Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Melting Lead

5 posters

Go down

Solved Melting Lead

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:27 am

Has anyone ever tried using a Fry Daddy type deep fat frier to melt lead? Before I spend money on one I want to make sure it will get hot enough.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Melting Lead

Post by Daywalker Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:10 am

I have read where others were going to try it. As long as it gets above 600 degrees, then it should be ok. My only question, don't frydaddys like cut on and off while cooking? I don't think they keep a constant temp. Not sure tho....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:35 am

Why get a fry daddy over a lee bottom pour? For $60?why not get right tool for the job?

Am I missing something about the fry Daddy?
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:06 pm

I use my turkey fryer to smelt the wheel weights then use the Lee production pot to cast.

The secret to using a turkey fryer is to melt a little at a time and then keep adding the wheel weights in, if you add a huge amount it will take forever to melt all down.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:19 pm

I don't recommend using the aluminum pot that comes with the fryer. I have seen the bottom of the pot give out under heat and the weight of the molten lead. The burner is an excellent choice for a heat source if using a cast iron pot,kettle or dutch oven to melt in.

Stay away from aluminum if at all possible....A stainless pot would be a last ditch choice if cast iron isn't available.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:47 pm

I have a Lee production pot. I was looking for something for initial melting and for items which needed a larger quanity of lead. The fact that the bottom may fall out is enough to steer me away. I quess I'll just start looking for a cheap hot plate.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down