Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hornady LNL or Dillon 550

+2
CMAsailor
Reload3006
6 posters

Go down

Hornady LNL or Dillon 550 Empty Hornady LNL or Dillon 550

Post by Reload3006 Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:27 pm

I guess this is more for XbonesX as he has used or owned both. why did you go from Dillon to Hornady
I was in Grafs and was looking at both of course the sales person was trying to feed me the blue Koolaid and I really like the looks of the Dillon 550. I am not going to be buying one in the near future but in a year or two I will be getting one or the other Mostly for 9mm 44 mag and 45acp and who knows what else.
anyway anyone that can fill me in and bring me up to speed I would really appreciate it.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Hornady LNL or Dillon 550 Empty Re: Hornady LNL or Dillon 550

Post by CMAsailor Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I like that the LNL doesn't have any tricky proprietary widgets coming out of its ears, everything seemed straight fwd with the LNL and the cal conversions seem easy too.... and they sent you free bullets Cool
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:01 pm

I really liked the Dillon, but when it came time to spend the money Hornady was a better overall value for me, and I'm happy with it. It's a solid press
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:30 pm

my Uncle has had a Dillon 550b for 20+ years now, and he still swears by it to this day. It was one of the first presses I reloaded on. So when I started reloading I bought one. Well a progressive and a new reloader don't make a good combo. Long story short, I ended up blowing up a pistol. I know it was psychological, but never really felt comfortable on the 550 again so it sat unused for 2 years.

I started shooting a lot of pistol again and decided I really did need a progressive. A great deal on a LNL came my way and I decided to jump on it. It had features my 550B didnt have such as automatic indexing, case feeder, and 5 stations.

I prefer the LNL but technically its closer to the Dillon 650. You really can't go wrong with either, but the price and free bullet offer I think makes the LNL a better deal. However, Dillon hasn't changed their stuff in 20 years where Hornady has and might not always have parts available for the LNL.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:18 pm

I like the Hornady LNL. It's a smooth indexing press and caliber conversion is easy, cheap and fast. Have load 10000th of rounds on this smart tool without significant problems. Press
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:07 am

here is a very good site to check out if your considering a progressive press.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He has great rundowns of the major presses: Hornady LNL, Dillon 650, Lee Loadmaster, RCBS Pro 2000, as well as the Redding T7 and Lee Classic turret presses.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by wiederladertv Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:30 am

Yes, Gavin rocks!
Very good site.
wiederladertv
wiederladertv

http://www.wiederlader.tv

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks Bones , wiederladertv now I am even more tossed up than before. Both look like great machines. I'm leaning more to the 650 if i go Dillon. There are features that I really like about both and features I really dislike about both.
1) I dont like the cam lock system for the dies. -hornady
2) I like that hornady you pretty much use a regular powder measure +1 hornady
3) the Dillon is about 200 dollars more than the hornady
both can use anyones dies.
I dont know about the powder check dies
and i dont know about the powder dies
I am assuming from the looks i haven't heard whether or not the powder measure on the Dillon is a bushing type or adjustable like the Hornady.
Anyone used the RCBS pro 2000?
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:56 pm

I bought the dillon I got because it was offered to me at a great deal. My next progressive press will be Hornady LnL. The Powder check die, which I am sure you can use with the dillon is second to none from everything I have read and seen.

The biggest seller to me is the price. Both the Dillon and the Hornady IMO are neck to neck, so I don't see spending the extra cash. Both have the same warranty and will take care of their customers equally well..

There is this gentalman that, imo, did an excellent test between 3 brands, the Dillon, The hornady LnL and the Lee 1000. From reading his review and tests, I find that he was completely honest and fair with his opinions.

Here is the link to his article. Basically what it comes down to, how easy and quickly you can change things over. The hornady from what I have read, seems to be quicker when changing out cartridge conversions and things. Bones will have to chime in on that one..

I do love that Square Deal B that I purchase. The down side, I am limited to handguns which for me is no big deal. I am also limited to using dillon's dies only. But that is the SQDB press and not the other Dillons. I am fine with that. The only thing I would like to do other handgun in progressive would be .223's...

My goal is to have the LnL come next year. At that point, I will be able to comment on all 4 brands of press's depending on the model being talked about LOL.... That, and I want to get into collecting press's. Sounds odd I know.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down