Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drink the Blue Kool-aid

5 posters

Go down

Drink the Blue Kool-aid Empty Drink the Blue Kool-aid

Post by Reload3006 Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Well a while back Tommy had some square deals for sale. I bought one of em. and It kinda reminded me of a joke I heard one time about boiled Okra. There was this farmer who made a pot of boiled okra but only a part of the pot got ate so he tossed it out for his Coon dogs. Well the coon dog who got to it first ate it and it went down so fast he jumped on the other coon dog figured he got it on him.
Well just like Tommy had a bunch of them square deals. I just ordered a XL650 with case feeder. I got the conversion kits to get me through all my pistols. but am going to have to read some books because I cant see that I need a complete conversion kit for my rifles too. For example 45acp uses the same shell holder as 3006 and 308 based cartridges.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Drink the Blue Kool-aid Empty Re: Drink the Blue Kool-aid

Post by XbonesX Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Congrats. I know a lot of people love their Dillon stuff. The Blue Kool-aid wasn't for me, but last I heard the guy who bought mine still loves it.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Doesn't blue kool-aid turn your excrement green?...maybe it's the purple Kool-aid....either way you end up with GREEN in the end.

lol!
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:04 pm

actually if RCBS would offer a case feeder the pro 2000 is the press i would have bought. I absolutely love that press. but I emailed them and asked about a case feeder they told me they would not ever offer one.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Reload3006 wrote:actually if RCBS would offer a case feeder the pro 2000 is the press i would have bought. I absolutely love that press. but I emailed them and asked about a case feeder they told me they would not ever offer one.

I wonder why that is....strange, they had a case feeder on the green machine progressive press.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:53 pm

You can buy case feeders from KISS and the Hornady unit works too I believe. If I remember right Gavin at ultimatereloader had it setup.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:34 am

Congrats on the new purchase. I still have 2 Square Deals. Hopefully in a couple weeks, I will be able to send the one I knocked off the shelf and get it fixed and updated at the same time. Just waiting on the bonus check to come in so I can do it!! I will keep doing my handguns on the Square Deal.

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Well Bones you had me bummed but I have checked out every lead I can find and I can see automatic bullet feeding but not case feeding on the 2000 so I am happy.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Daywalker wrote:I still have 2 Square Deals.
I read where Mike Venturino likes the Square Deal because they take up less space on the bench than other progressive presses. Not using standard dies seems like a big negative to me. May I ask, in a friendly way I hope, why do you like the Square Deal?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:44 am

Well I have had my XL-650 now for a while. I have to say the Blue Kool-aid tastes pretty good. It is a very expensive piece of equipment. Definitely not for everyone. There are things about it that I absolutely love and things that are just ok. Price of caliber change kits are exorbitant. IMO Worth the money in the long run but upfront ouch. Tool heads are IMO pretty expensive too. Lets face it if its blue bring your check book.
Some of the things I have heard about Dillon people I never had heard before I became one LOL. Seems people who have the 550 are some hard core people. I was called an idiot for buying my 650 when "The 550 is a much better press". This was from the reloading shop owner that I buy most of my components from .... and he is a Dillon dealer? Finally I said look the money is spent your point is moot. I was asking whether or not I had to buy complete conversion kits for each caliber or just the parts needed. Well he lied to me saying I had to buy the whole enchilada when Dillon sells the individual pieces. Most of the stuff he didn't have and I would have had to order it. I asked him why I should buy it from him when I can order it from Dillon and have it shipped to my door. LOL he said you don't get friendly support. Really .... what he lost was a customer. I have not used the Hornady LNL but believe it to be a good press too and probably close in quality and a lot less money. The down side to the LNL is the die system ... It works good but IMO is not as convenient as the slide in and out of the complete deal that Dillon has.
I was told that setting up the XL 650 was a big chore Maybe its because I am a tool maker by trade I dont know but I didnt find it to be all that bad. Thought the whole process was pretty much straight forward. Now that I own the Square Deal and the XL 650 I have to say both presses have their pluses and minuses. They all get the job done. So far in both the Dillon SD and 650 I have used H110, IMRsr4756 and Unique, Red Dot all have measured and metered accurately with no Issues.
The biggest down side with all Dillon machines for me at least is the shell retention buttons. Some people say they don't like the spring on the Hornady but I am not sure that its not the best way. The buttons work but are a pain.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down