Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made?

+4
hawcer
DanRickard
Daywalker
EdgarEg
8 posters

Go down

Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made? Empty Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made?

Post by EdgarEg Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:54 am

Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made?
So there is this thing called k-spinner that is a round shank a few inches long about the diameter of a bullet. You put it in a drill and as it spins you put cases on and off of it and you can wipe the cases to clean or polish them or to wipe off lube. They used to be made by the Hanned Line but they are out of business. Is there any other place to get them?

So I am wanting to get a few of these k-spinners. Or something that will do the same thing. Anybody made any of them? I do not have a lathe but I am thinking I could make some out of wood, maybe out of a wooden dowel? Or maybe lead. Anybody tried that? Or maybe a drill bit the right size? Or a stepped drill bit? Anybody tried that?

EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made? Empty Re: Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made?

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:08 am

This is the first I ever have heard of K-Spinners. I am going to have to do some research on them...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made? Empty Dean Grennell raved about them

Post by EdgarEg Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:13 am

Dean Grennell raved about them . He writes about them in "The ABC's of Reloading".
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made? Empty Re: Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made?

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:15 am

Ok I get the picture. Would the Lee case length gauge stud that you chuck in a drill to hold the case not work? I just don't think Lee had that when the K-Spinner was around.

It does seem simple to make. I found an article where a gentalman made one in steps so that one could work for different rifles cartridges and so forth.

I may give this a try once I get my new belt in for the lathe. I am sure you could make one out of a dowl rod. You could also chuck up a bolt into your drill press, using different files, you could shape the end of the bolt to suit your needs as well...

I just think it would be interesting to see if I can make one and see it work...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:16 am

Do you know which book abc or reloading it is? I have a copy but I am not sure if it is the right edition.

http://forums.handloads.com/archive/forum_posts.asp?TID=1865
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made? Empty The 3rd edition of the ABC's of Reloading dated MCMLXXXV

Post by EdgarEg Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:25 am

The 3rd edition of the ABC's of Reloading dated MCMLXXXV mentions then. Chapters 4 (Homemade Reloading Equipment) and 5 (Care of Cases). Pictures of them on pages 46, 47, 48, 58. Grennell really liked them.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:34 am

Ok thanks. As soon as I can find where I placed mine, I will see if I have that issue.....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:44 am

Daywalker wrote:Would the Lee case length gauge stud that you chuck in a drill to hold the case not work?
There are two things about the K-Spinner that are better than the Lee case length gauge stud:
1. Since the K-Spinner holds the case from the inside all of the outside of the case is exposed and can be wiped or polished. The Lee case length gauge stud covers some of the base of the case so you could not wipe or polish that part.
2. Grennell says he does not stop the drill to change cases. He just keeps it spinning and pulls the cases off and pushes a new one on so it is pretty fast. You can polish or clean a lot in a hurry. With the Lee case length gauge stud changing cases would be very slow.
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:59 am

Yea that is very true.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:05 pm

trying to picture what they would look like.. if i could see a pic of one, i may be able to make one.. are they case specific? or universal?

i've made something simular for 40 brass to cut off the ejector ridge on the back with my band saw.. it was nothing more than a concreet lag bolt. you tighten it inside of the case, and wala, it held the case in place.
but i dont think a kspinner would be like that, or you wouldn't be able to remove the case while it was running.

i'll bet you could get away with doing the same thing with a case brush.
anyways.. if anyone could find a pic of one, i would really be interested in seeing it.

thanks,
dan
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:29 pm

Sounds like something that could be made with a steel rods and various diameter rubber hoses to match bullet diameter...like vacuum hose.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:40 pm

found a little info on them online.. here is a quote from the source

"Cleaning cases by tumbling them takes some hours. It’s possible, however, to put a mirror polish on a case in a matter of only a few seconds. Tumbling requires a drill press or an electric hand drill that you mount on a base or a vise. It also requires a small mandrel with a slight taper and a diameter that makes a friction fit inside the case mouth. Chuck the mandrel into the drill press or electric drill, which you then turn on. Press the case mouth over the end of the spinning mandrel, causing it to spin. Use scraps of paper towel or small tufts of0000-grade steel wool to take powder residue and other crud and corruption off the case surface.
At that point, you can put a small amount of metal polish such as Happich’s Simichrome, Flitz, Brass-O, or automotive chrome cleaner on a small swatch of paper towel and apply it to the spinning case. The polish will dissolve and loosen the corrosion. After a brief session of that, use a sheet of paper towel to wipe off the cleaner and achieve the final polish.
If the case has been deprimed, you can use a short section of wooden dowel with a small tuft of0000-grade steel wool to clean the residue out of the primer pocket at the same time.

Once you process the case, you can pluck it off the spinning mandrel
and replace it with another dirty one, with no need to turn off the
power. The mandrels are a simple project to make from steel bar
stock. It helps if you have access to a metal lathe, but you can produce
them on a drill press with a flat mill bastard file and some time and
patience. If you’re not inclined to make your own, Hanned Precision
can furnish them under the trade name of K-Spinners, contoured so
that one K-Spinner handles cases designed for several different bullet diameters
"

source ->
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3602335/Mod-5-Ammunition-Reloading-and-Ballistics

but no pic of them.. but from the sounds of it, its just a wood dowel or steel bar stock.
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:13 pm

You just need the diameter of the case mouth. Then you just make a mandral that is just a tad smaller, but not much to allow the case to slide onto it and then the friction takes over spinning the case while you polish it then you can slide it right off.. As far as the profile, it seems it can be whatever you want, a straight piece of drill rod or bolt, you can make a bullet of the caliber profile if you like. I don't think there is a set profile as long as you can slide the case onto it and off. Kinda thinkg of pilots that you use for trimming brass if you have case trimmer that takes pilots but longer in length of course.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:44 pm

Ive never seen one but from what Y'all are describing a taper would work pretty good. it would give ya a little more caliber use.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:28 am

I have never heard of them, I would like to see a pic of one. I can kinda get an idea of how it works and what it does. Is this just an alternative way of cleaning the cases or is there a benifet of doing it this way?
Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:48 am

From what I am reading and Edgar explaining it to me, it allows you the full length of the case to polish by hand without having the noise of the virbrator running. Should be quicker as well.. Plus some publications read, one thing some of us don't think about, tumbling can give you that hammer affect on brass slightly most of the time unviewable with the naked eye, denting the case mouth. Which gets straightened back out during sizing.....

I am still trying to see if I have that publication of ABC's to see how he made it...

From what I gather from Edgar, and please Egar correct me if I am wrong, you said it looked like a rod with the shape of the caliber bullet on the end to allow the case to slide onto it?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I finally found some. They were on GunBroker and called "Case Spinners". Here is the auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=264720871

They had just a very little bit of light rust on them when I got them and Scotch-Brite shined them right up.
Anybody make k-spinners? Home-made? Casesp10
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:54 am

I've been doing this for the past two weeks with a wooden dowel, a drill and some rags with some brass cleaner. I have been doing 44 mag cases. Just find a dowel that fits in your brass and fill the gap with rag and go for it. Cheap and easy. They look spectacular when done but it is very time consuming. Another advantage is the inside of the case is cleaned and polished.

PS make sure you use a rag on the outside because the case can get hot. affraid
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:18 am

Daywalker wrote:From what I am reading and Edgar explaining it to me, it allows you the full length of the case to polish by hand without having the noise of the virbrator running. Should be quicker as well.. Plus some publications read, one thing some of us don't think about, tumbling can give you that hammer affect on brass slightly most of the time unviewable with the naked eye, denting the case mouth. Which gets straightened back out during sizing.....

This IS very time consuming. As I said in the previous post I use a rag with a wooden dow. I place a small piece of rag on the dow (so it fits tight in the case, no rude remarks please) I put some of the case cleaner on that rag (You have to use something like Case Brite, which is similar to Brasso) and some on a second rag that I hold the case with and spin sliding the case on and off. You then either have to let them dry and repeat the procedure with dry cloths or through them in the tumbler. The case do come out gorgeous and shiny.

I think it is a lot easier just to put a couple of teaspoons of the case brite in the tumble and let it have at it. I do have a basement that I do this in so the noise is not a problem.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

To speed up the drying process you could use acetone. Thats what I do since I use an ultrasonic cleaner and liquid cleaning methods vs tumbling.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:04 pm

The polish doesn't take long to dry. It is just that you have that added stepafter they have dried.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down