Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G'Day from Australia

+8
EdgarEg
Nicnac
XbonesX
Reload3006
hawcer
RichBirdHunter
eagle60
halcyona
12 posters

Go down

G'Day from Australia Empty G'Day from Australia

Post by halcyona Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 am

Hi from Western Australia.

Just so you know Western Australia is one of the biggest states in the world ( I kid you not!, just have a look on the map). I mainly hunt feral cats, foxes and pigs and even cull roo's when in plague proportion However sometimes the occasional camel, donkey or dingo (crikey mate!). These are all classified as vermin as they are a introduced species and destroy the natural habitat. Also do a bit of club shooting. Just joined the forum here and i thought i would say hello.

Just getting into reloading and the making of my own lead projectiles. Been away from hunting and the sport for a while but wanted to get back into it. Currently own a Hornady LnL AP press. (nice press but the primer feed needs a bit of attention. Only flaw in the system)

I own 12g, Remington 700 in .223 and a Remington 700 VTR in .308

Well thats enough of my rambling's So as we say in W.A (Western Australia not W.A Washington) G'day :barri:
halcyona
halcyona

Back to top Go down

G'Day from Australia Empty Re: G'Day from Australia

Post by eagle60 Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:39 am

Welcome to ATG! Glad to have you aboard.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 am

Howdy and welcome
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 am

Welcome to ATG! Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:55 pm

welcome aboard!
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:36 pm

welcome
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicnac Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Welcome abroad, Mate. Glad to have ya here.
Nicnac
Nicnac

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 am

Welcome.
My understanding is that in Australia, if you can trace your ancestry back to a criminal that was transported to Australia as punishment that is really is a point of pride. So, dare I ask, can you trace your ancestry back to someone sentenced to "transportation" to Australia?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by halcyona Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 am

Some people can trace there ancestry back through criminal convicts and yes they do show it with a bit of pride. Alot of the original buildings were built by convicts. Alas no skeletons in my closet that i know about. I originate from mother England (hahahaha) Came to Australia when i was 2 yrs old Smile. Probably best thing for me. With Western Australia, where i live the weather is similar to San Diego. But one thing i notice when i come back from overseas is that Where i live it is very clean and no smog or pollution in the air. And the good thing in the bush (as we call it) you can drive for a whole day and not see any one....
Only been to the West coast of USA but loved it. Would love to go hunting in the sierra mountains or inland a bit
halcyona
halcyona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:09 am

Welcom, I could not imagine shooting a donkey or a camel as a hunting activity. Mind you if that is what it takes to control them where you are I have NO problem with it what so ever. I just think it would be wierd seeing as I grew up watching the old crusty western sidekick arguing with his donkey.

Is there any food value in camel?
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by halcyona Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:16 am

In OZ any animal not native to OZ or is a introduced species is generally regarded as feral, Dont know about value of the meat in camel, but i have heard it don't taste to bad. Even kangaroo's or roo's as we call them are culled on a tag system. What happened is because of the introduction of water in outback Australia the numbers exploded and the roos are culled as a planned management. To give you a idea of feral animals we have a over 8 million foxes, 200 million rabbits, 1.1 million camels, 500 000 brumbys, up to 23 million pigs, 200 000 fallow deer and these are a low estimate. Its not saying we are over run but they need to be managed. If i shoot anything i usually bag it for dog food. Or if its a good meat keep it for consumption. Forgot to say also over 1 million feral donkeys, but i havn't shot them as someone told me they have a white marking on the back like a crucifix (no i'm not religous) hahaha
halcyona
halcyona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 am

I had never heard of a brumby before (except as a charachter on the old JAG TV show). I take it that it is a wild horse and you can legally hunt them. I can only think of the outcry from PITA in this country if we started hunting horses.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by halcyona Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:49 am

Yup a brumby is a wild horse, the stations have there own horses but the wild horses were never here originally. They were introduced and Australia has very strict quarantine laws. and in a lot of areas they have tried to eradicate any introduced animal. In the North of Australia there was a problem with the introduced water buffalo, with several hundreds of 1000's in number. They have almost eradicated the entire number down to only a few hundred. Mmmmm buffalo burgers sure do taste nice. Are wild horsed in the states introduced have they always been in the states
halcyona
halcyona

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 am

I'm not sure if they were native or introduced by the Spanish. I believe that they were introduced by the Spaniards.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Sasquatch-1 wrote:Welcom, I could not imagine shooting a donkey or a camel as a hunting activity. Mind you if that is what it takes to control them where you are I have NO problem with it what so ever. I just think it would be wierd seeing as I grew up watching the old crusty western sidekick arguing with his donkey.

Is there any food value in camel?

My Grandpa shot wild burros in California in the 40's - 50's for food. He said it was pretty good. Pretty sure you can't do that anymore.

I found out a couple years ago that Hawaii has a "feral" cow hunting season. In Arkansas after 7 days on the loose your farm pigs are considered feral and your neighbors can shoot them on site.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by halcyona Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:21 am

had a friend just cook horse meat he was given named it pony polony... If you on facebook go to his site Hunt catch cook. In there he cooks whatever he hunts, pigs, rabbit, roo, horse. His motto is waste not !
halcyona
halcyona

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:20 am

Welcome Halcyona. It is nice to have others on here from OZ.
Aussie
Aussie

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:25 am

wow I missed this on.... Hello and welcome.... I know something about WA, I lived there for two years.... got married to a feisty little Aussie girl and we moved back to the states.... my in-laws are still there and we will be heading over for a visit in the summer....

nice to have you here....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by halcyona Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:03 am

Ahhhh Perth beautiful one day perfect the next, pity we have such crap gun laws
halcyona
halcyona

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:09 pm

yup, gun laws are crap there but now that parliament has changed hands a few years do you for see any change in gun laws for the better?

My wife is from south of Perth in south lakes region. My father in law just retired from driving road trains from Perth to Sydney. Now he drives some giant fold out movie screen truck to promotions, dunno but the pictures are cool.. reckon he likes it fine.
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Welcome Halcyona. I like the phrase eat what you kill, and don't kill what you won't eat. It's a good motto, but on the other hand I wouldn't eat a coyote which is akin to your dingos, and I wouldn't eat a feral cat unless it was the ONLY thing on the menu. Then I would probably put it in the crock pot for about 5 hrs. LOL
Hope I can help on your reloading, hunting, calling, ect.

I'm a Carnivore so everything (or just about everything) is on the menu here. Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down