Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tumbler idea

+3
Reload3006
scorge30
dartfreak75
7 posters

Go down

tumbler idea Empty tumbler idea

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:06 pm

hey guys i got an idea on a tumbler and i need yalls help to help me come up with some design ideas heres what i got so far i saw dans sander tumbler and ithough i could make one too cause me and my dad share a tumbler and its kinda hecktec trading it back and forth so what i came up with is...starting with a electric motor off of a grinder im gonna weld some counter weights on the shaft to make a vibrator like a ps3 controller! then take a coffee can mount it to the motor and box it in with a homemade box then drill four over sized holes in the bottom of the box then make another box to mount the top box to using thread all bolt the too boxs together useing washers to act as bushing between the two boxs so the top will osculate freely due to the over sized holes but the bottom will be bolted firmly to the bench! any comments or suggestions im open to them all i want to know if you think this will work or not or if you have a better idea please let me know thanks alot and il will try to take some pics and add them so you can get a better idea of what im trying to do thanks alot dart
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

tumbler idea Empty Re: tumbler idea

Post by scorge30 Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:06 pm

I use my Grandfather's old rock tumbler that I inherited when he passed. Works but takes up a lot of space.

Not sure about your idea - might work. Cleaning cases is not rocket science, but if you can get the parts cheap - I say go for it.

Just please post pics and results if you do.

tumbler idea P1010012
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:11 pm

i would think (i havent done it) but my midway vibrator tumbler works like this it has a small electric motor mounted standing up with the shaft pointing up toward the tub. it has a small rectangular piece of metal with a hole drilled off to one end that is how its mounted on the motor. when the motor runs that causes an imbalance subsequent vibration dont see why that wouldnt work mounted to the bottom of say a plastic 5 gallon bucket ?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:36 pm

There are many ways to get the job done. Not sure why you would want to take the time and hassel unless you just want to because.

I have seen several of the rotary tumblers like mine, and even the newer vibrating polishers at swap meets and gun shows for reasonable prices.

Most of the auction sites have several of them listed all the time. Despite the cheap price I have yet to see one of the newer vibrating tumblers die, and we were running it 24/7 stuffed to the gills with LC 5.56 brass.

Mine is actually a rock tumbler with two 5 pound drums. I can put nearly 1,000 5.56 in each and it will tumble them quite well. It has an old 6 HP motor, so the electric company likes when I run it, but even with both drums stuffed to capacity, that old motor keeps chugging away.

My wife complains about the noise the most, and the fact that it is sitting in the dining room underneath the breakfast bar.

Steve
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:57 pm

:worthless-with lol!

If you want a good tumbler without the hassel I would say get a Lyman 1200 and never look back, but then.......where's the fun in that?
I understand about building your own, there's a certain satisfaction in building your own gizmos and gadgets. I myself am somewhat of a mad scientist and I love building my own tools, gadgets, and such.

My first tumbler was an arrow cresting motor and a Miracle Whip jug. Had the motor mounted on a board, then a system of belts and pulleys, home made gears and flappers glued inside the miracle whip jug to agitate the brass as it tumbled round and round. Amazingly it worked pretty darn good!
At least it got me by until I bought my Lyman 1200, and that was the purpose that I built it for.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 pm

lol thanks guys yea i will post some pics when i get started! yea this project is just something to do this winter like i said i dont need a tumbler i just have all these parts laying around i figured why not try lol il see how it turns out! thanks agian
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:21 am

Like I said, you could just run out and buy one, but where's the fun in that!! Very Happy
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:13 am

dart, i think you may run into problems using that motor like that, due to the high rpm's. also the shier size of it, would be omg, over welming.
sorry to be the poor sport.. it would be a trick in a half to maintain the bearings in the grinder motor.

using the palm sander method is truely the easy way, mainly because palm sanders are small, and they are already built to run for long periods of time, as well as the bearings are made to deal with the vibration. you wont have to do any welding either.. just 2 wood screws and and stand to allow it to stand freely.

anything that vibrates that is mounted to a bench, will vibrate whatever is on the bench onto the floor! i've seen my bench grinder vibrate a 50 pound tool box off of the bench. due to a off balance grinding wheel.

though, many others have already said to just buy one.. and i have seen real brass tumblers around my area for $40 and up.. though, a old palm sander with broken sand paper clamps will prolly only run you a $1.

Smile
dan
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 am

scorge30 wrote:I use my Grandfather's old rock tumbler that I inherited when he passed. Works but takes up a lot of space.

Not sure about your idea - might work. Cleaning cases is not rocket science, but if you can get the parts cheap - I say go for it.

Just please post pics and results if you do.

that is a cool rock tumbler! big too! man, i bet you could tumble some nice rocks in that thing.. as well as a tun of brass!
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:41 am

Hey Kevin, I got an idea for ya. It was a project I was working on before I found my excellent Lyman pro magnum 2500 on sale.

Utilize a coffee can. Make an adapter to run down through the bottom. This adapter allows you to utilize a drill. Get you some liquid nails and cut you some wood strips to add fins to the inside walls of the can. Buile a stand that you can lay the coffee can on and free spin supported at both end. One idea might be a piece of all thread or bar stock. Have it stick out about 4-6" past the front and rear but pass stright through. You can then put your media inside the can. Slice a cover with a slit in it for the rod to pass through and tape it closed to the can.

Then you can turn your drill on. Have a string or something to tie the trigger close. You will then have a tumbler and I guarantee you already have everything and spend nothing.. It works, have seen a couple in action. ....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAgitator Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:42 am

What kills me is that I got rid of a rock tumbler a few years ago. I had never used it and i wasn't into shooting so I couldn't foresee ever needing it for anything angryfire

I still have the motor. Perhaps I'll build another tumbler :barri:
BigAgitator
BigAgitator

https://www.youtube.com/user/BigAgitator?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm

i think dan has a point more trouble than its worth but i got to find something to do with the motor! any idea
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:01 pm

dartfreak75 wrote:i think dan has a point more trouble than its worth but i got to find something to do with the motor! any idea

can you give us a pic of the motor?!
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down