Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agen???

3 posters

Go down

Solved Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agen???

Post by Blade Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Hey guys!

I was wondering if anyone has use the frankford arsenal drop out bullet mold release agent before? I was looking around on midway and i saw this, because i'm thinking of getting a Lee 6 cavity mold and it's a real pain in the backside to smoke it. I have a lee 2 cavity mold that i use for my 38spl. but i have to smoke it regularly (about every 100 or 150 drops), otherwise my boolits keep on getting stuck in the mold and i don't like beating the crap out of it. I also use a damp sponge to cool it a bit every 5 drops or so. I've also polished my cavity's, but i'm still getting a lot of stuck boolits.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=763758

Also, i don't smoke my cavity's so that it's all black, i only give it a "light blackish coat", otherwise my boolits are just disformed.

Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agen???

Post by Reload3006 Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:21 pm

ive used a release agent back in the early 80s i suppose its the same. it worked pretty good. however bill arrington i think i have his name right did i video you should watch maybe you dont need to smoke or use a release agent
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Just a suggestion to try before smoking it or adding any type of drop out. Try polishing the cavities of the mould. I polished mine and now I never have to smoke it or anything. I open the handles up and the boolits falls right out no shaking no nothing.

Easy to do but be careful. Go ahead and cast a bullet in each cavitiy. Make a note of which bullet came out of which cavitiy. One the boolits have cooled, take bullet number 1 from number 1 cavity and place it back in. Take a screw, and chuck the head of it in a drill. Then screw the screw into the base of the boolit. Place toothpaste all over the bullet. Place that bullet back into the cavity it came out of. Slowly and I mean slowly turn your drill on rotating the lead bullet, make sure you are centerd on the bullet, while the bullet is slowly turning, gradually close both halves of the mould blocks till they are fully closed. Splin it a little more. Be careful as overdoing this will expand the diameter of the cavity. Do this for each cavity of the mould.

Clean the cavities of the mould really well. From this point on, that mould will be polished and and youll never have to smoke it or anything. You have just removed the burrs and stuff so there is nothing for the boolits to stick too...

I kinda over did it in the vid so really be careful. But it is worth it in the end...

Last edited by Daywalker on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Reload3006 wrote:ive used a release agent back in the early 80s i suppose its the same. it worked pretty good. however bill arrington i think i have his name right did i video you should watch maybe you dont need to smoke or use a release agent

Yea those moulds he and Mohunter has, those are great examples of top notch perfect moulds with no midifying needed unlike these lee moulds.

Lee Moulds are great and they allow us low budget casters a good product to get into casting, however, you still have to do some work to make them better than what the factory does..

I am saving money up right now for MP Moulds!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks for the quick replies guys !!

The reason why i've polished my mold in the first place, was after seeing your vid, MAYBE i didn't do it enough, because i was afraid that i would over do it and ruin my mold. I will definitely give it another go. Never knew that you don't have to smoke them again... but it would be GREAT not to.

After using my Lyman mold, i don't actually want to use my Lee mold... lol. When i bought my Lyman 9mm mold i couldn't get any Lee 9mm molds what so ever, so i got the Lyman instead. 2 times the price just for the blocks then a Lee mold+handles. If it wasn't for Lee, i would never have started casting in the first place, because of the costs. So thumbs up to Lee!
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down