Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder measure

+5
Daywalker
EdgarEg
george457d
Reload3006
Sasquatch-1
9 posters

Go down

Powder measure Empty Powder measure

Post by Sasquatch-1 Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:27 pm

My old tried and true RCBS uniflo that I have been using forever is not up to the task of thowing small charges of Unique. It seems that when tring to drop under 4 grains of powder I am constently cutting the powder.

What is a gould powder measure for small loads?
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Powder measure Empty Re: Powder measure

Post by Reload3006 Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

IMO the little dandy .. but lee has a version roto disk that people claim is good. I am a known lee hater though ... My biggest complaint against the RCBS little dandy is you have to buy each roto disk separate. but they do a great job on the small stuff.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Look into the lock-N-load
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm

george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:37 pm

I notice that if you buy one of the Redding powder measures you have to make sure you get the handgun metering chamber if you want to throw small amounts like a handgun would use.
Powder measure 241142
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/610710/redding-match-grade-3br-powder-measure-with-handgun-metering-chamber
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/241142/redding-3-powder-measure-with-universal-and-handgun-metering-chamber
Powder measure 610710
I do not have one, they seem pricey to me, twice the cost of the Hornady. But Redding stuff is good.

EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 am

I used to have the Lee Perfect Powder measure. It worked flawless even tho some has had powder leakage. However, I never had to throw a charge so small, so I could not attest to the fact it will work. Right now I have the RCBS Uniflo that I got in on a good deal with a press that I got from a friend. I also have the LnL, have not used it yet, however, you do have to get the correct rotors for the amount of powder being dropped.

I know that XbonesX has the LnL Powder measure with his LnL press as well as Richbirdhunter.

I know, I just did not help one bit.....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdsviper Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:33 am

Reload3006 wrote:IMO the little dandy .. but lee has a version roto disk that people claim is good. I am a known lee hater though ... My biggest complaint against the RCBS little dandy is you have to buy each roto disk separate. but they do a great job on the small stuff.

+1 The little dandy works good for me you will tie up some $$ with the rotors but they last for ever.
sdsviper
sdsviper

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Unlike Reload, I am not a Lee hater.

I have the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and the newer ugraded Lee powder measures. Lee makes a micro disk for tossing small charges of powder that works fairly well.

One note though I have noticed with the Lee is that you have to keep the powder cannister near full so there is enough weight of powder to force the powder into the metering holes.

With Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot and other powders, if you let the powder measure get too low, the powder will toss light charges.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:06 am

scorge30 wrote:Unlike Reload, I am not a Lee hater.

I have the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and the newer ugraded Lee powder measures. Lee makes a micro disk for tossing small charges of powder that works fairly well.

One note though I have noticed with the Lee is that you have to keep the powder cannister near full so there is enough weight of powder to force the powder into the metering holes.

With Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot and other powders, if you let the powder measure get too low, the powder will toss light charges.

This in it's self is enough to leave the Lee out. I am not against Lee I just want consisteny.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 am

I know some people are going to fall out of their seats when they read this. However, DEEP BREATH..... Lee is all plastic as well as the rotor disk and things. RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, not talking about the tube, are either cast or metal (think I am right). I know the rotors are metal as well and won't wear as fast.

Something else to think about.....

I would own another lee powder thrower no problem. Just keep that in the back of your mind about material.....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:27 am

I think Hater is a strong word. I own lee products and have varying degrees of satisfaction with them. Lee is a great tool for folks on a limited budget starting out. Don't get me wrong. they get the job done. I am just at a station in my life where I have all my kids grown and gone and I can afford the better stuff. You can get there from both directions. Its like why buy a Lincoln town car when a VW will get you there... Because the Lincoln will get you there a lot more comfortably. The RCBS little dandy is a very good and accurate powder thrower. But it is expensive. I have one and like it. I don't use it much anymore because I load most if not all my pistol rounds on my Square deal or XL650 and I don't sweat a tenth or two variation in my powder charge.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:38 am

I have the RCBS Chargemaster, RCBS Uniflow, and Hornady LNL.

Because I had the Chargemaster I never used the Uniflow until Fletch asked to borrow it (because his Lee wasn't up to the task Razz ). He's used it several times and has told me it was never once off when he measured. A couple months ago I decided to use it for the first time in 6 years and it was never more than .1gr off, about 6 times over 650 cases.

The Hornady LNL when off, has always been between .1-.3gr, when used on my progressive press. Not bad considering when I had a Dillon 550 it was .3-.5+ off constantly. My Hornady can only be activated on my progressive press because I do not have a stand or handle for it.

If I had the extra money I'd buy a Harrell Twisted Evil
http://www.harrellsprec.com/

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 pm

The Lee is all plastic as DW mentioned. It gets the job done and does not cost a lot.

If you are aware of its shortcomings, the Lee powder measures work and are not terribly difficult to use. There are few parts to purchase, and as long as you are reasonable in your treatment the Lee powder measures work well enough.

If you search on the 'net, there are quite a few hacks for the Lee powder measures. Caveat emptor! Some of those hacks can be quite dangerous but the nice thing about them if you screw up a Lee powder measure you are out maybe $50.

The old square Lee Auto Disk powder measure leaks with very fine powders like TAC, H110, etc and can be quite irritating to see powder spill out the sides every time you move the handle.

I have to wipe the inside of the Lee cannister with a dryer sheet to break the static or some light loose flakes of powder will stick to the sides.

My biggest complaint against the Lee powder measures is when loading large magnums they need to be refilled often. When I load .338-378 Wby, .300 RUM, 7 and 6.5 STW, I have to refill the powder measure every 20 rounds or so.

All three of my Lee powder measures have lasted more than 5 years so I am pleased with them for the price I paid.

I have two small children at home still and am a stay at home dad US Army retired on disability.

The Lee works for me and fits my budget. I don't care if people hate Lee I understand everyone has a preference.

I rarely toss small charges of powder anymore so the micro disk does not get used much.

The smallest things I load are .45 ACP and .38 Special. I avoid the powders with small charges because it drives me crazy to do it on a single stage.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:58 pm

If you gonna use lee powder dippers (like I have in the past)
then also get your self a scale , and a trickler ...
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:46 pm

I have 3 uniflow powder measures, 2 of them are setup with the pistol metering rotor, and have not had a problem with unique, or any of the powders I use. I also have a Redding powder measure that works just as well, and the lnl powder measure that's on my lnl ap all seem the throw consistent charges. I have to play with them from time to time to get them set just right. I did have problems with consistency prior to using the powder baffle, now all but 1 of my powder measures have the baffle installed in them, and all work flawlessly.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:43 am

Just got a reply back fro RCBS. I may order one of these and see how it works.

Hi part #9004 small cylinder assembly will measure from 0-40

Thank you,

Technical Services/cm
ATK/RCBS Operation
(800) 533-5000
Customer Service Hours:
Monday-Thursday 6:30am to 3:30pm
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content