Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Data Card Logs Download

+4
wiederladertv
dcstaber
scorge30
Daywalker
8 posters

Go down

Data Card Logs Download Empty Data Card Logs Download

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Scorge30 had sent me some files in a zip folder for you all to download. These files are for shooting data logs. You can download the one folder which is zipped. It contains all the logs.

Thanks for sharing Scorge30

Shooting Data Cards

Last edited by Daywalker on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Data Card Logs Download Empty Re: Data Card Logs Download

Post by scorge30 Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Thanks DW for posting & you are welcome.

Part of what I love about this hobby is sharing.

Last edited by scorge30 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hit enter by mistake before done)
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by dcstaber Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:04 pm

The link doesnt work for me... Sad
dcstaber
dcstaber

http://www.go2engineer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Hmmm let me see what is wrong.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Ok fixed now. Sorry I had pasted the wrong url......
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Thanks for sharing with us!
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:50 pm

You are welcome, unfortunately I do not have a Deutch translation for you.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Yes scorge30 is very generous!!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:55 pm

scorge30 wrote:You are welcome, unfortunately I do not have a Deutch translation for you.

Thanks! I thing I do not need a translation yet...if I do I use Google or LEO translation! Laughing
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Well thats good to know.

These cards are pretty decent but there is always room for improvement.

I started this project because I did not like the commercialy available shooting log books. The cards are not finished & undergo tweaking as I determine a need or discover something new. Other shooters have also shared with me ideas & I have included some of those changes as well. By sharing with so many people I hope we can better the cards as we need them.

By using the Rite in the Rain paper through my laser printer & a small binder from an office supply store I can create a much better shooting log book than many that are from the large suppliers like Voodo Tactical.

My wife is pretty handy with the sewing machine & loves it when I give her an excuse to go the fabric store with a coupon to buy 400 Cordura fabric & big heavy long zippers in Coyote Tan.

She has made several binder covers me for each rifle that I tuck into my kit when I go to shoot. She was able to make them for much cheaper than we could buy them either from Rite in the Rain or Tactical Tailor down in Tacoma that makes some awsome stuff.

The wife also made small padded bags from the same material with a long zipper to store my extra BCGs for my various ARs. This keeps the oil & crap (especially the .22 LR Spike's Tac BCG) from getting on everything else & when they get nasty I toss them in the laundry.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Data Card Logs Download Empty One Data Card log with explanations

Post by EdgarEg Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Outdoor Life had an article about shooting logs in their October 2010 issue. It is here:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/2010/09/shooting-log

And here is the log they offer:

http://fsolmedia.com/OL/ShootingLog.pdf

But that PDF does not have the explanations.

Page 20 of the October 2010 Outdoor Life had the log on the top of the page and at the bottom of the page were detail explanations of each of the 23 areas of the log. That was very helpful.

The article in Outdoor Life
The log

Make your screen wide or you will only see the left side of the log with explanations:
Data Card Logs Download Outdoo11

Last edited by EdgarEg on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:15 am

Thats a good card too for all purpose shooting. Does leave some to be desired for more tactical course of fire though. Good for practice & to get used to the idea of keeping a card.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:20 am

tsxshooter over at another forum most of us used to belong to, posted the data cards and this binder:

Franklin Covey Desert Camo binder, closeout price $3
http://store.franklinplanner.com/store/category/prod530030/US-Clearance-Binders-%26-Covers/Nylon-Zipper-Binder?skuId=21225

plus a free shipping code 20050. I think a couple of the guys who ordered the free shipping didnt work, they emailed customer service and they fixed it.

perfect size for the data cards. I bought 3, use 1 for data cards, 1 for my EDC bag, and 1 for personal planning.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:36 am

Looks like a decent binder cover.

I like the one the wife designed & made for me because it holds my binder with cards, my compass, wind meter, weather data station, GPS, pens & pencils & other clerical miscelanay, as well as tough enough to suffer abuse by a Soldier.

I like the large pocket on the side with its sleeves to tuck my GPS, laser range finder, wind meter, weather station, extra batteries, pencil sharpener, extra mechanical pencil lead, & is still small enough to tuck in to my ruck that hangs on my roller cart.

In a perfect world I would have the same tools in every shooting binder, but I cannot afford so many GPS units & the weather stations. Although with technology improvements a lot of the newer weather stations for sportsmen have all the functions including GPS, although some lack things like elevation, heat stress index, wind chill factor, etc.

I have an old Kestrel 3500 that does a pretty decent job of recording the weather factors but I still need a few other tools to get all the data I like to have.

A compass is still useful for determining angle to target & I have yet to find a GPS with a compass feature that is as easy as a plain lensatic compass.

While a lot of what I record is just for my own edification, it helps to be able to determine how my scope will act if it is -4 outside or 104.

The wife scrathced her head when I explained why I wanted to know how high above sea level I was, the temperature including wind chill and heat stress index, the humidity, wind speed and direction, the GPS coordinates of my shooting position as well as each target, & a whole slew of other information that is only really pertinant to an anal distance shooter.

I still try to shoot at least three times a week although now due to injury & illness most of my shooting is indoor. To get to the outdoor range is a half hour drive each way.

My local outdoor range is only 300 yards but if I want to stretch my shooting distance some I have to go to the public outdoor unregulated range which is an hour & a half away each direction.

Since you have to set up your own bench (some a-hole decided to use the previous ones the state installed for fire wood) as well as all your targets, having a log book of previous set ups helps to speed the process.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:03 am

I have also purchased the binder that XbonesX posted for use with these data cards. I don't carry alot of weather monitering equipment or GPS's or anything like that. For the price they are nice. I had ordered 3, kept 2 and sent one off as a gift.

Either way guys, if you can have one made for you the way you would like it, that makes you a winner. If not, check out the Franklin Coveys. The data cards that Scorge is sharing fits these small binders like a glove...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:57 am

I know this is a dumb question. But when I click on the link for the data cards i get a sent to google documents? What Up wid that?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 pm

That i where I upload all the pdf files for you all to download. For me to host them on here, it takes up storage that I am alloted for which isn't very much at all. I can upgrade the storage, however, they want so much for a 3 month time. If I should miss the payment schedule, I will loose whatever is saved in storage and have to start over.

The google doc, thanks to xbonesx for telling me about it, is a free service that allows me to upload all pdfs so that you all can share them with everyone on the board..
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:08 pm

thanks got it just had to sign up for google docs. kewl Charts thanks Scorge Day cheers
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Did you sign up because you wanted to? Should not have been required to just download any files that I put up with a shared link??

Let me know, I may have posted the wrong link yet again..... UUUGGGGG I bite at this stuff....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:25 pm

well to get the charts i had to sign up. but its no biggie. thanks.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:52 pm

I like to know a lot of the environmental conditions that I shoot under. Not as important today now that I am not competing any more. I am getting lazy now though because I do not like to shoot in foul weather anymore.

When I competed we shot in all weather conditions only calling a match if the weather was hazardous to life or if lightning was present.

I have shot where I was laying in a puddle where only my two canteens on my belt were above water. My shoulders & rifle were out of the water but my ass & whole southern end was under water.

In competition you draw lots for your shooting position & if your position has a large puddle you can either withdraw from the match or get wet. Several of the matches around here they keep a heated shack & a small camp fire for competitors to dry out & warm up between rounds.

My wife is extremly handy with her sewing machine & after watching me attempt to stuff 15 lbs of crap in a binder sleeve not designed for it she made one for me that carries what I wanted.

Tactical Tailor will also make custom binder covers for a price & I am sure there are others.

When I get my scanner up & running again, I am going to scan some of the Voodo Tactical cards as well to share. I do not like the Voodo Tactical cards as much as I like the homemade ones or even the one from Outdoor Life.

The OL card is good for shooting the square method I mentioned of testing a scope's consistancy. It is set up well for shooting the square.

I had to send a Burris scope in for repair because it was wandering on 4x but was rock solid on every other setting. Without shooting the square on each magnification level I would never have discovered that I needed to send the scope for repair.

My wife for Christmas just gave me a Nikon M-223 1-4x20mm scope mounted in a Burris ARPEPR scope mount. I cannot wait to take it to the range on my new DPMS long-barreled upper for testing. You can bet I am going to shoot the square & test it reliability as much as I can.

I have destroyed more Barska & NcStar scopes than I care to remember proving to people that for general shooting & most people they are OK scopes but are seriously lacking for competition or tactical use.

Barska, NcStar, BSA, Osprey & couple of others these shooting cards will reveal all their faults especially past 300 yards.

Simmons, Weaver, Sightron, Nikon, Leupold Rifleman, Hawke, Bushnell (Elite 3200 & +), IOR Valdada, & Konus are some of the best budget-minded scopes out there.

I have had good results with these brands & these cards will reveal how surprisingly good these "cheap" scopes are.

My wife says I am a scope snob, but with these cards you can prove to someone just how crappy some of these cheap scopes are.

By keeping records we can determine which of the scopes shot the best & determine some of their "quirks."

While not everyone can afford a Nightforce or Leupold Mk 4 scope (or mortgage themselves to the eyeballs to buy one) using these cards to test a scope you can afford reveals its quirks so when you enter the field with the scope you are forwarned.

Shooting with the cards & recording each shot, helps you understand why you missed that antelope at 257 yards because on 6x your Simmons scope shoots 2" higher than on 9x for some reason.

Using these cards should not be only for shooters who compete or the "tactical wannabes." They are a good tool for every shooter to fully understand his rifle & scope.

The more time you spend at the bench shooting with the cards, the better your performance in the field when that trophy steps out of the brush. As our hunting budgets get tighter, being better trained & having the confidence helps us not to waste the couple month's pay we invest in a hunting trip.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:40 pm

brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down