Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AA-HS reloads & the fat lady's thighs

3 posters

Go down

AA-HS reloads & the fat lady's thighs Empty AA-HS reloads & the fat lady's thighs

Post by chingachkook Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Yesterday I finally received all the reloading components from Midway and I decide to load up a few hulls to see how they were all going to work out. So, I loaded up 3 hulls with Hornady .330" 00 buckshot and 3 with .680" Lee Drive Key slugs using Claybuster CB1118-12 (WAA12 replacement) wads. I observed that after loading the hulls with the buckshot (3X3 or 2X4) there profile was bumpy like those thighs mentioned in the title and the slug loads were even worse looking more like a side view of me with my belly hanging over my belt. So, I got my shotgun barrel out and tried to drop them in the chamber and the reloaded shells would only go into the chamber as far as to the area where the bumps or bulges began. So, I cut the petals off a couple of wads and gave that a try and the reloaded shells dropped in and out of the chamber freely.

I understand that the AA hulls are tapered and because of the taper you have to use a wad with the tapered powder seal because I have reloaded Trap and hunting loads with AA hulls and genuine WAA12 wads in the past with no problem, but the buckshot and slug loads are new to me. So, now I have a couple of questions I'm hoping the good folks here at ATG can answer for me.

1) Is cutting the petals off wads that are way to thick (.040) okay to do with the Lee Drive Key slug and/or the buckshot or are the slugs and shot going to rattle all the way down the barrel upon ignition?

2) Has anyone else here experienced this same problem and if so how did you resolve it?

The Claybuster wads were on sale at my local Gander, so like a dunce I bought a thousand of them and as is usually the case with me and good deals it wasn't such a good deal after all.

On the bright side I did have absolutely perfect crimps on the limited number of hulls I reloaded. Yehaw
chingachkook
chingachkook

Back to top Go down

AA-HS reloads & the fat lady's thighs Empty Re: AA-HS reloads & the fat lady's thighs

Post by Reload3006 Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:35 pm

As I recall you have been loading shotgun shells as long or longer than I have. I ask what would be the difference in cutting the petals off and using fiber wads that we used to do? I dont think it will hurt anything at all. May even help some. The most important thing as you know is getting a proper seal on the powder for consistent ignition.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

AA-HS reloads & the fat lady's thighs Empty Re: AA-HS reloads & the fat lady's thighs

Post by chingachkook Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Reload3006, my main concern having never reloaded slug or buck before is if the slugs are going to bounce down the barrel and become out of round and cause leading which we both know is not conducive to good accuracy. Besides which I sure don't feature slitting 4,000 wad petals. Very Happy

Seems I've recently read somewhere that the Lee slugs were actually developed to be used with a plastic wad or shot cup, but I can't seem to remember where I read that.
chingachkook
chingachkook

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:04 pm

I dont know about the Lee slugs but I do know the Lyman Slugs are.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:38 am

The Lee slugs will expand under firing pressure....so they won't bounce down the barrel.

I'm not sure why your buckshot is dimpling the hulls....maybe overcrimping force?
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:50 am

chingachkook wrote:Reload3006, my main concern having never reloaded slug or buck before is if the slugs are going to bounce down the barrel and become out of round and cause leading which we both know is not conducive to good accuracy. Besides which I sure don't feature slitting 4,000 wad petals. Very Happy

Seems I've recently read somewhere that the Lee slugs were actually developed to be used with a plastic wad or shot cup, but I can't seem to remember where I read that.

This same topic came up in another forum. On Lee slugs and some wads the base of the slug will not fit in the wad and will cock to one side ruining accuracy and the ability to fit in the shotgun. I recommend that you cut the petals off or Just use fiber wads Or a different wad ... Or you could if you have or can make the tooling, bevel the base of the slug so it will sit straight. The dimples will not hurt anything as long as they will feed in your shotgun.
As far as leading goes Regular shot is graphite coated to prevent leading. Get a bottle of powdered graphite and tumble your buckshot and slugs in that. I bought a 2lb bottle not long ago for under ten dollars.
Good Luck and Happy shootn!!
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum