LNL has 5 stations typically Size, Flare, Charge, Seat, Crimp. In order to use a powder check die you will need to combine steps somewhere such as Flare/Charge or Seat/Crimp. I bought this ( http://www.powderfunnels.com/ ) and Flare/Charge just like on a Dillon. Most people would Seat/Crimp though.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:40 am

XbonesX wrote:I use the Hornady Powder Cop die which is like the RCBS Lockout Die but it doesn't actually lock the press. It is about half the price.

The LNL has 5 stations typically Size, Flare, Charge, Seat, Crimp. In order to use a powder check die you will need to combine steps somewhere such as Flare/Charge or Seat/Crimp. I bought this ( http://www.powderfunnels.com/ ) and Flare/Charge just like on a Dillon. Most people would Seat/Crimp though.

+1, that's what I use
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:24 pm

I would also go with hornady dies. The free bullet offer makes it well worth it. The free bullets brings the price of the dies down. You do have to pay shipping, but still a great deal....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:58 am

Unfortunately i didn't get any free bullets when i bought my hornady LnL single stage + beam scale Sad Probarly because i live in South Africa ... lol

But overall, i don't have a single complaint with their stuff. The quality is exelent.
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down