Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard

+7
Rick459
XbonesX
Reload3006
Daywalker
eagle60
dartfreak75
BigAgitator
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Favorite die set for bolt action rifle

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_lcap19%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_lcap13%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_lcap19%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_lcap0%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_lcap25%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_lcap24%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard I_vote_rcap 24% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 16

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard Empty Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard

Post by BigAgitator Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:15 am

Well... The Tator's back!
I've been under the weather, busy, and out of money. Finally I've been able to afford that 300 Win Mag I've lusted after for so many years.

As for ammunition, I want to roll my own as soon as possible. I ask of you what would be the preferred die set?
I'll be running them in my lee classic turret press. Maybe I'll get a rockchucker someday but for now, I'm quite content with the turret.

I have my eye on the Lee Deluxe die set but I would select another brand if a compelling argument can be made.

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard Dlxrifledieset

This set seems like it's more geared for semis
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard PSdies-02

Feedback is appreciated.

It's great to be back on the forum!
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard Empty Re: Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 am

all of my rifle dies are pacesetters the only one that is not is my 45 acps and there rcbs and to be honest i dont like them i like lees 10 times better!!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard Empty Re: Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard

Post by eagle60 Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:02 am

I've always used Lee Pacesetter dies for my rifles simply because they were cheaper. I have never had any problems with them. I do have an old Herters set for the 30-06 that I want to try someday though -- I got that set in a trade several years back.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:00 am

I was under the impression that it was better not to resize the cases each time; that a fire formed case would be more accurate (?). Afaik, the pacesetter dies must resize the entire case, not just the neck. Correct me if I'm wrong.
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 am

Lee does make great dies and I do love them. Here is some food for thought. Hornady Dies. You get free bullets with each of their die sets you purchase. I am not sure if those bullets are on the list, however, great set of dies and free bullets to load to boot...

For precision shooting, neck sizing only is the way to go. I do not believe Lee has neck sizing only dies? Could be wrong. On the same note, Not sure about Hornady... I full length resize as I do like precision, however, I am not looking for bench rest type precision..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:03 am

I am a hands down RCBS guy but for me Hornady especially in a bolt action rifle is the way to go. Actually if cost was not problem I would get a RCBS FL set get a Hornady Seat die and get the Lee collet neck die. I personally dont have a very high opinion of the Lee FCD but it does come in handy when you want to make sure that you arent moving your bullet after its seated. IMO the above is the best and least expensive way to get to very good ammo yes you can spend a lot more and get RCBS or Redding Comp dies but I am not sure they will be any better. Oh yes tear off and throw away all the lock rings on all of them except the Hornady and replace them with Hornady lock rings the others are just pure Sh(( Happy loading Happy shooting...... My .02 if its worth that LOL
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:10 pm

I prefer RCBS, Hornady and Redding. With the long throats in the Vanguard your probably not going to need a high end set of dies, so get whatever you can afford. Hornady's free bullet offer make them my #1 choice right now in every-man's dies.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick459 Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:20 pm

if you are just going to shoot off the bench...then neck sizing and no crimp will be fine...if you are going to hunt with the rifle...then you need to F/L resize to avoid chambering issues when hunting dangerous game....and also crimp the bullets to avoid bullet set back in the magazine from recoil... as for dies... i would get the Lee Deluxe set and then add the factory crimp die.... as the Deluxe set comes with the F/L sizer and th Collet neck sizer.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZEas38vkKg
Rick459
Rick459

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:03 pm

i dont do alot of super accuracy type bench shooting all my loads are full length resized and for what i do accuracy is just fine iv got some sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards with lee pacesetters i like the pacesetter cause the crimp die is included but like rick said you could buy the crimp seperate and get the deluxe but that will cost you another 20 or so!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

What I like about the deluxe set is that I can choose to full length size my brass or leave it fire formed for more accuracy. I do like the idea of ease of chambering of the fully resized brass.... Just makes sense. I don't like the fact that the brass will wear a little quicker that way. The only downside to this set, as mentioned, is that I'd have to buy a crimp die.

Does anyone have a source where I could buy a 3 die set from hornady? Midway only has a 2 die set (wtf?)

Edit:
I can get the deluxe 3 die set from lee + the factory crimp die for $44 @ midway
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:34 pm

i dont know how often or how much you shoot but in my exprence i have load some 30-06 cased up to 7 times iv never had one wear out! but i have about 300-400 pieces of brass that i rotate !
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Well that's a good point.
I'd say that I shoot every couple of weekends. Sadly... and I mean Sadly, I don't think I make it to the range more than 20 times a year. Realistically, I'll probably fire about <30 boxes of ammo a year through this rifle.

Of course, I'd fire more ammo through my guns if I had more supplies on hand. I need to amass a horde of bullets and primers/powders
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 am

I really like Hornady rifle dies....
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:31 am

with all you guys voting for hornady dies i may have to buy some and try them out they must be really good dies!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 am

dartfreak75 wrote:with all you guys voting for hornady dies i may have to buy some and try them out they must be really good dies!

They are as smooth as butter....just be aware, some Hornady dies are picky and require the use of Hornady shell holders...of course this depends some on the chamber dimensions too.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:29 pm

hawcer wrote:
dartfreak75 wrote:with all you guys voting for hornady dies i may have to buy some and try them out they must be really good dies!

They are as smooth as butter....just be aware, some Hornady dies are picky and require the use of Hornady shell holders...of course this depends some on the chamber dimensions too.

I think more dies are these days. I recently had a question that pertained to this on my youtube channel. I know Tommy and I have had a long discussion on this before too.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Yes we have had long discussion and I have not been able to do some really in depth testing. Wich is planned once I figure things out. Would love to see some others test this as well...

The other thing about Hornady dies that I like, and bones had a problem with the handgun dies I believe, but for rifle, if you want some precision bullet seating, for around I believe 29.00, you can get the micrometer adjustment that screws into the top of the die. Then you can make very minute adjustments. The great thing with this also, if you have hornady dies for each caliber rifle you own, you can move the micrometer adjustment stem from die to die without having to buy each time.... I plan on getting one soon....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Reload3006 wrote:Oh yes tear off and throw away all the lock rings on all of them except the Hornady and replace them with Hornady lock rings the others are just pure Sh(( Happy loading Happy shooting...... My .02 if its worth that LOL
Amen. I wonder if Hornady has a patent on good lock rings. Otherwise it is one of the great mysteries of the universe as to why others cannot make good lock rings like Hornady.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 am

This is a great thread!
Those hornady dies are becoming more and more compelling. They do cost more money but I'm aware of the free bullet deal.

All I see available is the 2-die set. Does that mean I'd have to buy the third die separately?
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:45 am

I have noticed that some of you are talking about fire formed cases. It is probilbly not a big deal for most but I remember reading (and this was decades ago) that a fire formed case is firearm specific. So if you have more than one firearm in the same caliber it could pose a problem with chambering.

Just thought I would toss that in to see what the opinions are.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Sasquatch,

From what I've heard, you are correct. Fire formed cases can never be used in multiple firearms, even of the same model. In my scenario, I highly doubt that I will ever possess more than one of these .300 Win Mag rifles. No one I know owns one so ammo sharing isn't likely either.
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 pm

i not trying to change my vote or anything but as much as i like the pacesetters for there value 3 dies for less than 30 bucks (in most cases) the i rarly use the crimp die cause 90% of the bullets i use have a cannalure so i just roll crimp them! so the hornadys look very compelling to me
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 am

You only get a 2 die set with Hornady. I am not sure if they have a neck sizing only die. Will have to lookin into this and see. Again, not meaning to repeat myself, the free bullets and the 29 dollar micrometer for very precise minute changes that you can use from one hornday die to another (bones had problems with the handgun dies), if they have the neck sizing only die available then great. If not, and do not quote me, I believe you can set the fl sizing die high enough to size only the neck. Just get a universal depriming die to deprime. I will do some checking into this...

I thought I read somewhere about that fl sizing die, before I make that my final answer, I am going to research one more time... Stand by...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:53 am

You can neck only with the hornady did by just not screwing it all the way down. all it will do is neck size.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 am

Reload3006 wrote:You can neck only with the hornady did by just not screwing it all the way down. all it will do is neck size.

That is what I thought. He wants to neck size only so that it fireforms to his rifle and none other. I am glad that I did learn something and retained the information LOL...

It is interesting that we are on this topic. I had someone post a comment on my youtube channel. Said this hornady die crushes the shoulder like crazy.. I think his head has been crushed one too many times lol..

At any rate... There you go BA, you can neck size only with a FL sizing die just as Reload says. Do not screw the die all the way down. Be sure to get a universal decapping die so you can deprime...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next