Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

223 brass Swaging

5 posters

Go down

223 brass Swaging Empty 223 brass Swaging

Post by 2Amendrules Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:03 pm

New to this forum and have a question. I'm swaging some Federal 5.56/223 brass where the crimp is 4 hash marks around the primer pocket. When I swage with the RCBS swager using an RCBS Partner Press the crimps get pushed upward and form a slight burr on the face of the head of the case. Have lighly filed these and scraped with my trusty Buck knife to remove these burrs but wonder if there is a more efficient, simpler way to fix this problem. Have tried to adjust the swager quite a bit to see if that would solve the problem, no luck. These are Lake City brass 12's and 13's. Any ideas? Thanks

2Amendrules

Back to top Go down

223 brass Swaging Empty Re: 223 brass Swaging

Post by tripples Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Why not use your case mouth deburring tool?

I have been using the Dillon 600 swage and it does a great job and I haven't had any issues to note with any burrs on the brass after they are swagged.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:49 pm

I too have never had any burrs on the brass after swagging using my Dillon 600. There are a few people on here who use the RCBS and might be able to provide more understanding.

Like tripples said, I would use your deburring tool to give it a quick ream to knock the burr off.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by 2Amendrules Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:07 pm

The bur does not occur around the rim of the primer pocket, it's on the face of the head of the case. Thanks for the response.

2Amendrules

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:40 am

Just to be clear, your not talking about the inside of the case, the flash hole burr?

If your talking about the outside of the case, I have never seen or heard of that happening, but I suspect it might have something to do with case head separation.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:07 am

A picture would help...close up Macro, of course.

I use the RCBS swager and I have never been left with any burrs. try removing just the crimp "hash marks" with a chamfer tool ....smooth them over. Then swage the primmer pocket. if you are still getting burrs, something in your swager isn't set up correctly or your swager button is incorrectly machined.

I had a button that was swaging oversize and RCBS replaced it without question.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by B W M Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Sound like it is the primer pocket to me. Sound like he has some military brass that had a crimped in primers. When deprimming it left a little brass pushed out from the crimp primer hole. This will not hurt any thing. He could take a reamer and remove them or jest load and shoot that will flaten them back.

B W M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down