Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New small caliber rifle decision

+8
dartfreak75
XbonesX
RemMan700
RichBirdHunter
hawcer
Reload3006
brow_tines
Daywalker
12 posters

Go down

New small caliber rifle decision Empty New small caliber rifle decision

Post by Daywalker Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 am

Ok, fellas, and gals, I am doing something I usually don't do. I learned from expirence that when you ask a question about which firearm to buy, you get too many different varience and still are left wondering.

A friend of mine wants to purchase a .22lr. He was asking me which one was the best to get. Now, me, not really into the smaller caliber, really do not know what to tell him. If I bought one, I would walk in and get the cheapest .22 there was, which would be a cricket but they are too short. I did ask what the intent was and was told small game like squirrl and things like that.

My intital thought was maybe a .22 magnum or even a 10/22 but, I really don't know the budget and not sure which route to try to persuade him. He does not know much about firearms either. This is going to be a survival type rifle as he is starting to "prep" for a financial collapse of sorts. He did get a shotgun and is looking into reloading for it, but wants an outfit that is capable of being put into a pack when needing to get out of dodge. He is going to the range and practicing with the shotgun every chance he can get and takes it down and puts it back together to learn it.

So with that information at hand, What say you?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New small caliber rifle decision Empty Re: New small caliber rifle decision

Post by brow_tines Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:34 am

10/22 carbine I love mine Smile
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 am

The truest out of the box 22lr I ever shot was a remington 572? the pump action. A buddy of mine got one of those winchester 9422s that would shoot with it great little guns. My first knee jerk reaction was for the 10/22 because you can customize them like crazy the list of options is unbelievable. But then you said he basically wants a squirrel gun. back to the Remington 572. Dont know if they even make those or not anymore
New small caliber rifle decision 2931
I am sure you can get one in good condition at a pawn shop for around 150ish. You dont have to break the bank but I have learned you get what you pay for. I hear the Marlin bolt 22s are pretty good but haven't tried one.

Last edited by Reload3006 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 am

10/22 if he prefers a semi-auto or a Savage markII if he prefers a bolt action
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:24 am

The 10/22 is a top choice, they are the VW bug of guns. Easy to work on and more after market parts then they have the 10/22 it's self.
The gun just runs, very little up keep, for $20 you can shoot the thing all weekend long.

With all those pros you will get very good with this gun very quick.
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:50 am

There are a lot of good .22's out there and it is hard to go wrong with any of them. My suggestion would be the Marlin model 60 or the Ruger 10/22.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:09 pm

My little brother was in the same boat this weekend...looking for a good 22lr at the gunshow. He ended up buying my 10/22 ...so all is well Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:49 pm

I hate my 10/22 and would only suggest he buys an older one if he wants to go that route. I haven't checked out the new ones, but IMO the ones made in the last 10 years have inferior metal and quality.

I am looking into a Savage bolt action right now, but can't decide on small caliber either.

Last edited by XbonesX on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:38 pm

i have a model 60 good gun had a savage model 64 at one time i loved that gun wished id never sold it! i bout the model 60 a couple years ago to replace it id go with a 10-22 you can buy anything for them barrels stocks triggers you can start out with a 150 dollar plinker and end up with a match gun if you want! if he wants a bolt action id go with a marlin or a savage both are nice!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:17 pm

My favorite .22 is one that my grandfather owns(and hopefully I'll get it this summer). It is a winchester 1906 pump. The most accurate .22 I've ever shot. Don't know how practical they are to find.

You mentioned that he wanted to put it in his pack, I have seen the Henry survival .22s at the store, everything comes apart and goes inside the stock. I don't know anything else about them, maybe someone here has delt with them.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Is he dead set on a .22?
If he is looking for a small caliber look into the .17hmr there are many makes of them and from the reviews that I have read between the Marlin, Savage, and I believe it was Ruger all had high reviews.

I have the Marlin and it is extremely accurate out to 100 yards. (i have not shot it farther yet) at 100 yards I can put 3 shots under a 9mm case with a cheap scope on it.

If he is set on a .22 you can find a used one reasonable, savage, Marlin, lakefield make real good bolt actions. In a semi auto I would look at the remington 597. Unless like bones said you can find an older 10-22. I just don't think the quality is there in the newer 10-22's.

Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 pm

The Marlin 60 or the 10/22 gets my vote. I've a Marlin for many years and have been extremly satisfied with it.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Daywalker wrote:This is going to be a survival type rifle as he is starting to "prep" for a financial collapse of sorts. He did get a shotgun and is looking into reloading for it, but wants an outfit that is capable of being put into a pack when needing to get out of dodge. He is going to the range and practicing with the shotgun every chance he can get and takes it down and puts it back together to learn it.

He will love the AR-7:

New small caliber rifle decision H002b-survival-opent

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-survival-ar7.cfm

EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Well, after all of the suggestions I have given him based what I read on here, he went on and purchased a Savage Model 64 .22lr. I have not heard if he shot it yet or not so I am not sure of how it worked out.

Thanks everyone for your inputs...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down