Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benelli Nova

+4
XbonesX
brreed82
RemMan700
brow_tines
8 posters

Go down

Benelli Nova Empty Benelli Nova

Post by brow_tines Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Opinions on this gun? It's getting close to turkey season and I was thinking about a new turkey gun. So should I trade up (from a Mossberg 500A) or just trade up in pistols?

How's the recoil ? does anyone have any experience with this gun?
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Benelli Nova Empty Re: Benelli Nova

Post by RemMan700 Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:03 pm

I doubt the Nova is going to do anything more for you then the Mossberg.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brreed82 Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Its a fine gun but like Rem said your not going to get much more, if any, over your mossy.
I dont own one but have shot them on a number of occasions and they always went boom skeet

Alot of goose hunters picked them up when they first came(mid 90's?) out because they were one of the few if not only pumps that would shoot 3 1/2's. Never heard any complaints from them. As far as recoil, i dont recall it being significantly less or greater than whatever else i was shooting.

I would say go w/ the pistol but its nice to have an extra boom stick laying around. Either way you win! afro
brreed82
brreed82

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:59 pm

I agree with Ken & Brian.

If your going to buy a Benelli spend more and get a Montefeltro or something like that, but then you wont want to take it turkey hunting. LOL
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:50 am

I've never owned a Benelli, but I do own Mossbergs and my model 500 20ga will flat out hammer a turkey with my Xtra full HS Strut undertaker choke.
For a 20ga. it will reach out and touch one in the 40ish range, and I've also killed 2 coyotes with it if that tells you anything about how good it shoots.

The right load and choke combination means more than the brand of manufacturer of the shotgun. Each one is different and you just have to find that combination of load and choke that works. It can even vary from one gun to another of the same model and brand.
I would suggest trying Kent 3" magnums with diamond shot, turkey loads. They shoot awesome out of my 12ga. and my 20ga. they are also the most reasonably priced magnum turkey loads on the market.
Try different chokes until you settle on the one that patterns the best.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 am

Benelli makes a fantastic shotgun. In an auto loader maybe even the best I dont know I've shot them but OMG are they ever proud of them and I must confess that I am a south paw. so that really limits my selection. I have always used Remington 1100 1187 and now they offer a LH 870. Benelli has started offering a LH but it is just to expensive for me to justify. I can Kill all the turkeys i ever want with My BPS a lot cheaper. same with Remington. But please don't think I am slamming Benelli they are a fine shotgun just IMO very expensive and I don't think a turkey will be much more upset with you if you kill him with your Mossberg than with a Benelli and you can get a new pistol.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 am

haha...yeah, it's not like shooting a turkey with a Mossberg is going to make it taste bad....if it did, you could always say:

"Mossbergs leave a bad taste in my mouth"

LOL, just playing with ya Wink

if it's time to retire the old mossy, and you really like the New Benelli...who are we to stop you. Everyone needs to have at least one trophy gun,right?.

If the mossy is still kicking strong and you like it....get the handgun Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am

never shot one but saw it on the new benelli dvd looks wicked sick! i want one!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:32 am

Reload, me and you are in the same boat, we're both left-handers that's one reason I never was a big Glock fan it's totally set up for a right-hander, but I might give the gen 4 a shot later on.
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:52 am

brow_tines wrote:Reload, me and you are in the same boat, we're both left-handers that's one reason I never was a big Glock fan it's totally set up for a right-hander, but I might give the gen 4 a shot later on.

Are you looking for a new shotgun because your Mossberg is not left handed? You may want to look at a Browning BPS as they eject from the bottom.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

No I'm fine with the Mossberg I guess I just have a urge for a new gun
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:13 pm

That is why I have a BPS thumb safety on the top of the receiver and eject from the bottom very lefty friendly. I have the BPS 10ga and the Bps 20ga love em both.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 pm

+3 for Lefty. I am actually right handed though but left eye dominate and shoot left handed. My Grandpa is the opposite, he is left handed but right eye dominate and shoots right handed.

All but 1 of my guns are right handed and I have no problems. Now, if your lefty and shoot lefty I can see how there could be a problem with a right handed gun.

XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Yeah, the Mossbergs are ambidextrous with the safety on top and the only thing that might bother ya would be the shell ejecting your your side of the gun instead of away from ya? I wouldn't think that would be a problem though.

If your just hankering for a new shotgun then get the Benelli and make us a video review of it. Very Happy
I wanna see you break 9 clays before they hit the ground like the guy on the commercial does. Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Mohunter wrote:
I wanna see you break 9 clays before they hit the ground like the guy on the commercial does. Cool

Heck,I'm so good,I don't even have to fire and do that...they'll break all by themselves on a good day,LOL.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:59 pm

tongue
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm

I can shoot as good as hawcer LOL
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Reload3006 wrote:I can shoot as good as hawcer LOL
You and Hawcer each put one out there on the 500 yard back stop and break it, then I'll be impressed. rifleman
Oh and you each get 1 bullet a piece. Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:20 pm

lol mo you throw them 5 bird up and the all 5 will break with out me firing a shot. LOL.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:24 pm

emot-hijack sorry Brow. I can say from shooting a lot of shotguns it becomes more prevalent with heavy field and magnum loads but i get a lot of powder burn in my eyes when I shoot right handed guns. I got a Remington 1100 years and years ago before Remington was offering rem chokes. and it cured me from ever wanting to shoot a right handed gun again. there is that much of a diff.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Reload3006 wrote: emot-hijack sorry Brow. I can say from shooting a lot of shotguns it becomes more prevalent with heavy field and magnum loads but i get a lot of powder burn in my eyes when I shoot right handed guns. I got a Remington 1100 years and years ago before Remington was offering rem chokes. and it cured me from ever wanting to shoot a right handed gun again. there is that much of a diff.

thats my go to shotgun, a 1960's Remington 1100 my Grandfather gave me. Never once had powder hit me in the face. My Ruger GP100 and Ruger 10/22 thats a different story. That and the horrible trigger pull is why I sold the GP100.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down