Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have experience with Heine sights?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone have experience with Heine sights? Empty Anyone have experience with Heine sights?

Post by eagle60 Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 pm

I finally got a chance to take my 24/7 to the range and was surprised to find that it consistantly shoots about 3 inches low out past 10 feet or so. It was the same with any weight bullet I tried. It also didn't matter whether I was using my loads or factory ammo. It came with Heine sights from the factory and I am having a little trouble getting adjusted to the sight picture. I did some research and found that most folks seem to have the same problem with it hitting lower than point of aim. From what I am reading, instead of aligning the dots back to front so that I only see a single white dot I should be stacking the front dot on top of the rear dot so that they form a "figure 8". I can see where it would help with target aquisition possibly but it seems like it covers too much of the target for me.
Has anyone had any experience - good or bad - with this type site? Better to try to adjust to these or replace them?
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Anyone have experience with Heine sights? Empty Re: Anyone have experience with Heine sights?

Post by Reload3006 Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:13 am

I think Sight acquisition is a personal thing and I would fit the gun to me. If I have been shooting a certain way for over 40 years... (not that I would be that old mind you)Suspect  I dont think in a situation of life or death I would want to remember to aim a certain way. I would adjust or replace the sights. Just me.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Anyone have experience with Heine sights? Empty Re: Anyone have experience with Heine sights?

Post by hawcer Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:57 pm

So you are saying your sights are like the "straight 8" sights?

as far as blocking your sight picture...whatever you are aiming at and focusing on (poa) should be placed just above the sights anyway, not below,in between or behind them. Wink

But it all boils down to what you prefer...if you can't get along with the factory sights, replace them with sights you can agree with.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by XbonesX Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:10 pm

I have never heard of Heinie sights before, but going to their website it sounds like you have their "Straight Eight" series of sights. The website says:
"Heinie’s SlantPro Straight Eight Night Sight for the Taurus 1911 Pistol. This is a sight set made to work together as a front and rear. The front sight has one tritium dot and the rear sight has one tritium dot. When you align the sights you create an elongated eight. "Straight Eight"."

I have never heard of such a sight picture before. Most people either do 6 O'Clock alignment or Center Sight alignment (my preference).
http://www.christiangunowner.com/handgun_sight_alignment.html
XbonesX
XbonesX
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks for the input guys. From what I am reading, Heinie uses a proprietary dovetail for their sights so it may not be easy to find a replacement. I should be able to get back to the range in a couple of weeks and I'll give these sights another try. If I can't get me, my progressive lens, and the sights to line up on the target like I think it should I'll be shopping for something to replace them with. Failing that, I may have to fire up the old milling machine and see what we can do about whittling out a set of sights Smile
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum