Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buckled case wall,happened while crimping.

+3
tcvpar
Daywalker
hawcer
7 posters

Go down

Solved Buckled case wall,happened while crimping.

Post by hawcer Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:09 pm

I was loading up some of DW's home swaged 44mag bullets for testing. All went well except for one case buckled while crimping the bullet. All the cases were resized and trimmed to the same length.

I guess the case had a weak wall on the side that buckled...strange things can happen. Here is a pic of the oddity. It didn't even begin to apply the crimp before it buckled.

Buckled case wall,happened while crimping. Dsc04543s

All the cases were either Federal or PPU...the one that bucked was an oddball stamped G.F.L.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Buckled case wall,happened while crimping.

Post by Daywalker Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Wow, that is an oddity. I have never seen anything like that before. Is the first one you have that has done this? Are you using a lee factory crimp die? Wonder if maybe the case mouth may have caught onto the enterance of the crimp die and buckled if it is the lee fcd??

Just trying to wrap my head around this....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:25 pm

No...I use the bullet seating die(Lyman)...I seat the bullets, then re-adjust the die and go back through and set the crimp. This is the first time I have ever seen this happen, so I posted it to share it. The case was up in the die when it happened. It felt different than the rest while crimping and when I backed out to take a look, that is what I found.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:28 pm

Ah interesting.... I am at a lost!! Thanks for showing. Hope an answer is found. This will haunt me for some time now....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Don't let it haunt you,lol. I'm just going to call it a rare oddity and a defective piece of brass.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:44 pm

One thing I have to say....the home swaged 44mag bullets of DW's using 40cal cases for jackets seat very easily. You don't even have to flare the case mouth to aid in seating....skipping that step saved a whole lot of time.

I guess I need to look a little harder at the CH4D swaging dies. Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:00 pm

I find that to be so when loading myself. I know the head does not swage out as much as the body portion. They do take the riflings very well...

One downside with ch right now, they are about 8 months behind on their dies. Seems that they had a huge rush and large qty orders that it just overwhelmed them. I know of one guy that bought up alot of just the empty bodies and turned down grade 8 bolts to use as a harder punch for them...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tcvpar Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:39 pm

several things could cause your problem#1have you checked all of ypur case lingth.#2some time the case can go in a little sideways #3THE BASEof the bullet could have a burr.$ there could be a little grit in the case mouth.
on straight wall cases i like the lee. it clamps as you know and even if the cases are to long it wont mash the case walls. qp

tcvpar

Back to top Go down

Post by tcvpar Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:44 pm

look at the left side of the case. the bell is off.my guess thats the prob. qp

tcvpar

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Occasionally I get one that does too. I usually mark it as an oddity and run it back through the sizer with a generous dab of lube and shoot it in one of the TC single shots.

Afterwards I look at the case and might discard the cartridge if it appears to be tweaked.

I'm loading some heavy 276 gr .444 Marlin over a stiff charge and 4895 right now, and every now & then I get one that buckles a tad.

I believe it is because some of these .444 Marlin cases I got abit to excited with the expander die and might have belled the mouth too much. This wide mouth might strike the edge of the die body and tweak the case.

Well now I know why my order of new dies and TiN work is taking so long for CH4D to complete. Glad to hear they are busy rather than laying folks off at the Holidays like some other places were (caugh caugh TC, S&W, etc.)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:40 pm

My first inital thought was maybe too much crimp. But that left realy quick as none of the others had done it making that the one and only...

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:59 pm

it happened to me couple times on factory stuff, when using thin brass, the things that will agitate the issue for me are brass trim length, canelure depth(if the cannelure isn't as deep as the other bullets you will have less room for roll crimp and it will act like you have too much crimp adjusted in your die), and bullet seating depth, if the brass wasn't situated in the right spot on the cannelure for me, it would be too much crimp and buckle cause there wasn't any room for the roll crimp to roll.

it looks like the neck isn't in the cannelure completely, looks like it's situated at the bottom edge of the cannelure but idunno, could just be a fluke brass case,
good luck let us know how it goes,
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:07 am

CMAsailer is the winner here.... I did it again last night. While adjusting for proper crimp, I went a little too far and and guess what...the case buckled Mad

Yes, DW...you where right on with your thoughts as well with this post Smile

My first inital thought was maybe too much crimp. But that left realy quick as none of the others had done it making that the one and only...

I guess that oddball case above and federal cases don't respond well to over crimping,lol.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 am

Glad to see mystery solved!! Thanks for the update...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 am

Yeah, mystery solved...I'm human afterall,LOL

You can go ahead and lock this thread...but if you would leave it on here for awhile, just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:52 am

I've had this happen before when I tried to seat and crimp all in the same step, that's when I made it a separate operation with the Lee FCD.......problem was solved. You should have seen the very first one I did........it looked like an accordion. Spew Coffee

Glad you figured it out.......Newbie! Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:58 pm

I will just mark them solved instead of locking. These threads will be left for a long time tho to help future members...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:03 pm

G.F.L is Fiocchi ammo. G.F.L = Guilio Fiocchi - Lecco
http://www.fiocchiusa.com
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum