Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shooting rests

4 posters

Go down

Shooting rests Empty Shooting rests

Post by RemMan700 Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:09 am

I really would like to get a good shooting rest but have never had much experience with them. I think a front rest and using rabbit ear bags in the rear is going to work better for me and hold the gun more stable than one of the one piece rests like the Caldwell Lead Sled. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what might be a good one to go with? I have been looking at the Caldwell The Rock BR but really dont want to spend $169 if I dont have too. Also, if you use one of these type rests do you have to get a pretty tall rear bag to level the gun out since these front rests look pretty tall?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Shooting rests Empty Re: Shooting rests

Post by hawcer Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:26 am

These are a little more economical...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just stay away from plastic rests....they bounce all over and most of the time are worse than having no rest at all.

Or do like I do...and go with a bipod and rear sand bag.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:38 am

That looks like a nice rest and looks like it has a lower height. I have a bipod but I still feel like I get more movement then when I just use straight sandbags.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 am

I really like my lead sled, it keeps everything stable while testing loads. The downside is the shoulder mount is uncomfortable and changes eye relief on your scope.
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 pm

RemMan700 wrote:That looks like a nice rest and looks like it has a lower height. I have a bipod but I still feel like I get more movement then when I just use straight sandbags.

yeah, and at under $40 each you could buy two, plus bags and still have less invested than you would in the other one. It adjusts up to 8" ....so I'm guessing the lowest setting would be around 6"...so a standard sized rear bag should work. If I keep going, I'll talk myself into getting one...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:10 pm

I thought about getting this one from Cabelas. Its on sale right now too.

I played with the Caldwell Rock at the store the other day and it had too much slop IMO for its price. Everything locked down tight and it still had play in it.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 pm

XbonesX wrote:I thought about getting this one from Cabelas. Its on sale right now too.

I played with the Caldwell Rock at the store the other day and it had too much slop IMO for its price. Everything locked down tight and it still had play in it.

I saw that one too. Did they have one out that you could play with? If so did that one lock up tight?
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:17 pm

I didn't because I was at Sportsman's Warehouse when I checked out the Caldwell Rock BR
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down