Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy*

+2
Daywalker
Mohunter
6 posters

Go down

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* Empty Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy*

Post by Mohunter Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Today my spot was iced over, it got down to 10 deg. F last night and the spot I was going to fish was open yesterday, but not today! Neutral

My dad and I are going to a different spot tomorrow that is usually open water this time of year, but it all depends on how cold it gets tonight?
It sure didn't thaw any today though, overcast all day long with zero sunshine and wind blowing steady at around 10mph. The ice I broke up was actually re-freezing while I sat there and watched. pale

Just wait till the ice is gone and I'll put a whoopin on those bass, ask Daywalker he's seen some of my winter time bassin' pics. Wink

The river here sure is pretty though, just as mesmerizing in winter as it is any other time of year. All of this is basically right out my back door and I can be at any one of these spots in just a matter of minutes.
It reminds me of how great it is just to be alive! cheers

This is what it looked like yesterday.
Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* WintertimeonBigRiver014

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* WintertimeonBigRiver017

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* WintertimeonBigRiver018

This is what it looked like today! Suspect
Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* WintertimeonBigRiver001

So I busted up a patch of ice where I saw the bass yesterday, then found an old steel barrel that had washed up in a drift on the bank during one of the floods from this past spring and built a fire in it. Lots of drift wood around so I never have to worry about running out of wood to burn.
Then I went ahead and baited up with a minnow and flipped it out there hoping the bass would still be hanging around, but only had one bite and nothing caught. Maybe tomorrow?

So I just sat there for a few hours enjoying the peace and quiet. It's kinda neat actually to just sit near a frozen river and listen to the ice crack. It sounds like a .22 bullet ricocheting when the ice is flexing.
Maybe I'll have some pics of fish soon? I hope.
Hope you enjoyed my slide show! Cool

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* WintertimeonBigRiver009

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* WintertimeonBigRiver003

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* WintertimeonBigRiver006
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* Empty Re: Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy*

Post by Daywalker Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:13 pm

I admire you.... greenwithenvy sure does look like nice scenery...Good luck tomorrow....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy* Empty Re: Winter Time Bassin'...Ice Fishing on the River *Pic Heavy*

Post by Mohunter Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks!
You'll have to hop in the truck and come visit sometime, I'll show you all the hot spots! I know just about every stump, every root wad, and every riffle in....on.....or near the river. Wink
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm

One day........I can get to parts of MO with my eyes closed, mainly along I-70 as I have traveled through there crap loads on my way to UT
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:53 pm

Next time you go to Utah stop by and pick me up. We will track down Taylor and crash at his place! Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Woohoo party at Taylors house!!!!!!
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:08 am

ya'll are welcome anytime! I got 3 spare bedrooms and a living room. biggun2

I am going ice fishing on Wednesday night, my buddy has been having success for crappies. First time I'll have gone fishing since late September/early October. Give me a chance to try out my new gear I got for Xmas Razz
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:28 am

ok well as you are going by I am in Oklahoma, so I will head north and you guys just pick me up.....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 am

Sounds like a road trip to me?
I've never ice fished at night before and I can't remember the last time it stayed cold long enough here in Missouri to be able to get out on a lake and feel safe drilling holes in it? Probably 10 years or better.

I got dibs on the bedroom closest to the arsenal! Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 am

Our lakes don't freeze enough to even worry about ice fishing. We may get a skim of ice but if you were to spit on it, it would open right up...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 am

You should drag your lure across the top of the ice to tease the bass and make them hungry for next time you go out. Razz
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:58 am

Believe it or not RemMan, your not too far off base.
I have caught bass before by throwing my bait up on the ice and dragging it off the edge into open water and got a fish to hit as soon as it fell off the edge. The fish are still down there no matter how cold it gets, they are just quite a bit slower. Best method this time of year is live bait and we use minnows that we trap out of a creek in the next town over. If you put one in front of a bass' nose long enough they can't resist an easy meal.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:00 pm

well mo...

just goes to prove no man nor beast can resist an easy meal....

hehehe
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down