Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

80% finished lower?

+5
Rick459
fletch_medic
Daywalker
hawcer
RichBirdHunter
9 posters

Go down

80% finished lower? Empty 80% finished lower?

Post by RichBirdHunter Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:25 am

Has anyone ever finished one? What do you think? The up side is its cash and carry, the down side is no serial # so what if you get caught?
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

80% finished lower? Empty Re: 80% finished lower?

Post by hawcer Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Rich, there is no "getting caught" it is perfectly legal to make your own firearm/receiver. You can have it engraved if you want ,but it is not necessary. Only drawback is....you can never sell it.

I wanted to do some 80% lowers just for fun....but since they were selling for more than a finished lower, I didn't see the point. But as of now, it might be the only option.

This might be a little iffy on states or cities that require people to register their firearms with the local PD.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:11 pm

As hawcer stated. I am looking at the fact that or personal use, you do not have to serialize it. There is a youtube video I believe where person has made one. Give me some time, there is a site that they sell the jigs on, there is an instructional video showing how a drill press is used to finish it.

80% lowers used to be inexpensive, however, lately, like everyone else, they are starting to capitalize on them. They know a person will pay.

Other upside, you will gain some knowledge on it. You can say, yea, I almost 100% built this instead of I bought everything stripped and put it together... oh, and the fact, cash carry and no one knows...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Here is the site that I have been going to a lot lately reading up on it. I think it is a good site. There isn't a video on it like I thought. May have to do a youtube search to find the video, unless I just had a dream about it..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

youtube search 80% lowers and there are quite a bit of video's about them...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fletch_medic Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:39 pm

So, theoretically speaking of course, I could buy an incomplete (80%) lower from let's say Daywalker. (this is just theory and we don't have any deal going on) And then I could pay him for some milling work? He wouldn't be selling a completed lower, just an incomplete one, and then charging me for craft/skill set that he has in milling. ??? Something to consider.
fletch_medic
fletch_medic

Back to top Go down

Post by RichBirdHunter Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Hey everybody, Fletch just told me that Tommy is selling lowers!! Put your orders in!!
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick459 Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:34 pm

fletch,
the other catch in building a 80% lower is that the buyer must perform all the machining work himself. you can not buy a lower and have some one else perform the machining work. that's why on some forum's you see 80% group buy's that include a build party where one of the buyers or sellers has the mill or lathe to do the work. HTH
Rick
Rick459
Rick459

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:37 pm

fletch_medic wrote:So, theoretically speaking of course, I could buy an incomplete (80%) lower from let's say Daywalker. (this is just theory and we don't have any deal going on) And then I could pay him for some milling work? He wouldn't be selling a completed lower, just an incomplete one, and then charging me for craft/skill set that he has in milling. ??? Something to consider.

NO, that would be illegal.

Now, if Tommy was standing next to you directing you through the steps on finishing the lower on his machinery...but you are doing the work. That is perfectly legal.

hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I just looked up some 80% lowers and they are on backorder till June 2013 the jig is also backordered till mid summer 2013. This is from colfaxtactical.com I didn't look elsewhere, I also noticed a 50% price jump.

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by RemMan700 Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:51 am

Natchez has a heck of a deal on 80% lowers right now and they are in stock.

RemMan700
RemMan700
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:18 am

RemMan700 wrote:Natchez has a heck of a deal on 80% lowers right now and they are in stock.

Those are raw forgings not 80%. On the 80%, the buffer tower is drilled and tapped. Also, all of your take down pin holes are drilled, your mag release is predrilled, where your grip goes is drilled and tapped along with the little hole for the detent.

The one that Natchez is selling, you have to do everything. Also on the 80%, the mag well is already milled out....

I am sure these could be done, and most of you are able, however, I don't have enough faith to do a raw forging....... But dang, 50 bucks, would be tempting try it. The only jigs available is for the trigger control ugggggg.....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:01 am

I really don't think I would jump at the raw forging for 50.00 once everything calms down I'm sure you are going to see the 80% back on the market. Where the price will be I'm not sure what to think there.
I think I hear a group buy for ATG 80% lowers!

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by george457d Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:51 pm

The soft curvy-lines of a Kalifornia-stock ,might make that "Black-gun" not so "ugly" Question

It's the furniture that the liberal-public is afraid of ,not the 1in ,5 shot ,ragged hole at 100yds

However , that's just my opinion
george457d
george457d

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:10 am

That defiantly would eliminate the pistol grip conundrum....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 pm

I used to dream of doing my own 80% lower but never got around to it.

KTO offer a complete bolt together Franken AR that does require a lot of tapping. Shot Gun News had an article on building one. They are back ordered until the next apocalypse, but I have heard good things about them.

As an aside my folks used to go to church with a few of the guys that work for the company. They are a good Christian company and I have hunted and spent some time afield with the owner more years ago than I care to think of.

Other than a brief familiarity with some of the people at the company I have no other affiliation with KTO but I love their products.

scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down