Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

H&R Single Shot Rifle

+3
dartfreak75
Mohunter
tripples
7 posters

Go down

H&R Single Shot Rifle Empty H&R Single Shot Rifle

Post by tripples Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Any one have any feedback on the H&R single shot rifles? What is one worth? What do they sell for new? One of the guys at work has one for sale in .308 Its only has 24 rounds through it. He wants to buy a new cross bow and needs to sell it. Its a camo composit stock, with 4-12X40 scope (no name) and a sling.

Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

H&R Single Shot Rifle Empty Re: H&R Single Shot Rifle

Post by Mohunter Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:06 am

My brother bought an H&R handi rifle in .243 for my nephew that's a real shooter for less than $250 bucks new. It's got the walnut stock, and I don't think I've ever seen the camo synthetic version? So I don't know what that's worth? I wouldn't give any more than $250 for it, especially since you don't know the scope manufacturer, it could turn out to be a POS and you would have to get a new scope on it anyway?
Just remember that you could probably get a new one with wood stock for $250 at any Walmart.
Offer the guy $225 bucks for it and see if he takes it, if not then go see what you can get a new one for. If he brings up the scope just tell him that you would probably rip that off first thing anyway and put a good Nikon on it......that would let him know that the scope isn't going to sell the gun.
Just my opinion.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:27 am

i had one i paid 230 new but they have gone up there about 250-260 new i had a few problems out of mine i think i just got a bad one but the barrel keep opening when i shot the gun me and my dad fixed it the lever that you push to open the barrel was loose.. iv shot other ones and never had this problem accuracy was ok not great 2inch or so at 100 with a cheap simmons scope with a good bushnell or nikon i could have probly tightned it up i ended up trading it for a marlin 336 in 35 rem best trade i ever made! in my expreince the short actions rounds 308 243 etc are more accurate id say offer 225 like mo good luck
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 am

Yep, dont pay more then 250. I would really like to get one of these in .223 or .308.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.asp
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:30 am

The closest thing I have to an H&R is the NEF 20 gauge shotgun that I paid 50.00 for. I really like it alot... Not as much as my 870 LOL, but I do like that little shotgun....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:52 pm

yea i have one of those to i paid 30 lol but it shoots great best single shot shotgun iv ever shot!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by infantryjohn49 Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:06 pm

I have one of the New England s handi rifle in 30-06 , I really like mine
It came from wal mart. I cannot remember what I paid for it. It is easy to
carry in the woods.And though I cannot speak for others, mine is pretty accurate out to 100 yards.With my reloads of course.And I learned to be more particular with my shot as the realization Single Shot,means I need more practice reloading for a follow up shot .
infantryjohn49
infantryjohn49

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:28 am

If a guy wanted to try a different caliber and wasn't sure if he would like it or not, this would be a good way to do it without taking out a loan.
I always wanted a 25=06 so a single shot Handi Rifle would be an awesome way to see if I like it or not, besides not having a magazine to contend with and you could stretch that bullet out there as far as you want to. Wink
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:07 am

Well I ended up picking it up. I got to shoot it Sunday, not a bad rifle at all. The first 3 shots were under a quarter at 100yds with factory Remington 150gr ammo. I am not totaly sold on the scope that is on it but thats an easy fix in time.

I did do some measuring with the stony point OAL gauge and it looks like the chamber is away from the lands and groves quite a bit. A Hornady 168gr. A-Max is not in the case neck by a lot with the bullet touching the lands, I think by backing it off about .020 min. the bullet will be secure in the case enough. Some of the 150gr Boat tails I measured were not in the case as far as the boat tail. So it looks like I have a new toy to load for.
tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 am

good deal i hope it works out for you they are good guns i one bad experiance but that dont mean nothing it was an easy fix and it was accurate i really liked the one i hade
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:03 am

There are a lot folks that were heavily into the T/C Encore & Contenders that are finding they can purchase one of these H&R rifles for cheaper than a new barrel from T/C.

If it were me, I would send that H&R to David White:

http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/aboutus.html

Who does a lot of work on the H&R rifles making custom barrels & even does wood work for them.

Sounds like the chamber is a bit loose. I would have David cut it to .309 JDJ that would give you close to .30-06 performance & CH4D has the dies for ~$80.

There are other .30 cal wildcats that you could go to but the .309 JDJ is the most popular & fairly easy to get brass for. However, now you have to form .444 Marlin brass & you can not get ammo off the shelf at Walmart.

Another consideration would be .30-40 Ackley Improved, which might be the better bet as you could shoot commerical .30-40 Krag ammo, & fireform your brass in one step.

While I do not yet own one, I have talked to several people that David White has taken the H&R rifle that was so-so in accuracy & made it a real tack driver.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:21 pm

tripples wrote:Well I ended up picking it up. I got to shoot it Sunday, not a bad rifle at all. The first 3 shots were under a quarter at 100yds with factory Remington 150gr ammo. I am not totaly sold on the scope that is on it but thats an easy fix in time.

I did do some measuring with the stony point OAL gauge and it looks like the chamber is away from the lands and groves quite a bit. A Hornady 168gr. A-Max is not in the case neck by a lot with the bullet touching the lands, I think by backing it off about .020 min. the bullet will be secure in the case enough. Some of the 150gr Boat tails I measured were not in the case as far as the boat tail. So it looks like I have a new toy to load for.
tripples

Good for you Tripples. What did you end up giving for it, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd also like to mention that if you plan to hunt with it, those A-Max bullets weren't designed for taking game. Although they may be accurate, the construction was only intended for punching paper. For hunting, you would be better off with a bullet designed for it like a Sierra Game King, Speer Big Game, Hornady Interbond/Interlock/SST......or Nosler BT/Accubond/Partition all very good bullets for big game.
I know everybody is throwing advice at ya, but I didn't want you to set yourself up for disappointment by hunting with the wrong bullet choice.
I also like the V-Max for varmints......it's pretty accurate, as well as the Nosler BT.

Post up some pics of your targets when you get some good loads worked up for it.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Mohunter, I ended up giving him 200.00 for it with the sling, scope w/covers, one of those cartrige holders for the butstock and a partial box (16 rnds) of ammo.

I also agree with you on the A-max and hunting. I actualy have been growing to like the Barns TTSX bullets, But unfortunatly I am out of them unless I want to pull one. The accuracy of them is every bit as good as the A-max in my other .308 using the exact same load data, but they are pricy.

Here is some of the measurements I got, I will be double checking them when I plan on loading for it. Again this just a referance point, not that I am planning on loading them at the length listed. I always like a little bullet jump.

168gr. Hornady A-MAX 3.371
165gr. Hornady SST 3.374
165gr. Hornady Interlock 3.365
165gr. Nosler Balistic Tip 3.412
165gr. Speer BTSP unsupported
150gr. Speer BTSP unsupported

Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content