Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheddite hull buckshot reloading

3 posters

Go down

Cheddite hull buckshot reloading Empty Cheddite hull buckshot reloading

Post by Draven 1474 Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Recently i have obtained a couple thousand 12 gauge 2 3/4 cheddite hulls that i wish to reload using #00 buck shot, i would much rather use a standard fold crimp but can roll crimp with overshot card in necessary. does any one have a recipe that they would be willing to share, I’m really at a dead end here due to the popularity of this hull and the little recipes for them, any info would be very much appreciated.

Draven 1474

Back to top Go down

Cheddite hull buckshot reloading Empty Re: Cheddite hull buckshot reloading

Post by Reload3006 Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:31 am

I am not anywhere I can look for data but I can give your 40+ years of shotgun shell reloading experience. Weigh your Buck shot and see how much 9 pellets weigh 9 being the standard 00 buckshot load in a 2 3/4 12ga shell.
use the same wad and the same powder charge and you are in business. If you want to use a buffer in your buckshot then make sure you weigh it too and take that into account.
So in other words if you find that your buckshot weighs 1 1/8 OZ then you would load it the same as you would a 1 1/8 OZ of #8s
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Draven 1474 Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:41 pm

So i loaded up some shells and the buckshot is slightly bulging out the shell, not enough to hurt any thing but how can i fix this, and my crimps are good just not very pretty a little uneven on one side, is it the shells? or should i get bpi solid brass pre crimp tool, and im using the mec 600Jr.

Draven 1474

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukreloader123 Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:38 am

I have had the same issue. I use cheddite hulls for 00 buckshot. If I'm being honest I just substituted a load that I got from alliant powder for Winchester hulls for blue dot (34 grains, waa12r wad, fed 209a primer, 12 pellets of 00). I get the same issue, slightly uneven finish on the crimp. I THINK I have worked out why this is.

If you are using 3 pellets to a layer then they are quite snug in their fit in the hull especially if you are using a plastic was with petals. This means that one pellet in each later has a tendency to rise up ever so slightly meaning not all 3 of your top pellets are even in height. Also, pressing hard on your press can push the pellets outward causing bumps in the hull. To eliminate this, I now make sure all pellets are firmly flat in each layer and I don't push excessively on my press.

Strictly speaking, the best thing to do would be to have 2 pellets to each layer with a shorter wad and roll crimp the end with an over shot card.

Ps: to make your crimp flatter, try putting an over shot card over the buckshot before star crimping.

Ukreloader123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down