Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PVC Target Stand

3 posters

Go down

PVC Target Stand Empty PVC Target Stand

Post by XbonesX Mon May 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Now I don't take any credit for the design or idea, but I finally decided to make some PVC Target Stands for taking to the Utah Desert. I took 4 first time shooters out on Saturday and figured I needed something nicer than a cardboard box on the ground.

I went to Lowes and bought:
(2) 1.5" x 10' Sch 40 PVC Pipe
(4) PVC T's
(4) PVC 90 Degree Elbows
(4) PVC End Caps
(2) 1x2" Furring Strips (you can use 2x2 strips but you'll need to go to 2" PVC piping).
Total cost was about $30 for 2 target stands.

The design was/is similar to this one: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here is another design: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The difference with mine over the first link is I did mine 2' back and 16" to the front, and only 12" for the upright tubes. I also made mine just shy of 2' wide to accommodate larger targets (cut to 21" and you gain a bit from the elbows).

Now, if you look at those measurements and realize that it is 5" longer than how much pipe I bought, you get a cookie. I did have some scrap left over from the previous Cleaning Rod project ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]). You will have to adjust the measurements to fit your needs. The first guys link everything is cut to 16" which will give you 8" of scrap. The second link the guys measurements put you over 12' of material.

I weighed mine down with some rocks, but sandbags or shot bags would work better for a windy day. I did not glue mine so I could adjust it to the terrain, replace any part that might get shot, and for take down as I have limited trunk space. Not buying the PVC Primer and Glue also saves about $10-15.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

PVC Target Stand Empty Re: PVC Target Stand

Post by hawcer Mon May 07, 2012 4:49 pm

Cool!

Now make a taller frame, add some netting and you have a brass catcher Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon May 07, 2012 4:51 pm

hawcer wrote:Cool!

Now make a taller frame, add some netting and you have a brass catcher Smile

Very good idea!
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Mon May 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Cool!
pops just dug some holes and put the PVC in the dirt and used the portable target backs at the different ranges he put the pvc in the dirt at... 25/30/50/75/100/150yrds and when the hippy friends came to visit he pulled out the targets and you couldn't see the PVC above the grass. Same concept, but yours is Truly portable. dad has his own plot of land though.

Perhaps filling the bottom with sand would help with wind? or water... water you could pour out and keep the car clean. I like it, I'll make me one for up north.
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Yeah, once I buy a plot of land I'll make a more permanent setup.

I thought about adding some weight or carrying sand bags, but thats just not practicle sometimes and doesn't make it very convenient so I plan on drilling some holes in the base and using tent stakes to keep it secure.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down