Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is there a temp. fix ?

+8
Mohunter
Hughie
dartfreak75
Reload3006
eagle60
fletch_medic
RichBirdHunter
brow_tines
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Solved Is there a temp. fix ?

Post by brow_tines Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:26 pm

I broke the decapping pin in a RCBS die, they have a 5 pack in the mail. Is there something I can use temporarily until the snail mail comes ?
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Solved Re: Is there a temp. fix ?

Post by RichBirdHunter Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:03 pm

milsurpguy wrote:Do you have another RCBS die of the same diameter pin for a different caliber that you might be able to borrow the pin from?

+1
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:35 pm

no the other dies I have are Lee
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:44 pm

JB Weld the old one together.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Not sure what cal you're working with, but could you take one of your lee dies that was smaller and use it just to decap with? For instance if you're working with 30-06 cases and have a 270 resizing die, set the decapping pin as low as possible so you won't get into the resizing part of the die but will be enough to punch out the primer.
All depends on how bad you want to get them puppies deprimed - I have set them in a shell holder on top of the table saw and took a blunted off ice pick with a small hammer and punched them out that way. It's bad slow but is functional Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:55 am

you can hydraulic the primers out too. get a punch that fits the case mouth fairly tight an old drill bit would work too just make sure to whack the part you chuck up on as it is not hard and will not shatter. fill the cases up with water and stick the punch in the case mouth and give the punch a whack with a hammer and the primer will come flying out. dry your cases in your oven for an hour or so on warm and you will be good to go.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 am

i would go to wal mart they sell rcbs replacement pins in the sporting goods!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks for the help guys, my nephew is spending the weekend with us and he was wanting to help me through the whole reloading process. But there is always next time Smile
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Murphey's law strikes again :::
Thanks brow.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I had the same problem one time reloading .44 mag i had old set of 3006 got by for a little while but it didnt last to long . So i went to wally world Smile
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 pm

Not my Walmart, they are evidently a bunch of anti reloading pickle smokers. I have not found one single ounce of reloading supplies at any Walmart I have ever been to in the entire state of Missouri, unless you count black powder crap......they always got a ton of that over priced nonsense sitting on the shelves during the season. After the season is over it all gets put away and the next season's worth of junk comes out.

Browtine- You can use any like sized or smaller caliber to deprime with, just do like the others have suggested and run your decapping pin down far enough to knock the primer out without getting into the neck area.

I have deprimed 3006 cases by sanding down the point of a nail so it would fit through a flashole and then put the head end in a vise. Turn your case upside down on the nail point, center it inside the flashole in the case and tap the rim of the case lightly with a wooden block. The primer comes right out easily.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:01 pm

You need to ask yourself WWMD?(What Would MacGyver Do?) It's really simple, you just need a washing machine motor, a pocket knife, one half of a white tail buck antler shed, and some urine. See where I'm going with this?
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:58 pm

fletch_medic wrote:You need to ask yourself WWMD?(What Would MacGyver Do?) It's really simple, you just need a washing machine motor, a pocket knife, one half of a white tail buck antler shed, and some urine. See where I'm going with this?
You forgot 2 very simple, basic, but oh so vital items.......a pair of Vice Grips and a roll of duck tape. I can repair just about anything with those 2 items alone.
Redneck
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Ah yes, the ever so important duck tape. I can't believe I forgot it. I guess I am just a Padawan in need of more Jedi training.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:25 pm

I had a similar problem so I now keep a couple of packages of replacements JIC. I snap a pin every now & then trying to reload the odd non-boxer primed case. I always scrounge the local range for brass & am not above dumpster diving for good brass.

However, one of those damn Berdan-primed cases occasionally slips through and I shatter a pin when I try to pop the primer out. I found a whole bunch of .30-06 yellow brass Berdan-primed rounds that someone left at the range that I am planning on cutting & making into heavy .444 bullets.

I've done the J&B Weld trick, using an old worn out small drill bit as a replacement pin. I snapped the drill bit off and put it in backwards so that the smooth flat point of the shank was sticking out while what little of the drill part was inside the die.

J&B will hold it for a while. Around here my Walmart is one of the new "family friendly" ones that does not sell guns, and barely sells any hunting gear at all.

The other Walmart (which does sell guns) I will not ever deal with again because they decided that since I was military, they needed a copy of my orders (I am a resident of the state 12+ years with a driver's liscense) before they would sell me a gun.

I respectfully declined to let them invade my privacy & went home and printed the regs & highlighted the part that specifies they did not orders from military residents of the state purchasing firearms. The manager says, nope you are military so therefore I need a copy of your orders. I might have lost my cool & suggested that the Manager might be less than intelligent & suggested some improbable ways that he was conceived.

I have to drive about 45 mins to get to a store that might have RCBS pins in stock, but calling them is a waste of time as I always get the retarded booger-eating moron on the phone who asks "What's an RCBS?"

When you get that pack of pins order about three more, to keep for spares.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:28 pm

This is why I keep the Lee decapper die on hand....works on about everything.

Do your pins have the cup on the end or are they straight? The staright pins can sometimes be reused if they are still long enough....or a shaft from a small drill bit will work in a pinch....

I've even resorted to punching out the primeres with a small diameter punch and hammer...that is until I picked up the Lee decapper and a bag of rcbs pins.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:59 pm

I do not have a Lee decapper die on hand - but suppose I should grab one sometime.

I have dies that have either the cupped end and the straight ones. Usually mine snap about in half and are good for nothing else than tossing in the recycling bin and a sound cussing.

I tried decapping some Berdan cases with the hydro method and just made a huge mess but it did get the primers out a little better than prying them out with various sharp tools.

I have a tool I got from Ballistic Products that is a narrow long punch made for reshaping (swaging) 209 primer pockets that get loose. The tool (without the swaging bottom) works well in a pinch to push a primer from a case especially if I have a bone-headed moment and seat a primer backwards again.

Last edited by scorge30 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Doh! - spell check!!)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:45 am

I think about everyone has had a bone-headed backwards primer moment. By show of hand.... cheers
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:48 am

cheers
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:14 am

iv never broke a pin up untill recently iv only used lee dies but i have had a few stuck cases not any real severe stuck cases but i had one that pulled out of the shell holder had to take a screwdrver and a hammer to pry it out!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:18 am

I've never broke a primer pin, but I bent the sh*t out of a couple that just as well been broke. Since I started using Lee dies I haven't bent or broke one since.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:30 am

yea i think lee dies are impossible to break they claim they are anyway due to the one piece design which i like!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:47 am

dartfreak75 wrote:yea i think lee dies are impossible to break they claim they are anyway due to the one piece design which i like!
I honestly have never cared for the RCBS design anyway, while it is a niftly idea to be able to just replace the pin section and not the entire decapping/resizing shaft itself. I think the threaded section takes away some of the strength and I have had trouble getting the entire assembly to line up straight. I was constantly having to unscrew the locking nut on top of the die, lower the decapping pin down into the case and flashole to line it up, then retighten the locking nut. I believe this is how I screwed up the one pin that I did on my RCBS die and I never replaced it. I got pissed, put it back in the die box and chucked it into the bottom of my box of junk and ordered a Lee set. Haven't had this problem since because the Lee decapping/resizing pin assembly never gets off center. As long as you have your dies adjusted correctly and don't run the die down too far and crunch it into the bottom of the case and shell holder there's no reason for it to break. I also like the fail safe feature on Lee's dies that allow the pin to "Pop up" without breaking anything if this should ever happen.

Knock Lee dies if you want to, but I get along with them a whole lot better than other dies I've tried. Bottom line is, if you have to put that much pressure on your dies to knock out a spent primer.........something else is severely out of wack. Better check your set up or your casings to see what's wrong.
Just my honest opinion........I know everybody has one. Rolling Eyes
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:06 am

yea i agree i love lees dies design another plus is if you get a stuck case you can losing the lock and knock it out from the top!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 pm

I have several of the Lee dies and I agree that although many people dog them, they have served me quite well.

I have mixed feelings about the collet system on the Lee dies. While this has saved me countless times from breaking pins when I miss a Berdan-primed case, it is irritating when trying to reform wildcat brass.

I ended up getting two sets of the Lee dies for calibers that I swage into wildcat calibers. I had Mike Bellm in Grants Pass, OR drill and insert a 3/32 roll pin into the collet to hold the decapping pin from lifting.

You could do it yourself with a drill press, but the nerve damage from my injuries make me shake too much for such accurate work these days. That is why I spend so much time at my bench, hopefully with time and retraining my body shaking will ease as my body "rewires" itself.

I could tap out the 3/32 roll pin and use the dies as they were originally made, but this little nifty fix, makes it possible to use inexpensive dies for wildcat reforming, and saves me from having to do depriming and reforming in seperate steps with different dies.

I have not broke a Lee decapping pin yet although I have bent a few 3/32 roll pins. I try to keep an eye on the roll pin and watch for the collet to start to slip before hitting the 3/32 roll pin but sometimes I do not catch it until the roll pin bends. A package of 3/32 roll pins from Ace Hardware is cheaper and easier to get than RCBS pins or a new Lee stem.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum