Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hornady decapping pin slipping

4 posters

Go down

Hornady decapping pin slipping Empty Hornady decapping pin slipping

Post by phodan Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 am

Hi all - new to the forum and glad I found it... great information here!

I've been having some issues with one of my Hornady 9mm dies. The decapping pin slips as soon as it hits the spent primer in my 9mm brass. I've checked and as best as I can tell, it is tight. I've set the pin to the correct depth, it is not bent and all seems to be in order, it just won't decap my brass.

Can anyone give me suggestions as to what I may have done incorrectly, or what else I can check? I have a lot of brass to reload and am a bit stuck now.

Reloader - Lock & Load AP with quick change die bushings

phodan

Back to top Go down

Hornady decapping pin slipping Empty Re: Hornady decapping pin slipping

Post by hawcer Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am

Is it the "Zip Spindle" type or have the friction nut that tightens against the shaft?

9mm is usually very easy to de-prime and doesn't take much force. I have to ask...the cases in question are Boxer primed, right?

Is it military brass that has crimped primers for some odd reason?

Something isn't right...do you have another caliber die set you could try to decap the brass with...anything with a small decapping pin will work as long as the sizing die is bigger than the 9mm case.

Try tightening the nut a tad more and see if that helps.

BTW, welcome to ATG! Smile
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Welcome to ATG.

My first thought too was crimped primers.
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by psloader Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:56 pm

My thoughts too Crimped Brass or steel case ? look at the back of your brass you can see if it has a Crimped primer you can still get the primer out but you will need to remove the crimp after .

psloader

Back to top Go down

Post by phodan Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 pm

Haven't had a chance to get back to this (life has interrupted!) but I will try tonight.

phodan

Back to top Go down

Post by phodan Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 am

Update:

Non-crimped primers; zip spindle sizing/decapping die.

I tightened up the decapping die and now I can decap one or two casings before it slips again - but now it's just slipping a bit so that the primer is half decapped. It's pretty tight and not sure how to tighten it any further.

I'm think I'll take the die apart and clean it thoroughly and try again. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

phodan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 am

Usually with the zip spindle, all it takes is finger tight plus about 1/4 to a 1/2 turn ....maybe a tad more with a wrench.Whatever it takes to just snug it up. You shouldn't need a wrench on the die body and a wrench on the nut to tighten it...if it takes that much tightening to keep the zip spindle from slipping, I'd say contact Hornady for replacement parts...

Also check to make sure the treaded decapping rod turns and adjusts smoothly when the nut is loose....if it's hard to turn without tools, the nut may have damaged internal threads.

Call Hornady or send them a message from their web site form...they'll get you fixed right up.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down