Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard

+7
Rick459
XbonesX
Reload3006
Daywalker
eagle60
dartfreak75
BigAgitator
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Favorite die set for bolt action rifle

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_lcap19%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_lcap13%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_lcap19%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_lcap25%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 4 ]
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_lcap24%Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 24% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 16

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard

Post by Reload3006 Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:59 am

it will deprime too. Just smoke one of your case shoulders and make sure that you don't get into the shoulder and all you have done is neck size. For no more money than they charge I would get a Lee collet neck die to go along with a hornady set. My reason for it is IMO there is not a better bullet seating die on the market than Hornady. I believe if you get a neck only set you've hamstrung yourself. If you get a bunch of range brass or once fired you need to full length size it until its shot in your gun. and If you plan on hunting with it IMO you should fl size it to avoid any cycling issues.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 Empty Re: Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard

Post by Daywalker Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 am

Very excellent points!!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick459 Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:41 pm

you can not just neck size with a F/L sizing die...you can partial size with it because as you size the neck it will also start sizing the case body. most people that use a F/L sizer to partial size their cases only size a small portion of the neck as to not work the case body too much...neck sizers just size the case neck and do not touch the case body..if you could jjust neck size with a F/L sizer there would be no need for a neck sizing die...
Rick
Rick459
Rick459

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 pm

That's the thing I like about the lee. If I buy the deluxe set, I can choose to either size neck only OR size FL. That is the most versatile IMO.

However, I am hearing enough good stuff about the hornady dies that I am leaning towards that 2-die set.

I take it that one die does a FL resizing and the other is for seating the bullet. I will read up on the specifics but at this time I do not know whether or not the seating die provides me with any kind of a crimp.

Since I'm not doing a lot of super-accurate shooting competitions, etc... It might not be a bad thing to just always do FL resizing. I'm coming around to that notion but it is nice to have versatility and be able to choose.

EDIT:
I re read Hornady's info on the dies. Seems it will apply a crimp for me. The detractor to the set is that I have to buy a separate shellholder. On the good side, the set is less expensive than I was originally quoted. $32 @ midway
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:22 pm

BigAgitator wrote:That's the thing I like about the lee. If I buy the deluxe set, I can choose to either size neck only OR size FL. That is the most versatile IMO.
The Lee 3 die set is one fl size bullet seat/crimp and Factory crimp die

However, I am hearing enough good stuff about the hornady dies that I am leaning towards that 2-die set.

I take it that one die does a FL resizing and the other is for seating the bullet. I will read up on the specifics but at this time I do not know whether or not the seating die provides me with any kind of a crimp.
the hornady 2 die set provides a fl size die and a bullet seat crimp die

Since I'm not doing a lot of super-accurate shooting competitions, etc... It might not be a bad thing to just always do FL resizing. I'm coming around to that notion but it is nice to have versatility and be able to choose.

EDIT:
I re read Hornady's info on the dies. Seems it will apply a crimp for me. The detractor to the set is that I have to buy a separate shellholder. On the good side, the set is less expensive than I was originally quoted. $32 @ midway

Lee is the only die set that comes with a shell holder
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:10 pm

thats a good point reload them shellholders arent cheap eithor!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:05 pm

Lol.
The economy wouldn't be in ruin if our shellholders weren't so god-awful expensive scratch
Choosing dies for Weatherby Vanguard - Page 2 Shellholder
It's looking like Hornady might get the nod
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:47 pm

I splurged and paid like 20 bucks and got a set of lee shellholders that comes in a green case. It has every shellholder for every caliber that is common.

Hey, we didn't get into reloading to save money right? LOL
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 am

BigAgitator wrote:Lol.
The economy wouldn't be in ruin if our shellholders weren't so god-awful expensive scratch
lol there more than that at wal mark i cant remember but i think there around 10 bucks !
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 pm

Well, I'm getting mine from Larry Potterfield and That's The Way It Is.

So it looks like I'd be all set if I bought the following:

Hornady 2 die set
Lee $hellholder
Bullets
Primers
Powder
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:12 pm

dartfreak75 wrote:
BigAgitator wrote:Lol.
lol there more than that at wal mark i cant remember but i think there around 10 bucks !

LOL, not quite. The most I seen them at walmart is like 4 bucks...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:30 pm

They're pushing $9 at my local Cabeller's (as we mainahs call it)
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:17 am

Shellholders at Wal-Mart? That's a joke, right?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:15 am

no joke rcbs to be exact!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:02 am

When Walmart first opened their doors here they had reloading gear. I bought lots of it. then all of a sudden bang its gone and hasn't been back.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:26 pm

I think some wal marts still carry bolt action rifles!

I saw some muzzle loaders at my local wal maat (as massachusetts people call it)
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:02 am

The walmart here in Martinsburg WV carries a fair line of rifles, ammo, black powder gear and hunting supplies. No reloading though.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Yea the Walmart I work at, has rifles but no reloading gear. However, all the other walmarts close by to the one I work at carries everything from RCBS gear, press's you name it, and some lyman equipment and powders, bullets, brass, primers. I have been talking with my store manager as well as the district manager to start stocking it at my store...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Daywalker wrote:Yea the Walmart I work at, has rifles but no reloading gear. However, all the other walmarts close by to the one I work at carries everything from RCBS gear, press's you name it, and some lyman equipment and powders, bullets, brass, primers. I have been talking with my store manager as well as the district manager to start stocking it at my store...

Tell them that the sore in the southern hills shopping center in West Plains need reloading gear too
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:15 am

which one u work at?
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:20 am

dartfreak75 wrote:which one u work at?

The one right up the road from my house... You know the town I live in...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:58 am

nice. Keep after 'em, Tommy. It'd be slick if your local wal mart could supply these products- and possibly at some kind of an employee discount (?)

I'm leaning towards the hornady set but it will be a tad bit of time before I have the moneys.
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:43 am

Ah, we already get a discount hehehe.... Even on sporting goods and firearms Wink
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 am

My point is that it'd be golden if you could get all your reloading supplies there as well Twisted Evil
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Daywalker wrote:
dartfreak75 wrote:which one u work at?

The one right up the road from my house... You know the town I live in...
yeap they got a pretty good deal on a muzzleloader right now!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next