Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help with building a AR-15?

4 posters

Go down

help with building a AR-15? Empty help with building a AR-15?

Post by victor8881 Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 am

I'm thinking of selling my AR and building one myself. I've heard people tell me they have built there own and bought all the parts, but I'm not too sure how "easy" this is? If it's just buying an upper and lower and putting it together... I'm ok with that, but I don't want to install my own springs and trigger system... sounds like way too much for me. if any of you have done this let me know how much effort it will take to do this.

victor8881

Back to top Go down

help with building a AR-15? Empty Re: help with building a AR-15?

Post by XbonesX Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:33 am

this is the video I used to build my first one. completed my first stripped lower in 45-50 minutes, next couple I did in under half an hour. not the best out there, but its free.
http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/Home/RangeBag/AR15StrippedLower

i highly recommend it if not only for the fact that you learn how the AR operates and how to fix it.

I have not built an upper, doesnt seem all that hard, but i'm more concerned about proper barrel alignment, headspace, etc, etc.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:38 am

Taking an empty lower, adding your lower parts kit, stock and attaching the upper, is as simple as changing the oil in your car. Seriously. I was so nervous when I built my first one. Then afterwards, it was like, what, what was that? This can't be that easy.. It is... I went to AR15.com and downloaded their building guide and went right along with it. After you do your first one, the second one will go much faster. Might even be able to put together your lower reciever with springs and trigger in less than 30 minutes and be ready to shoot.

I know of a site that I bought my Stag upper from. XbonesX bought his preditor upper from the same sight as well. The lowest price I have found. To let you know...

I bought the Stag 2h upper came with a completer lower parts kit and 6 position collapsable stock. 525 shipped if memory serves. With a 125.00 Stripped lower, 650.00 I have a very nice ar15. Top with a 409.00 Eotec and you become the envy of the range...

I will try to find that site and let you know what it is unless XbonesX beats me to it...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:52 am

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am

Yep he beat me to it LOL....

Thanks bones

It apears the sale I got is over. However, the Stag 2H upper with Lower Parts Kit and Collapsable stock is 614.00 shipped...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by victor8881 Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 am

Daywalker wrote:Taking an empty lower, adding your lower parts kit, stock and attaching the upper, is as simple as changing the oil in your car. Seriously. I was so nervous when I built my first one. Then afterwards, it was like, what, what was that? This can't be that easy.. It is... I went to AR15.com and downloaded their building guide and went right along with it. After you do your first one, the second one will go much faster. Might even be able to put together your lower reciever with springs and trigger in less than 30 minutes and be ready to shoot.

I know of a site that I bought my Stag upper from. XbonesX bought his preditor upper from the same sight as well. The lowest price I have found. To let you know...

I bought the Stag 2h upper came with a completer lower parts kit and 6 position collapsable stock. 525 shipped if memory serves. With a 125.00 Stripped lower, 650.00 I have a very nice ar15. Top with a 409.00 Eotec and you become the envy of the range...

I will try to find that site and let you know what it is unless XbonesX beats me to it...

I forgot to add in my question... IT MUST BE CALIFORNIA LEGAL!!!!!

victor8881

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:12 am

ah the infamouse bullet button.....

Everything but the mag release button I believe is California legal. From my understanding and this is where you will have to correct me, the only thing is you can not be able to release the magazine without the use of a tool.. In other words, you have to push a tool, in this case the nose of a button, into a hole to release the mag. And if the mag is a 30 rounder then you have to put in a special place to keep the legal amount of rounds the mag can hold.

I believe that installing the bullet button isn't all that bad. Once again, I can not honestly say that as I don't live in california and have not had to build per the California law...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by victor8881 Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:18 am

Daywalker wrote:ah the infamouse bullet button.....

Everything but the mag release button I believe is California legal. From my understanding and this is where you will have to correct me, the only thing is you can not be able to release the magazine without the use of a tool.. In other words, you have to push a tool, in this case the nose of a button, into a hole to release the mag. And if the mag is a 30 rounder then you have to put in a special place to keep the legal amount of rounds the mag can hold.

I believe that installing the bullet button isn't all that bad. Once again, I can not honestly say that as I don't live in california and have not had to build per the California law...

LOL the more difficult it start to sound the more I keep saying "I'm doing this to prove a point" Very Happy Will do some more research, I been thinking of decking out my new Kel Tec SU-16 rifle with rail frames and installing a possible adjustable stock. This weapon is pretty bad ass considering I can literally fold it in half and put it in a backpack or under my seat. Possible dual weapon upgrade/build project in the making???? My better half is going to try to give me the pink slip if I pick up another "project"... I have at least 5 currently, and 4 are related to guns or ammo!

victor8881

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:23 am

Sounds like a kicking project for sure...

Right now my projects have been put on hold. After January, I will pick them back up again. The wife, everytime I start talking about another firearm or something, she throws the lather back in my face LOL.... You got a lathe, turn you one and so forth and so on... but it is cool.....

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:47 am

The lower is a piece of cake to build and you should be able to do it pretty quickly. Installing the bullet button will be easy as well. Did you know they make a little magnet thingy that sticks onto the bullet button to where you dont have to poke the tip of a bullet to release the mag? It is for those times that you want to use your gun outside of Cali Wink
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:55 am

Would that be one of them things tho, if you are caught with it on your person, not installed but laying around, that you would be in trouble just for having it in Cali?

Kinda like if you have Full Auto parts laying around, no stamp and you own an AR, then your in trouble type ordeal?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum