Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swage Lube Mix

+4
algunjunkie
hawcer
Reload3006
Sasquatch-1
8 posters

Go down

Swage Lube Mix Empty Swage Lube Mix

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:57 am

I got my lanolin and castor oil yesterday. Was surprised that they both showed up on the same day as they came from different vendors and by different carriers. I just want to verify the mix before I start. If I take a measuring cup and fill it out with lanolin and the same cup filled with castor oil is this the correct mix? Just want to make sure if the liquid should be the same volume as the butter or less.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Swage Lube Mix Empty Re: Swage Lube Mix

Post by Reload3006 Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:47 am

I guess the best mix would be 50% 50% but the honest answer is gently heat the Lanolin and add the Castor oil until you have the consistency you want. if you want it thicker add less Castor want it a little thinner use more the really kewl thing is both oils are excellent swage lubes you could use both alone. I Like it a tad runny but now that I am drawing a lot of jackets from tubing I like it with more Lanolin more of a grease consistency.

Last edited by Reload3006 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 am

yep, mix it 1 to 1. It will be thicker like a paste when cooler and will get kinda runny like a gel during the summer unless in a climate controlled environment.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:23 am

Just mixed up my first batch. Yehaw I used 1 lb of lanolin and 16 ozs of castor oil. I figured if it is to far one way or the other I can tweek it down the road. I think I will be in lube fore quite a while if this stuff works the way everyone says it does.

Did I see where some of you actual use this for case sizing lube?
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 am

use it for all your reloading lube needs...it is the best case lube you can use. Smile

A dab will do ya....a greasy finger goes a long way Wink

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 am

hawcer wrote:use it for all your reloading lube needs...it is the best case lube you can use. Smile

LMAO Hawcer my mind went straight to the gutter .... this thread could get nasty really fast....

CONGRATS ON THE LUBE MIX you won't be disappointed. Its all I use now for everything.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 am

Reload3006 wrote:
hawcer wrote:use it for all your reloading lube needs...it is the best case lube you can use. Smile

LMAO Hawcer my mind went straight to the gutter .... this thread could get nasty really fast....

CONGRATS ON THE LUBE MIX you won't be disappointed. Its all I use now for everything.

Funny how the same thing went through my mind. It must have been the greasy finger part.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:41 pm

haha

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:17 pm

algunjunkie wrote: haha

Does this smilie have a geasy finger??? Darn
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:53 am

oh yes! And maybe in the right direction. lol!

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:08 pm

cheers :worthless-with Let's see how far we can push this before the admin-police come in to put a screeching halt to this thread!
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by fla9-40 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:51 am

Sasquatch-1 wrote:I got my lanolin and castor oil yesterday. Was surprised that they both showed up on the same day as they came from different vendors and by different carriers. I just want to verify the mix before I start. If I take a measuring cup and fill it out with lanolin and the same cup filled with castor oil is this the correct mix? Just want to make sure if the liquid should be the same volume as the butter or less.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but where is the best place to get lanolin?

fla9-40

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:56 am

fla9-40 wrote:
Sasquatch-1 wrote:I got my lanolin and castor oil yesterday. Was surprised that they both showed up on the same day as they came from different vendors and by different carriers. I just want to verify the mix before I start. If I take a measuring cup and fill it out with lanolin and the same cup filled with castor oil is this the correct mix? Just want to make sure if the liquid should be the same volume as the butter or less.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but where is the best place to get lanolin?

Google "anhydrous lanolin"......plenty of places to get it from and in whatever quantity you want. Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 am

I just did a search online as hawcer suggested. Make sure you get the anhydrous lanolin. I saw some others that were not pure. To tell the truth I can't remember where I got them.

If you anal about appearences you may want to pick up some citric acid to clean the brass after annealling. It helps remove any dark marks from where you apply heat. You may also need a heat osurce such as an old crock pot.

If you get 16ozs of each you should have enough FOREVER.

Now mind you, I learned all this in the last 6 months. So someone may chime in with a different oppinion that may be closer to being correct. Smile
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by fla9-40 Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 am

I use Lemi-Shine in my sonic cleaner, will that work as well to remove the annealing marks?

http://www.lemishine.com/

fla9-40

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 am

yes it will ... some times it leaves them looking copper washed but works good. they still arent usually going to be pretty. if i really want purdy boolits i toss them in my vibratory tumbler and let them shake for a couple hours usually it shines them up pretty good.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:44 am

I have never used it, but I think it's the same thing. I am sure someone will answer that one correctly.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:23 pm

fla9-40 wrote:I use Lemi-Shine in my sonic cleaner, will that work as well to remove the annealing marks?

http://www.lemishine.com/

Thats what I use in mine. Cleans the annealing marks good. The case kinda looks a cream color afterwards. But that will polish up while swaging. Or toss in tumbler...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldrodder Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:05 pm

When using citric acid or Lemishine, remember, a little goes a looooooooooong way. Kind of like the "greasy finger" when swaging. I use a rotary tumbler with a 3lb tub to clean my RF cases and finished bullets. For the cases, I put in a few hundred cases, a handful of stainless pins, 1 or 2 drops ( really, 1 or 2 drops) of Dawn dish soap, and half a .22 case of Lemishine. I add just enough water to make a slurry and tumble it for about an hour. If you use too much Lemishine (citric acid) you will leach the zinc out of the brass and it turns a "coppery colour" kinda pinkish hue. For the finished bullets, everything the same except the media is ceramic pellets. Works wonderfully well.

Swage Lube Mix IMG_0931_zpsaea0b687

Swage Lube Mix IMG_0928_zpsf82f2c49

Swage Lube Mix Bulletsampcores_zpsa53017d9

A tubful of cores and clean bullets.
Swage Lube Mix Swaged224_zps1acf7778

Mike

oldrodder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down