Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FMJ HP SP

+2
hawcer
Reload3006
6 posters

Go down

FMJ HP SP  Empty FMJ HP SP

Post by Reload3006 Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm

I have noticed a lot of Hype in here about FMJ bullets. I haven't made any yet though i have made FMJs into soft points. Since I cant imagine any of us worrying about the Geneva Convention. Why would you even want to make a FMJ all match bullets you find are open tipped. I haven't ran the physics on it so I am just going by what I have read. Open tips are more accurate than FMJ. It would be unethical to hunt with FMJ so what is the big deal? I have made 22 rim fire flat base open tip and soft point bullets I have made Rebated boat tail open tip and soft point bullets using sierra and Burger J4 jackets all with a lot more practical uses than FMJ. You can buy FMJ bulk bullets a lot cheaper than soft or hollow points but you couldn't make them any cheaper. They are cheaper to buy for us because we get military over runs and seconds ... Some one please jump in here and explain to me what all the fuss about FMJ is over. I may be missing something.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

FMJ HP SP  Empty Re: FMJ HP SP

Post by hawcer Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Not sure on that one either....confused
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 pm

I guess i should say I am not directing any negativity at all toward anyone for any reason. I am just curious. I can understand doing it for the bragging rights as i have done that making Berdan primed cases into Boxer but other than that i cant see any purpose. So anyone that wants to comment im not looking to jump on anyone Im just trying to understand. And hopefully learn something in the process
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:01 pm

yeah, it just seems like it would be harder to produce a fmj than a hollow or soft point....
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:42 pm

this is a good question i have wondered about as well.... except I do know many gun ranges require FMJ's now to keep the lead dust down on the range.... but that is the best reason I can come up with....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 am

At first I had thought about the range restrictions. I know it probably makes the range operators feel more comfortable about lead contamination. But .. the base of FMJ projectiles is open and the lead is exposed. I believe about the only fully encased lead is plated. I of course could be wrong. Perhaps some of y'all who are living in areas where people have lead phobia maybe you should point that fact out to them. For example i go in with my open tipped bullets and a guy goes in next to me with FMJ they let the guy with FMJ shoot and not me is ridiculous because the tip of my bullet is open and the base of his is. either way lead is exposed. Actually the FMJ will be exposing you to more lead poisoning than the open tip because its exposed to the hot gasses.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:06 am

I know some ranges won't let you shoot FMJ's. The FMJ's that I shoot, I get form walmart because they are cheap. Winchesters 5.56's they sell at walmart are around 9 bucks, might be a little less. I have not bought any in a while. Remington UMC's are also pretty cheap to buy and make good plinking rounds.

The HP's at walmart is a bit more expensive. Now this is my walmart here where I live. I would think it was like that at other walmarts too??
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:24 am

i dont really like fmj eithor the only thing i shoot them out of is my sks and mosin cause they are cheap iv always been scared of them casue they are more likely to ricochet!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:37 am

dartfreak75 wrote:i dont really like fmj eithor the only thing i shoot them out of is my sks and mosin cause they are cheap iv always been scared of them casue they are more likely to ricochet!

Yep....and they keep going! I remember the days of shooting into the wood pile...I could put a hole clean through a 2 foot thick log with my Mosin shooting fmj...hollow points wouldn't even make it half way before coming apart.(I checked when I got around to splitting it.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:04 am

I agree that if you are buying your bullets or ammo FMJ is a lot cheaper and great for plinking because its military over runs or seconds. But to make them i dont think there would be any savings
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 am

I can see the other side of the coin....

Maybe, not swaging out fmj bullets to have fmj, but to prove that it can be done. Sometimes the "how" takes priority over the "why".
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:04 pm

there was talk on another forum about trying to replicate the M109 projectile...
but i don't see why you couldn't have it be a hp... if you got that far...

there Is no reason to make fmj unless you were trying to duplicate penetration from a jacketed projectile and commercial fmjs weren't available anymore... I sure cant see one anyway. it's not cost/time effective
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum