Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eotech 516 review

4 posters

Go down

Eotech 516 review Empty Eotech 516 review

Post by hawcer Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:13 pm

I was desparately needing a optic for my AR15 pistol for faster target acquisition. It harder than I thought to line up the sites quickly without a buttstock to pivot from.

Here is my Adams Arms piston uppered pistol I put the Eotech 516 on.

Eotech 516 review Eotech10

I chose the 516 for the slightly shorter profile than the model 512 and for the side access controls(buttons). It also takes CR-123 batteries instead of AA's. This means longer shelf life and longer hours of use, but they are also harder to find. The side buttons are mainly for the unobstructed use with a magnifier installed. They are quite close together which makes it difficult to turn the unit off. I found it is much easier to open the battery compartment to turn the unit off.

The 516 also has a built in riser base that raises the reticle an extra 7mm above the weapons existing sights(if used). This allows for a non-obstructed view of the reticle in the upper half of the sight window and also allows for the use of the sights in the lower half of the window.

The next two pictures show the difference in sight pictures:

Eotech 516 review Eotech11Eotech 516 review Eotech12

As you can see, the reticle is clearly visible and unobstructed by the sights, but if you look down the sights, the reticle lines perfectly up on top of the front sight post when adjusted correctly. This reticle will appear more dim while looking down the sights, but is still visible. I turned up the brightness to get a better capture on camera.

So, in all reality, flip-up type sights are not a necessity, but would still be a good option...especially with the use of a magnifier.

The windage and elevation adjustments have possitive clicks and are easily turned with a fingernail or small screwdriver. It installs and removes easily with the turn of one screw knob. Eotech does offer quick release models for about $100 more. For the average shooter, they are not really necessary,imo.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the model 516. If you like all these options but would rather have a AA battery , look at the model 517 instead.

More eye candy:

Eotech 516 review Eotech13
Eotech 516 review Eotech14
Eotech 516 review Eotech15

Last edited by hawcer on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Eotech 516 review Empty Re: Eotech 516 review

Post by Daywalker Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Very nice. Looks awesome sitting on that pistol. When I was suggesting the 512, it never dawned on me it was for your AR pistol. It makes sense to go with the smaller profile. Congrats on the site. They compliment each other very well....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Looks like it will serve you well on that AR. I like the way the sights line up. The AA's are more plentiful but they also have a downside. I left some in my mini mag light too long one time and they swelled up inside the tube. Wound up putting that one in file 13. Haven't seen too many button cell batteries do that. I think you did good with the 516 - looks good. Thanks for the review.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:05 am

I like the cowitness with the BUIS.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content