Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advanced Reloading Techniques

+7
kcatto
EdgarEg
psloader
Hughie
hawcer
XbonesX
Reload3006
11 posters

Go down

Advanced Reloading Techniques  Empty Advanced Reloading Techniques

Post by Reload3006 Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 pm

OK here is the question. When do y'all use stuff like Polly fill. Of space fillers in your reloading
For example your loading cast in a 30-06 and your load calls for 14 grains of 2400 or 10 grains of red dot ... there is a whole lot of case left do you you a filler? If you use a filler explain why when and where.

secondly Does anyone use duplex loads?

Just a note I have used and done all the above but want your opinions and Ideas on it.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Advanced Reloading Techniques  Empty Re: Advanced Reloading Techniques

Post by XbonesX Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Never had a need to use pollyfill even though I bought a bag of it 6 years ago. To tell you the truth I have pretty much forgotten what it is used for.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:08 pm

The only reason for the polyfil is to keep the powder up against the flash hole for more consistent ignition....never used it myself.

IMR Trailboss does a good job of filling the case with low powder charges....so this seems like a better option to me.

I've never used duplex loads, so I can't comment.

I've used H4895 for reduced rifle loads, but is seemed to leave alot of unburned powder or incomplete burn of powder.

I have had good luck using Unique for reduced loads in 223. I tried some WST in some 300blackout reduced loads with about 50% success rate....maybe polyfil would help with these, but my initial loads were pretty conservative and may have played a large role in the failures.

You brought it up Reload....what Magic potions do you have mixed up you are not telling us about? pirat
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:21 pm

LOL I will let it ride a while longer I hope to hear a lot more answers. But so far you guys are pretty much on track with what I do.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:20 am

Duplex loading. It is definitely not a job for the weak at heart nor for the foolish experimenter. With the shortage of powder these days it is an option especially with the fifty caliber and 20mm surplus powders that are out there yet. The 2 or 3 grain kicker powder more or less makes a super magnum primer that causes this very slow powder to act more like a case of IMR4831 or 4350.

The fillers I use to try for more consistent results in especially cast loads. I have been kicking around the Idea and haven't done it yet with my rim-fire jacketed bullets in my .223 I think that slowing them down out of my 1:9 twist barrel may improve their accuracy. At least I plan to experiment with it. However using fillers in 30-30 and 30-06 I really didn't notice that appreciable a difference in accuracy. Perhaps I was using powders that wasn't position sensitive or perhaps I am just not as good a shot and I would like to be and the difference is not noticeable in my rifle or my personal abilities.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Hughie Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 pm

I would like to learn more about these duplex loads . I have never used them fooled around with the poly fill a little . Supplies of Varget, BLC-2 I have replaced with Reloader 10x and 7 seems no one here use those much reload10 works great for my 5.56 and the .308. 4831 IMR I am out of for the 7mag but everything is loaded for it and I have some Varget stashed . But the duplex loads please post more on them .I would like to learn more.
Hughie
Hughie

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Because of liability issues i will not list specific recipes but look for WC872 which is a 20mm vulcan powder. and some experimenting will have to be done on your behalf. to work up your own data. Some folks use a gun they aren't that fond of tied down and a string to set the first charge off. But basically the idea is to use a small charge of a fast powder such as half or less of a cast charge of say Red dot. I started with 1/4 the load for RedDOt cast then filled the case with WC872 its acceptable but I didnt keep it up to get great results. But it is doable. Some people say its not safe and I agree. Its not something that you should enter into lightly. DO NOT MIX THE POWDERS. you put your priming charge against the primer then fill the case with the slower propellant. You can get burn rates etc from the powder your going to use. Read LEEs volumetric data and information in lees book some calculations are in order. Also I am told Quick load will calculate some data for you. But as I dont own quick load I can not verify that.

But the theory is that this really slow powder will not create excessive pressures and that you would use it to fill your case under a specific bullet and you keep increasing your priming charge by a tenth of a grain untill you reduce the amount of unburnt powder fouling or your happy with velocity and accuracy results. So you definitely want to be using a chronograph in your experiments.

Check out the information on the web. its there and there are a couple powders that people warn you about not liking compression ... Listen to them.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by psloader Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:38 pm

I thank the pollyfill makes the presure too high may bee unsafe the only thing i have ever used polyfill is on pistol .
the slower powers would be a safe bet .

psloader

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Is a duplex load one that is part smokeless powder and part black powder?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 pm

it can be both
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:01 pm

A long time ago we used to load up a duplex and a triplex load for the 454 casull... but not in many years.....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by rupe01 Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:11 am

I use cream of wheat as a case filler in a duplex load of 51gr WC872 with a kicker of 5gr Red Dot against the flash hole. The reason i use duplex is because the WC872 only costs me 3 cents to fire my 7.62 x 54R and gives me 100% burn. The filler is essential to give compression to stop the RD kicker from moving from the flash hole. This is with my own cast lead bullets.

rupe01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sasquatch-1 Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:35 am

The only time I ever used a filler was when I had a tumble lube that was way too wet and I couldn't get the bullets to dry. these were light loaded 38 spl's. I used a little dryer lent to protect the powder from the lube. I did notice that the rounds had a little more pop to them. And it was interesting getting showered with bits of dryer lint.
Sasquatch-1
Sasquatch-1

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:08 am

I use poly fill with unique for 3006 sabot loads
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:22 am

Reload3006 wrote: Duplex loading. It is definitely not a job for the weak at heart nor for the foolish experimenter. With the shortage of powder these days it is an option especially with the fifty caliber and 20mm surplus powders that are out there yet. The 2 or 3 grain kicker powder more or less makes a super magnum primer that causes this very slow powder to act more like a case of IMR4831 or 4350.

The fillers I use to try for more consistent results in especially cast loads. I have been kicking around the Idea and haven't done it yet with my rim-fire jacketed bullets in my .223 I think that slowing them down out of my 1:9 twist barrel may improve their accuracy. At least I plan to experiment with it. However using fillers in 30-30 and 30-06 I really didn't notice that appreciable a difference in accuracy. Perhaps I was using powders that wasn't position sensitive or perhaps I am just not as good a shot and I would like to be and the difference is not noticeable in my rifle or my personal abilities.

What other powder was you using??

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down