Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

+13
kcatto
dartfreak75
Blade
Daywalker
RemMan700
Nicnac
RichBirdHunter
Hughie
eagle60
hawcer
Reload3006
XbonesX
sdsviper
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. Empty Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

Post by sdsviper Thu May 12, 2011 11:48 am

Here's some pic's of my lake trip. The one on the table was 48 LB.
Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. Photo110
Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. Photo111
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. Empty Re: Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

Post by XbonesX Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Very nice! Unfortunatly they dont get that big here in Utah, but I love catching them. They are actually a transplanted species I was told, Channels and Bullheads.

Anything in the 10-20# range here is considered big. My biggest to date is 10#. Utah State record is 32lb 8oz.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. Empty Re: Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri.

Post by Reload3006 Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 pm

Beauts Sd. some mighty fine eating congrats Laughing
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu May 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Nice catch(s)
....good eat'n!
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu May 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Nice cats! Were you using a pole or just grabbling for them Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Thu May 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Trotline the big ones were 15--25 ft deep. Shad and perch is what they were hitting.

Yehaw
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 pm

I can smell them cooking Viper........ Very Happy Nice catch
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Thu May 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Mix up some hush puppies and it's a party
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Thu May 12, 2011 9:20 pm

We had fish fry before we came home. Cornbread,fried potatoes,and cherry cobbler. Very Happy
I ate so much it hurt.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm

sdsviper wrote:I ate so much it hurt.

Them is the best fishing trips.... haha
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Fri May 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Those are some nice blue's!
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri May 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I can't wait to get out to do some fishing...I have a secret spot that is great fishing for cats, small mouth and I've even caught a few good sized bowfin.

it's only a good spot after a flood season...like this year. it is a deep area in a small stream that isn't deep enough for most fish to swim in and out of on either end....so after some higher than normal waters go down, they get trapped in there.

I've drug out some respectable size cats...but nothing like sdsviper caught.

The best bait I have found to use is Helgramites.....nasty looking little ugly critters found in clear running shallow stream water, under rocks. They are as tough as leather, so they can be used over and over....and the fish love them. just stick them on a hook and toss it upstream and let the current carry it....they can be very large at 1-3" long, so you don't need any weights.

Catfish at lake of the Ozarks Missouri. 200px-Helgramite
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri May 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Since all the bean worm trees around has stopped producing bean worms, I am gonna have to resort back to the ole baitin area for when I go camping.

wearing gloves, grab up all the dead animals you can. Road kill whatever. Place them in a berlap sack and weigh it down. Boat on out to an area you know your gonna be fishing within a weeks time. Toss it over let it sink.

Catfish can not get to them but they can suck on berlap bag to get what they can. Then just go back and drop ya some stinky bait on a hook and they will hit it everytime.

I know that sounds nasty, but catfish are nasty creatures and the nastier the food the more they love it....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm

Nice catch viper!

"nasty creatures" may be a understatement. Anyone watch river monsters ???
Blade
Blade

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:25 pm

nice fish viper!! yea cats are nasty ( love river monsters blade) i always heard to use rotten canned dog food get a couple cans and set it in the hot summer sun for a couple days let it get good and nasty poke some holes in the cans throw them in the water and cast your stink bait or chicken livers near where you cans iv never tried it but i bet it would work! and its more sanitery than gathering road kill lol!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:34 am

sdsviper wrote:We had fish fry before we came home. Cornbread,fried potatoes,and cherry cobbler. Very Happy
I ate so much it hurt.

Man this eatin is only understood by the country folk..... hehehe

nice cats, I am so hungry now....

very nice...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:48 am

I've had some luck with raw bacon. Hooked, and tied on with a rubber band.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:24 pm

wallenba wrote:I've had some luck with raw bacon. Hooked, and tied on with a rubber band.

I would bite on bacon..... besides that is pretty expensive bait, but if it works then it is worth the money......
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:11 am

Nice cats Viper! Don't know how I didn't see this post before now?
It's about time for me to fry up some more fish, this post made me hungry for fried fish and taters! Yummmmmm!!! Very Happy

Best catfish bait I've used lately was raw shrimp from walmart frozen fish section. An old timer took me cat fishing back in early spring and we brought home 15 nice sized keeper cats, biggest was probably 6 lbs. the rest were just good eating size in the 2.5 - 3 lb. range.

Yep Hawcer we used to fish with helgramites (dobsonfly larvae) when I was a kid. You wouldn't every think it, but these hellish looking creatures actually turn into a huge beautiful dragon fly.

Tommy- are you talking about catalpa worms? Black and yellow striped with black blotches on them and they eat the leaves on catalpa trees which some people call cigar trees. I haven't seen those for years around here cause I think they finally sprayed the trees enough they finally killed them out? Real shame too cause that's some of the best fishin bait you can get, everything that swims loves catalpa worms!

Last edited by Mohunter on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:35 am

Yep those are it. Looks like they got a stick on their rears. Dad always called them Bean Worms and the trees Bean worm treas. He would lay a tarp down and shake a branch and then we would pick them up. He would freeze them.

They would go into hibernation and as they thaw, they would start moving again and we would fish with them... Put em line with different color beads and stuff....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:38 am

Daywalker wrote:
wearing gloves, grab up all the dead animals you can. Road kill whatever. Place them in a berlap sack and weigh it down. Boat on out to an area you know your gonna be fishing within a weeks time. Toss it over let it sink.

Careful there DW...someone might think you are getting rid of evidence,LOL
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:09 pm

haha pesky yappy neighbor poodle.... hehehe just kiddin.... or am I ???? muhaaa..
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:09 pm

They are one ugly looking fish......Hope they taste better than they look....LOL
Aussie
Aussie

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Oh they do indeed! Your tongue will nearly slap your brains out trying to get to the next bite bounce
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

Mohunter wrote:Nice cats Viper! Don't know how I didn't see this post before now?
It's about time for me to fry up some more fish, this post made me hungry for fried fish and taters! Yummmmmm!!! Very Happy

Best catfish bait I've used lately was raw shrimp from walmart frozen fish section. An old timer took me cat fishing back in early spring and we brought home 15 nice sized keeper cats, biggest was probably 6 lbs. the rest were just good eating size in the 2.5 - 3 lb. range.

Yep Hawcer we used to fish with helgramites (dobsonfly larvae) when I was a kid. You wouldn't every think it, but these hellish looking creatures actually turn into a huge beautiful dragon fly.

Tommy- are you talking about catalpa worms? Black and yellow striped with black blotches on them and they eat the leaves on catalpa trees which some people call cigar trees. I haven't seen those for years around here cause I think they finally sprayed the trees enough they finally killed them out? Real shame too cause that's some of the best fishin bait you can get, everything that swims loves catalpa worms!

You must have been making a kick A___ bow. Remember to much work makes for a cranky uncle Mo.
++++ on the Catalpa worms but if you can net some shad cut shad and live perch make the big ones bite.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next