Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.

+3
Reload3006
eagle60
EdgarEg
7 posters

Go down

Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.  Empty Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.

Post by EdgarEg Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:58 pm

The screw hole for the rear of the trigger guard on my Savage 16 stripped. The screw is fine. The stock is synthetic. How do I fix it? I cannot use wood filler in that synthetic stock can I?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.  Empty Re: Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.

Post by eagle60 Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:58 am

I would think that you could fill in the scew hole with fiberglass resin, drill and re tap the hole. Never done it but I think that I would try.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.  Empty Re: Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.

Post by Reload3006 Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:03 am

a good two part epoxy will sure work. Get some JB weld. mix it up plug it
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:00 am

Call savage and ask them, they may have a fix or they may send out a new stock
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 am

You could try the two part epoxy putty like I used on my stock. Loc-Tite makes a two part epoxy putty that you should be able to find in Walmart or any autoparts store. Post a pic of the screw so we can see what kind of threads it has. If it is the kind of screw I am thinking I think you can just fill the hole, drill it and put the screw back in.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am

Depending on how much you want to spend, there are thread repair kits available...

http://www.ezlok.com/Home/index.html
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 pm

The rear hole on my Savage 110 stripped out too.

I hogged the hole out with a Forstner (SP?) bit and then mixed up some left over Devcon from a bedding project to glue an aluminium pillar in place.

I bought the aluminium pillar from Midway for a Rem 700 BDL. I drilled and tapped the hole in the pillar for a replacement screw. Works much better than the damned hole in the stock.

I like the flat sided aluminium pillar as it gives me something solid to torque the trigger guard to.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgarEg Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:40 pm

RemMan700 wrote: Post a pic of the screw so we can see what kind of threads it has. If it is the kind of screw I am thinking I think you can just fill the hole, drill it and put the screw back in.
Good idea
.Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.  Woodsc10Rear trigger guard hole for synthetic stock is stripped.  Woodsc11
Does that change anything about anything that anybody said before?
EdgarEg
EdgarEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 pm

um you may want to get a new screw but two part epoxy will do it. But how I would get it done is I would take the screw and coat it with a release agent. also coat the trigger guard with a release agent fill the hole full of 2 part epoxy stick the screw down in there and let it all set up then just back the screw out. .......
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:46 am

Ok that is exactly what I figured it would look like. It is basically like a wood screw and once the hole gets wallowed out there is nothing you can do except bed a pillar or do like a two part epoxy or epoxy putty to fill the hole again. But before you do that I would try to see if savage will replace the stock.
RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down