Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS's

3 posters

Go down

GPS's Empty GPS's

Post by Nicnac Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:56 pm

Ok, Handheld GPS's what is everyone using? and why do you like the one you have? What don't you like about the one you have? and if you had an extra few bucks lying around which one would you up grade to? Do you use it in your auto travels(on the dash)?

Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

GPS's Empty Re: GPS's

Post by XbonesX Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:20 pm

I have a 10 year old GPS that I quit using while I hunted as I never seemed to need it, or when I did it lost satellite signal, even in my bird vest. I felt cheated having spent hundreds of dollars on it for it to work like crap. I had some faith restored using a newer version this weekend. My Grandpa just got the Garmin eTrex 20 which is on sale for $180 at Cabela's. We used it this weekend while out Chukar hunting, so I could teach him how to use it for his Elk hunt next week.

Pros were the battery life did seem very good, it starts up and connects to the satellites fast, it tracked well. Now the cons - the screen is small, the detail isn't that great, while viewing the map you can't set a wavepoint, it auto starts tracks, the zoom in and out buttons were backwards to me. If you moved the cursor and hit zoom in it centered on the cursor not where you were, which was fine if you wanted to see up ahead (because of the screen size and detail) but then you had to zoom out, center your cursor on your icon, and zoom in. This of course let to what bugged me the most - the tracking button seemed to only work in 4 directions (N, E, S, W) you couldn't go say lower right (SE). You would have to wait for the delay between directions. Garmin's "BaseMap" program left a lot to be desired too.

I've thought about getting one of the Garmin Rhino's with built in walkie talkie, as I generally always have one of those with me, so it would be 2 birds with 1 stone. My Uncle has the Oregon 450 which Cabela's regularly throws on sale for $100. His biggest complaint is battery life sucks, followed by the screen size & detail.

Check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for free maps.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Bones, Thanks for the reply and the Review. I'll keep it in mind.

Anyone else got anything??
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:00 am

I do not use a hand held GPS. But if you are going to buy one, make sure it has lifetime map upgrade in the purchase price.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum