Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi Y'all

+5
RichBirdHunter
Reload3006
hawcer
eagle60
dglockster
9 posters

Go down

Hi Y'all Empty Hi Y'all

Post by dglockster Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:20 pm

I want to learn how to reload but as of yet have no experience and no equipment except for a bullet puller and a 6" caliper. From reading, I am leaning toward a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit. However, I don't know whether to begin with .308 or .38 special dies and I will eventually include 9mm and possibly 7.62X39. I also shoot SIG357 and .357 but until I gain a great deal of experience I may want to put those two further down on the to-do list.

Online sources about powder and bullets have been helpful as has some of the videos on UTube.

I plan to do a lot of searching on the site and but no doubt will be asking some really noob questions such as "Should the brass on .38 special and 9mm be crimped?" so I hope this is a user friendly site.

dglockster
dglockster

Back to top Go down

Hi Y'all Empty Re: Hi Y'all

Post by eagle60 Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Welcome. We all had to start from scratch so don't mind asking questions. There are some great folks here that don't mind helping. I normally put a light crimp on 38's and 9's
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Welcome to ATG! Smile

The Lee breechlock challenger is a good press to learn on. It's exactly what I started with.

Get dies for whatever you shoot the most first...308 and 38sp are both excellent rounds to learn to reload on. Both fairly easy and you will cover all the steps needed to learn both pistol and rifle reloading.
Whatever you do, be sure to get some sort of trimmer(s) for the brass. I really feel a little extra attention in getting the cases all trimmed to the same length goes a long way in getting optimum results with minimal or zero problems later in the process...especially the crimping stage for most rifles and revolvers and headspacing in auto pistols. Inconsistent case lengths will always return extremely inconsistent crimps or headspace issues....which = unnecessary head aches.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 pm

welcome great site here. I see you already have some good advise
Very Happy
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:13 am

Howdy & welcome
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:40 am

Hello from West By God. I started with a RCBS Jr press setup. Now you would probably have to get the Reloader Special. I started loading .38 special using what is now Alient 2400 powder. I found that it was impossible to throw a double charge while using such a powder. Look at a couple of the package deals for getrting started. I would start with the .38 spl since 9MM is so plentiful right now.

And don't be afraid to ask questions. There is a lot of knowlege here.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 am

Welcome
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 am

Howdy dglockster , and welcome to ATG ...
As far as the question of crimping learn the feel of lite-crimp and heavy-crimp , and read your reloading manual for the 9mm ...
Also one phrase ya gonna find here that your not gonna find in most reloading books "the most important 'Headspace' is between your ears"
Redneck
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

welcome
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down