Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scope question?

+9
dartfreak75
Mohunter
XbonesX
brow_tines
sdsviper
Daywalker
Reload3006
RichBirdHunter
Hughie
13 posters

Go down

scope question? Empty scope question?

Post by Hughie Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:40 pm

BARSKA scopes are they an ok scope ?? I know nothing about them never owned one not really heard anyone around here talk about them . need the ATG members schooling on this . Scopes kinda make me nervous buying one cause of the $$$ and quality of the scope . Found some Nikons but they have been refurbished not to sure about them. I am on a budget here so got to watch my $$ been out of work got layed off back in Dec so I am sure sum of you knows how that is to . Hugh
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

scope question? Empty Re: scope question?

Post by RichBirdHunter Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 pm

Does the Nikon come with a full warranty? If so I am very happy with mine, I generally use Leopold but this Nikon is a good scope.
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 pm

i really shouldnt comment on Barskas as I am sure i got what I paid for. I bought a Barska scope mound for my SKS the mount was great so for what I paid as far as I am concerned in that respect i got what I paid for. The scope however after two shots it fogged up something fierce i thought wow that's strange. then i wiped it off with a cotton cloth and the lens fell out in my hand. I am sure that they make a good scope just the one i got was a POS.

I have never heard anyone say anything bad ever about Nikons I own one and it is a great scope for the money around 100-130 for the 3 - 9 x 40mm prostaff It is a great scope always on and never ever been a problem with a stiff kicking 06
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I Have had no dealings with a Barska Scope either. Nor have I ever messed with a Nikon Scope.

Being on a budget myself, saving where I can, I can promise and gaurantee you this, the Center Point 4-16x40 Scope that I bought for 70.00 at Walmart for my Grendel and .270, it has served me very well with no problems at all!!! I was turned onto them from a guy I met at the range in Bland. He had one on his AR 10. It was very clear and where ever he put the crosshairs, the bullet went.

As with mine. If you have not bought a scope by the time we get the Grendel out to ya, you will be able to see the quality of the scope.

Just another brand for you to think about. I have a friend that purchased it for his savage .308. It i working great.....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:36 pm

+1 I have 2 Nikon scopes they work very well. Sorry know first hand info on the Barska.

RichBirdHunter wrote:Does the Nikon come with a full warranty? If so I am very happy with mine, I generally use Leopold but this Nikon is a good scope.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:01 pm

I have a friend that swears by Barska (and I value his opinion) and another guy I know bought a acog scope by barska and he was VERY impressed with it.
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:44 pm

+1 Nikon, scopes are one thing I will always spend more money on for better quality and warranty. However, what ever looks best to you because everyones eyes are different.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:21 am

The Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 is an excellent scope and now very affordable for a man on a budget. I absolutely love mine for clarity, light transmission, and durability..........I got to test that one out over the winter don't ask me how I know.
When I purchased mine the cheapest price I could find was $157 bucks, but I see them regularly now for slightly over the $100 dollar mark.
Bass pro shops did have them on sale for $99 about a month ago, but now in the clearance section and on the regular item page it's still a good deal at $119 bucks.
I'd say put another $50 with whatever you planned on spending on an economy scope and get a good quality optic. For me it's Nikon Prostaff for all my rifles as I get the extra $$$ to eventually change them all out.

I understand completely where your coming from Hughie so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Things are always tight around here it seems like.

Here's a Link---> http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_49654_425001001_425000000_425001000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:01 am

i personal like bushnell there affordable and clear and bring in light just as good as any of them out there i have heard good things about the centerpoint as well but them refurbished nikons are a great deal for a nikon they are haveing a nikon sale at cabelas i think they had a 3x9x40 for like 129 bucks around the same price as my 4x12x40 bushnell!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am

Those in the link aren't refurbished Nikons in the Bass Pro link. I didn't see anywhere in the ad that said they were refurbished.
If your going to spend that kind of money on a Bushnell, I would highly recommend you get the Nikon instead.
I'm not brand bashing, but I've had 2 Bushnells already shoot craps on me and they never suffered any abuse what so ever. My last one a Bushnell Sportview lost zero just sitting in my gun cabinet and I never could get it to hold zero again. Wasted 2 full boxes of my Nosler handloads on it with no luck. Swapped out with the Nikon, bore sighted and dead on zero in 4 shots.
Just my experience with each brand. I'll never waste money on another scope even if I have to save up an entire year. I've had my days with cheaper scopes and if I had all the money that I've wasted on the cheaper ones that got thrown away I could have a Nikon on every rifle that I own.

I have thought about the center point or clear point, whichever the one was that Tommy was talking about and thought about checking one of those out? Depends on how much they are around here and what kind of reviews they get.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:41 am

They are 69 bucks at walmart. Online, I have seen them listed for a bit over 100.00. Center Points is what they are. First one I bought, I bought for the .270 and then I put it on the Grendel. Bought another for the .270 and getting ready to get the smaller one, 3-9x (can't remember) for 59 bucks to go on my Stag AR and the Eotech will go on the Beowulf as soon as I get it ordered.

I know there are nice expensive scopes out there. I am being honest for me, these center points have proven themselves. I can not fit my Grendel in my Gun Cabinet, so it stays in a hard shell case in my bedroom. My wife has dropped the rifle in the case off the bed onto the floor. My kids have went into the bedroom not watching what they are doing and end up kicking the case while it is under the bed. I moved it downstairs into my reload room thinking that it is safe down there. Well, the darn cat got into the reload room and stupid me had the case leaning standing up and the cat knocked it over onto the cement floor. Yes still in the hard shell case. Shot it at the range and it only took 2 shots, one to see where it was hitting and the second shot to get it back on zero and it stayed on zero after that. It was only off by about, and I am going by memory the last time I shot it, 1/2 maybe a full inch to the right.... Up and down was good....

That has been my expierence. No I do not recommend testing out any scope by doing any of that of course LOL... Just glad to see that it stood up to all that.

I think they have a lifetime warranty too... I will have to double check that, not 100% positive on that....

Maybe I do a review on it??
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:55 pm

I’m not sure of the model but I have a Barska compact 3-9x40. I think it was meant to be used with an AR. I had it on my SKS and was getting about a 12” group at 100 yards. I thought it was the gun but as it turns out it was the scope. The cross hairs were moving slightly inside the tube. I contacted the company to see what they would do. Which was nothing – they said I had to have the original receipt. The scope came with a used gun I got so I was out of luck. According to the reviews on Midway, Optics-planet, and Amazon Barska seems to have hit and miss products. I’ve had similar problems with BSA and other budget scopes.
badjeep02
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:18 pm

sub-$200 scopes can be iffy....

I've had good ones and junk ones. Can't say anything about Barska....never owned one. I have a Leapers Accushot that I dropped hard enough to smash the illuminated reticle knob...but the scope still works good and holds zero. I also have a BSA Platinum target scope that is supposed to be junk....it doesn't have a very crystal clear view, but it holds zero on my 223 AR15. The Simmons that came on my Savage 243 actually worked great and had a really clear picture...and they are supposed to be junk too.

DW raves about his Center-points....one of these days I might get up the nerve to try one.

But you can't go wrong with a Nikon or Bushnell Elite series...I've also heard really good things about The Nitrex/weaver scopes and also the Muellers are supposed to be good for the money.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:30 pm

iv shot the smaller centerpoint on a 22 lr and it grouped great iv looked through but never shot the 4x12 centerpoint that was on a h@r 280 it was clear and focused well but i didnt shoot it
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:07 am

Still cant make my mind up Neutral I miss the days of the old weavers fine cross hair and very tuff . I have had sum good tascos some years back dont trust them now. Same goes for simmons. I have a simmons now on a .308 dart dont like it .Dont bring in much light got one of the old tascos on my 8mm ,but its just about had it coating on the lens starting to peel best scope i ever had is a redfield . Anyway its looking more like a Nikon .I have looked thru a prostaff BDC ,but thats all they are very clear . A local dealer sells SIGHTTRON i was told they are a pretty good scope. Checking into to Nitrex scopes to .
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 am

yea i hate simmons that one on the 308 you cant even see out of unless your pointing it in the sun lol i took it hunting last year and i couldnt even see through it untill 830 9 oclock after the sun was completly out even then anything past 100 yards was blurry the simmons 3x9x50 i had didnt bring in as much light as the 40mm bushnell thats on my 35rem!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:45 am

I have a Nikon Prostaff and it seems like a really nice scope for the money. I would say the new Redfields are probably on the same level as the Nikon Prostaff but the click adjustments are not as positive.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:34 pm

hawcer wrote:

But you can't go wrong with a Nikon or Bushnell Elite series...I've also heard really good things about The Nitrex/weaver scopes and also the Muellers are supposed to be good for the money.

I bought Mat a Bushnell 4200 Elite and i swear by it.....I bought it in the USA when I was over there and i thought it was not badly priced either....(IMO)
Aussie
Aussie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down