Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To be or not to be...

4 posters

Go down

To be or not to be... Empty To be or not to be...

Post by hawcer Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Regarding my Savage 12fv...

Since I am using a modified ABT stock that was designed for an earlier type savage short action...I had to make shift the mag box in the stock so I could try it out at the range. I can't leave it that way...it's just too getto for my liking. I was planning on making it a single feed by filling the mag box cavity and adding a single shot follower under the action and bedding the whole thing for a nice comfy fit.This would be great for bench shooting at paper...but if I decide to try for some yotes with it some day...I might need the extra 1 or 2 rounds.

I saw that the Accuracy International makes 223 mags that will work with my savage action and normally require a custom base plate for removable mags....problem is my stock doesn't have a base plate. So I am thinking of making a hidden mag well for the AICS mags....and just have a cutout in the bottom of the stock just big enough for the magazine to fit through.

The plus with the AICS mags....The 308 mags will interchange with the 223 mags....so If I ever change barrels to a larger caliber, all I'll have to do is use a the different magazines....but then again, I won't have to do anything if it is a single feed.

Opinions?...should I go single feed as originally planned or go for the removable mag option?

Worse case scenario is....I mess up my stock.

I guess the first thing I need to do is locate a AICS 223 mag or at least get some measurements, so I can see if I can fit a magwell in the stock without too much trouble.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

To be or not to be... Empty Re: To be or not to be...

Post by Daywalker Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Man, you are way over my head here.....Can you keep the removable mag and just put a single shot follower in it and then you have the best of both world?

I am probably missing something here as I know nothing about rifle building hahahahaha....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:17 pm

The single shot ramp I would use is made by Sharp shooters supply and sits directly against the receiver. It essentially will almost become part of the action once I bed the stock to the action with the follower installed. This is what it looks like.

To be or not to be... CF_Follower3

This is what the CDI DBM(detachable bottom mag) looks like.

To be or not to be... Cdi1

I will have to make something that installs from the top instead of the bottom of the stock if I want a detachable magazine. I won't need a trigger guard either, since it is part of the stock.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluehawk Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Hawcer,
Did you ever decide what route to go?
If it were my rifle, I would go with single shot. It requires you to be more precise when hunting and when you do hit a coyote and need a followup shot it doesn't take than a second or so more to throw another cartridge onto the follower. If your first shot was halfway decent, the coyote isn't going anywhere, so followup won't need to be lightning fast anyway!
Bluehawk
Bluehawk

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:20 am

As of now, I am still using the factory mag box....but single feed loading most of the time. I tried to contact Sharp Shooters Supply a few times with no luck, I'm not sure if they are still in business...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluehawk Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 am

Brownells or MidwayUSA carries single shot followers. I seem to remember one of them does because I have purchased several in the past for Mausers...just can't remember which one I bought them from.
Bluehawk
Bluehawk

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 am

yeah, I have seen those. I'd prefer to do away with the mag box all together if I go to single feed. Those type mount on top of the follower in the mag box.

If anyone lives in the area of Dephos Ohio that can walk in the door and pick up a single shot ramp...I think I could get it much faster,LOL. I guess they are so busy that it takes an act of God to get through to them on the phone.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluehawk Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 am

AccraGlass it to the bottom of the rails and it would be a permanent install!
Bluehawk
Bluehawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chranie Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:34 am

But what abut the route???

Chranie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum