Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

20g rust

+2
EdgarEg
Daywalker
6 posters

Go down

20g rust Empty 20g rust

Post by Daywalker Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:06 pm

I have this Pardner 20g, break action, that I have been leaving out at the camper to deter critters and things. It has been out there laying under the bed for the past 2 weeks. Today, I carried it up into the mountain with me and I noticed that the barrel has some surface rust now. I have reblued this shotgun a few years ago and it has looked great in my gun cabinet.

Is there anything I can do that will not removed the blueing so that I won't have to reblue it again? What will be a good way to store it out at the camper to prevent it from rusting again?

Thanks in advance....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

20g rust Empty Re: 20g rust

Post by EdgarEg Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Here is one technique to be careful about. Using 0000 steel wool.
Blue Wonder folk said I could use 0000 steel wool to remove rust. See right here:

http://www.bluewonder.us/RustRemovalwithBlueWonderGunCleaner.html

I tried the 0000 steel wool on my 514 Remington barrel and the blue did come off! Maybe I did something wrong - I don't know.

20g rust Rem51410
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:38 pm

What about good ole Navel Jelly? I can't speak from experience so I'm not sure about the effect on the blue. Unless they put some kind of addetive in it i don't think the jelly it self would hurt the bluing since it is a petroleum based product. They say it removes rust Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 pm

get a rag and soak it with Kroil and just scrub it you will remove most of the rust. If its pitted its going to look rusted but shouldnt be too bad. if it takes more than that your going to have to touch up blue it.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:20 am

I have used 0000 steel whool with great success on several firearms. You do NOT want to use any harsh chemicals when using steel whool. Honestly the best I have used is frog lube (in the liquid form) and do not put a lot of pressure on it. If the barrel is porous and you put a lot of pressure on it it can remove some of the blueing. Just last week I did a savage 620 for a friend that had some heavy rust/pitting at the muzzle and a lot of surface rust throughout the barrel and receiver. The heavy rust came off but the pitting remained as I expected, and the surface rust was all removed. He couldn't believe that it was the same gun.

On a side note, I have been using frog lube solely as my cleaner, lube and protectant. The stuff is just simply amazing. It prevents rust from forming, it absorbs into the metal and is self lubricating as the metal heats up. And once you use it several times cleaning becomes easier each time. I use it in the paste and liquid form and have been amazed by how well it works. I actually was hesitant on what I heard it does at first and didn't want to spend the money on it until I read a few reviews and watched a few videos on YouTube, so I bought the liquid and went at cleaning a pistol that was cleaned just a few days prior with hoppes #9. First thing I did was run a dry patch through the barrel and it came out clean, then i ran the same patch with frog lube on it and it came out almost black. After a few more patches and some rubbing I was sold. Plus its environmentaly friendly and smells good. The only bad thing I have found so far is that i only bought the 4 oz bottle and have been using it on everything, including to clean my dies.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:23 am

I've used CLP and steel wool to get surface rust of before without losing any of the blueing.
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for the tips!!

Tripples, I have some Frog Lube here, I will try that before I head into town to pick up some other items... Never thought about trying it...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:35 am

If your going to buy steel whool make sure it is 0000, stay away (no actually RUN away) from the crap harbor freight sells.

Once you get that baby cleaned up take a hair dryer or heat gun to all the metal parts and warm it up good (not so its red, but hot enough that you don't want to hold onto it for long) and put the frog lube on a little on the heavy side, let it cool and wipe the excess off with a soft towel (they recommend micro fiber)

Oh yeah it also works great on the choke tube threads to clean them up and keep them lubed up so you don't have to fight to get the chokes out.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum