Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gunbroker auction for 38 cal bullet jackets

3 posters

Go down

Gunbroker auction for 38 cal bullet jackets Empty Gunbroker auction for 38 cal bullet jackets

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:02 pm

Surfing Gunbroker like I always do, I came across this auction:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=266157729

Seller says they have three bag available.

BTW I am not affiliated with the seller in any way. I present this information for others who might be interested without any expectation of reimbursement from either the seller or buyer. Sorry to have to use weasel words but someone might assume that I am in cahoots with either the seller or buyer.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Gunbroker auction for 38 cal bullet jackets Empty Re: Gunbroker auction for 38 cal bullet jackets

Post by hawcer Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:24 pm

it seems like a good deal ....but for a little more you can have the same amount of bullets, ready to load....unless no one else bids.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Gunbroker auction for 38 cal bullet jackets Empty Re: Gunbroker auction for 38 cal bullet jackets

Post by scorge30 Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:50 pm

Kinda what I thought too. Not sure if someone else would bid but it would quickly become uneconomical to buy these jackets unless you just want to make bullets and do not care about the cost.

I doubt any of us would actually ever recoup the money invested in swaging dies and equipment. I look at it more as something to do rather than something to make money doing.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:46 am

scorge30 wrote:I doubt any of us would actually ever recoup the money invested in swaging dies and equipment. I look at it more as something to do rather than something to make money doing.

I make money at it, not a lot but a little. Then again I don't advertise and don't make it a means of income, just a hobby that happens to make money from time to time.

I shoot alot and can honestly say that I have more the recovered the initial cost. It didn't happen over night but it did happen. I never run low or out and always have what my gun likes. Peace of mind in tough times.

You don't need dedicated press, just a good sturdy one. Dies can be bought for around $350 for most pistol calibers and some 22 calibers. Where you can get bogged down at is all the punches and specialty items.

Gas check and a chunk of lead, 3-5 seconds later and you have a round for loading. Faster than casting and cheaper to get started if you consider the price of sizer from Lyman.

Last edited by algunjunkie on Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:54 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:55 pm

As much as I love shooting cast bullets in my .357 Max, most of the regulated outdoor ranges here have banned exposed lead bullets.

I just got my 22 LR derimming dies but I have not got the rest of the dies to actually make bullets from the little hulls yet.

I at one time did have some CH4D 38 cal swaging dies but some A-Hole stole them from me because I made the mistake of turning my back on them while in the locker room in the squad area.

I had loaned them to a buddy in my unit, and he gave them back to me one morning before first formation. I set them on the bench and continued getting into PT gear. When I turned around the dies were gone never to be seen again.

I will probably never swage anything bigger than .243 again. I will eventually get the dies to swage both the .224 and .243 bullets from 22 LR hulls.

I'd love to be able to swage 17 cal bullets from the 22 LR hulls too, but that will be in the future.

Maybe when I start swaging 17 cal, .224 and .243 bullets I will recoup my money invested. I am more concerned with having something to do rather than making money or recouping my investment.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:21 pm

it is a great way to pass the time

I love to swage and load, almost as much as I love to shoot

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:35 pm

algunjunkie wrote:it is a great way to pass the time

I love to swage and load, almost as much as I love to shoot

I feel the same way. I spend most of my days either working on a gun project, in class for school, or at my loading bench. I am just getting back into swaging, starting with a 22 LR derimming die set after a nearly 12 year hiatus.

I just do not have the cash right now to get back into swaging anything larger. As much of a fan as I am of the 35s and 38 caliber rounds, for me right now I will stick with purchased bullets.

I still have my truncated cone 191 gr .35 cal Ranch Dog molds, and I have always wondered if one of those would have swaged into a nice semi-jacketed bullet.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum