Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tanning hides

+4
hawcer
Daywalker
Reload3006
RemMan700
8 posters

Go down

Tanning hides Empty Tanning hides

Post by RemMan700 Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 pm

If any members here on the forum tan their own hides. I would like to hear how you do it. Better yet if you get a wild hair and have some time to blow off it would be cool to see someone on here do a Youtube video on how to do it. I would mostly like to know how it is done on coyotes and deer.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Tanning hides Empty Re: Tanning hides

Post by Reload3006 Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:55 pm

send them off to a tannery lol! ok years ago when i was a teen we would stretch them out on a barn wall fur side to the wood and scrape all the meat and fat off the back side of the skin. then rub them down with salt and just kept putting the salt to them and scraping the meat off. they got hard as poster board. but they kept I Dont know how the tanneries keep the fur on them and make them soft and pliable. because when I tried wetting them and working the skin after they were "cured" and the fur fell out.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:59 pm

bushcraftonfire has done a vid on tanning hides. They used ash from a burn pit mixed with water which made lime and soaked the hides in it for a few days. They also used an egg and mayonaise mixture as well. I will have to look for those vids and share them with ya here..

Last edited by Daywalker on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Egg and mayonaise??... Coyote sandwich! LOL

I wonder how much a tannery would charge.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Tanning is something I always wanted to know too....just how do you get it from the "dried beef jerky" stage to soft and pliable?
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:37 pm

I saw a couple vids on YT but they werent that great and didnt give great start to finish info. I thik that once the hide is cured and all hard they soak it then let it semi dry and rub the skin side all over an object like a fence post or a pole to break the crispyness of the skin and make it soft. I would also like to know how people do just the tails and keep them soft and plyable.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:48 pm

my dad done one a couple years ago it turned out nice but now the hair is falling out if it! he nailed it down to a piece of plywood flesh side up! defleshed it then poured salt and something else (cant remember) then just keep repeating...im sorry i know this isnt much help lol but thats the best i can remember how he dont it...lol!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I re-edited my post. Was not sure if it show as a new post or not. I will find a couple more vids from these guys that used lime as well.... They do a great job
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by camerl2009 Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:16 pm

RemMan700 wrote:Egg and mayonaise??... Coyote sandwich! LOL

I wonder how much a tannery would charge.

not to much ive done my own buckskin using the brain tanning method(thats what in the vid's that tommy posted)
you can use the brains of the animal(only for hair off) hair on IDK have not done it yet
camerl2009
camerl2009

Back to top Go down

Post by camerl2009 Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:18 pm

camerl2009
camerl2009

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:32 pm

my grandfather used to brain tan buckskin..... he told me every creature has enough brains to tan their own hide..... He also used to tan hides with the fur on..... I do not know how to do this.....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Has anybody done any more into checking out this tanning process?
I want to tan my coyote hide that I killed with my recurve this year, but I have never done it myself either.
I know that if you scrape and flesh all the hide, meat, and fat off the hide you can rub it down with Borax and in about 2 weeks it will be completely dry. However there is a formula of ingredients that will set the hair so it doesn't fall out over time and I'm not sure what that is?

I'll have to ask around or do some checking into it before I ruin my coyote hide. If I come up with anything I'll maybe do a video on it while I'm processing my coyote hide and post my results here.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by camerl2009 Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Mohunter wrote:Has anybody done any more into checking out this tanning process?
I want to tan my coyote hide that I killed with my recurve this year, but I have never done it myself either.
I know that if you scrape and flesh all the hide, meat, and fat off the hide you can rub it down with Borax and in about 2 weeks it will be completely dry. However there is a formula of ingredients that will set the hair so it doesn't fall out over time and I'm not sure what that is?

I'll have to ask around or do some checking into it before I ruin my coyote hide. If I come up with anything I'll maybe do a video on it while I'm processing my coyote hide and post my results here.

ok i'll give you the website where i buy my tanning stuff http://www.fntpost.com/index.php
camerl2009
camerl2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:40 pm

That's a pretty good website, and I saved it to my favorites.
Thanks.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by camerl2009 Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Mohunter wrote:That's a pretty good website, and I saved it to my favorites.
Thanks.

all the kits on there have step by step instructions
camerl2009
camerl2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum