Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring Predator Control

+12
scorge30
Nicnac
sdsviper
dartfreak75
XbonesX
eagle60
RemMan700
fletch_medic
Friedline
hawcer
RichBirdHunter
Mohunter
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spring Predator Control Empty Spring Predator Control

Post by Mohunter Thu May 05, 2011 9:45 pm

The "Lack Of" turkey sightings and not hearing a single gobble this season, then spotting a pair of coyotes yesterday morning and one yesterday evening only means one thing..............Time for some spring Predator control.

I took a shot at the coyote yesterday evening at about 400 yards and I think I held over too much? I should have gave the 22-250 a little more respect as a flat shooter than that and only held at the top of it's back rather than a foot over it.

I went out this morning and put my blind out about 100 yards closer to where they were crossing. After just getting everything set up, brushed in, and getting everything comfy inside the blind it hadn't been 5 minutes later and this male coyote came out at about 125-150 yards in the open pasture. I just settled the cross hairs on his shoulder when he stopped almost right on que. The 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip back flipped him in quick fashion and at that range no hold over was necessary.
One fawn killing, turkey egg destroying, quail munching vermin down and plenty more to go, I only wish it had been a female but I will take this male as a good start.
I'll be back out there this evening to hopefully get the female I saw with this one yesterday morning.

Spring Predator Control MaleCoyote5-5-11002
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Spring Predator Control Empty Re: Spring Predator Control

Post by RichBirdHunter Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 pm

I can't wait to see what you make outta him, nice kill Mo
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu May 05, 2011 10:18 pm

he looks mighty nice on the back of that there four wheeler Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Friedline Thu May 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Nice yote!!! Mo good luck getting the fem.

Friedline

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Thu May 05, 2011 10:30 pm

Nice one Mo. Oh, by the way..... do you mow in circles??
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Thu May 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Nice kill! Looks like a decent sized yote. They say only 25% of fawns survive, and coyotes are like 95% responsible for all fawn deaths.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu May 05, 2011 10:47 pm

Glad you got a chance to thin out some of the varments! The only good coyote is a ........
Come on ya'll pitch in now>>>

Dead Coyote !!!

It applies to rattle moccasins too Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu May 05, 2011 11:31 pm

fletch_medic wrote:Nice one Mo. Oh, by the way..... do you mow in circles??

only you would notice something like that. at least he mows his lawn unlike me.

congrats Mo, next time just take a picture of the dead yote, its more appealing than your ugly mug. Troll
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Thu May 05, 2011 11:48 pm

RichBirdHunter wrote:I can't wait to see what you make outta him, nice kill Mo
He's fertilizer now. Cool

I like to mow in crop circles, it helps the aliens to find a nice place to land. Wink

Coyotes are thick around here and the few I nail every year doesn't even put a dent in the population, but I pick off as many as I can here and there.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri May 06, 2011 8:07 am

nice job mo one more down!!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Fri May 06, 2011 10:32 am

Nice job I need to get ot work here on the Yotes and bob cats. We have been seeing way to many. I think a fur Quiver would make a good match with that road kill bow. Maybe a fur possibles bag.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Fri May 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Nice Job Mo, now get out there and get that Biatch. 50 cal

Hope to see pics of her soon.
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 am

Shame prices are so low for 'yote pelts. My father's older brothers put themselves through college in the early 60s by running a trap line during the winter.

Prime winter 'yote pelt was a real seller. I like to keep the skulls but the old lady raises hell with me cause of the smell and the mess when I am cleaning a skull out. I still have a nice opossum skull from when we lived in Mississippi.

We need to encourage more people to shoot 'yotes - or like around here wait until the wolves move in and then you can kiss the coyotes good bye, and you will still lose as many fawns if not more.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 am

This time of year the skins are ugly. They are shedding winter coats for summer coats and they are patchy with bald spots, hair falling out, and he had ticks stuck all over him. I just kept him long enough to take hero shots and then dumped him across the road. Even when pelts are prime in the winter they aren't worth skinning, but they still need to be controlled. I rather enjoy seeing rabbits, turkey, and deer so you have to take out some predators if you want any critters around.
It's just a necessary part of managing your wildlife numbers.

I wish I could thin down the "Other" predators and by that I mean poachers, but that's illegal so I'll just have to wait for the dead beat game warden to get off his chunky arse and do it for me. About all he does is show up at the local fishin hole and check permits on occasion. Too bad these college grad idiots don't know how to patrol the woods and waters like the old timers did. Nowadays, if they can't get there by truck then it's like out of sight, out of mind until somebody calls it in. Even then it takes days for them to follow up on a reported violation and by then the perps are long gone. It's sad to see what our conservation department has wasted away to, we used to have the best thing going, now it's all college grads who don't know squat about hunting or fishing.

I educated our local agent on a few things about fish and wildlife during a conversation one time, and he was stunned at how much I knew that he didn't. I plainly told him there are certain things you just can't get in books..........like real world experience by just being out there and not behind a desk or a steering wheel. He did't like that part, but didn't try to argue the point..........afterall how could he argue with the truth.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun May 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I think the demise of the fish & game wardens is a country-wide problem. Our county use to have 12 wardens now we have 2 due to budget cuts. They rarely come to the back woods and spend all their time on the rivers and bay watching for salmon and crab poachers.

I have begged the wardens to come and sit in the duck & goose blind with me, even tried to bribe them with all the coffee and donuts they could want, but they will not get out of their truck either.

I am excited around here as we finally got our suppressor issue solved (before it was legal to own a suppressor but you could not use it) so now we can shoot 'yotes around here without pissing off the nosey bitty off next door.

Most of the oppossum and coon we shoot become fertilizer, hides are not worth anything. We do not get the georgeous winter fur like on the eastern side of the state so 'yote hides here are worthless.

We do not have the ticks and fleas on this side but the eastern side of the state is lousy with fleas. One thing I do not miss about the south is the ticks & chiggers. Made every field exercise miserable in the summer.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed May 11, 2011 12:01 am

If there is ever a holocaust........coyotes and cock roaches will be among those at the top of the food chain.

Don't get me wrong about coyotes, I don't hate them at all. I do however hate what their numbers can do to my local critter population, so they need to be controlled.
Coyotes are the picture of instinct and survival in it's purest form. They say that there isn't a single state that doesn't have a coyote population. They can survive in the harshest of environments from the intense heat of the deserts in Arizona and Mexico.........all the way up to the Yukon in the bitter freezing coldest temps a mammal could endure.
Ya gotta admire an animal with those kinds of survival skills.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed May 11, 2011 12:48 am

something else you failed to mention about coyote is that the bitches will come in to heat right after giving birth, over and over until their numbers get back up to a sizable number.... meaning that one xxxxx might whelp three to five litters a year....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed May 11, 2011 9:15 am

I know the coyote pups will be leaving the dens this month where their mother will teach them to hunt and therefore they will be much more visible during daylight hours. More so than any other time of year, and will readily come into predator calls........Brass Squealer should work wonders.

Which also means that since deer are dropping fawns this month they are on the menu. Even though it's too warm to think about coyote hunting, right now is the time for Spring Predator Control.
The whitetail fawns will thank you and you will see more deer come this fall.
Get out and try a fawn bleat also, but keep an eye out for a pissed off doe cause they are highly protective of their fawns. There's a good chance you will call in some big does ready to give you a beat down. If that should happen, just sit still and stop calling. When she leaves, get up and move to a different area and try again.

By this fall, the young half grown coyotes are easy targets for broadheads. Cool Shocked
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 am

Speaking of predator control....I watched a show the other day about these guys catching non-indigenous reptiles in Florida. Mainly Berm Pythons and Nile lizards and Iguana's(large sob's too). They kept trying to grab them or net them....Should of just shot them or at least tranquilized them, it would have been alot easier.

Those would be a blast to hunt and I'm sure Mo could make plenty of bows with one python skin.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed May 11, 2011 9:51 am

Great minds must think alike. I saw the same show and thought the same exact thing. One 12ft. python would skin alot of bows! Cool

They should open season on them all year long, just like feral hogs and let guys kill them any way possible by any means possible.
I wonder if they taste like chicken? Rolling Eyes
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed May 11, 2011 9:54 am

LMAO If PETA saw this post they would be crapping down both legs lol Embarassed
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 am

Arggg, i just typed this in and i guess forgot to push send....

anyway i do not know about python but rattlesnake tastes allot like chicken.... I have eaten iguana in central america... it had a firmer texture like dried chicken white meat.... but then again maybe it was just dried iguana meat.....

PETA is funny, they are truly a worthless group.... serve no purpose.... it is sportsmen that have saved and protected every wild species in North America....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed May 11, 2011 10:49 am

kcatto wrote:

PETA is funny, they are truly a worthless group.... serve no purpose.... it is sportsmen that have saved and protected every wild species in North America....

Yep...so they have something to hunt during the next season.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed May 11, 2011 11:00 am

Just like them damn Snake headed fish that have appeared in our fresh waters....that some how got dropped here from a pond in Asia.

The law is....if you see one, KILL IT! Imo, same should go for any other species that don't belong.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed May 11, 2011 11:26 am

Those snake head fish are an Asian delicacy Mo - which is why someone dropped them in a lake, so they could harvest them and sell them.

We have a similar problem here with yellow perch - some a-hole drops them in our lakes and then they over populate and stunt all the fish.

Several of our lakes have been lowered and then poisoned to get rid of the carp and the yellow perch. Works for a bit, but has to be done every 5 years or so because the dam critters keep coming back.

Our lakes have gone to no min size and no limit on yellow perch attempting to control the population some.

On the Columbia pike minnow (AKA squaw fish) now have a bounty on them. The power company is paying a bounty on every one you catch. Some guys have made several thousand dollars fishing but have to fish 7 days a week for at least 12 hours a day.

So far we are ahead of our feral hog problem as we have a shoot on sight and kill by any method program. This side of the state is pig heaven with our mild winters and plenty to eat.

I shoot all the opossum, racoon and skunks I see. Damn skunks get into my bee hives and tear apart the brood almost as bad a bear.

Goes without saying that I shoot every coyote I can too. We now have gray wolf on the eastern side of the state and I am pretty sure it wont be long before we have them here too.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next