Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible 22rf de-rim die

5 posters

Go down

Possible 22rf de-rim die Empty Possible 22rf de-rim die

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 am

I am getting ready to head out and pick up a couple Grade 8 bolts 7/8-14x3" in length to see if I can turn one into a de-rim die.

What I wanted to let those know, who might be interested in a de-rim die. If your interested, might be able to do a group buy, I can turn down the push through punch and taper the end of the entrance hole, however, Lee Precision answered my email about their push through sizer die. They said for 25.00 plus 4.50 shipping and handling, they would make a custom push through sizer die at whever diameter I want. I had requested a diameter of .219 for the price. This tells me whatever diameter we want they will make.

Think on it. Might be a good after the season's over purchase. Would be nice to get enough and Lee gives us a price break since the tooling and stuff would already be set up? Doubt it tho LOL....

Last edited by Daywalker on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Possible 22rf de-rim die Empty Re: Possible 22rf de-rim die

Post by DanRickard Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:31 pm

tommy, you may want to go the 4 and 1/2 inch bolts.. they have a little bit of a unthreaded shaft, which turns down nice so that the lee basket will fit on the top of them like the lee push through sizer dies do.

lee told me the same thing awhile back about making a custom die for me.
but considering how much a bolt cost, it was much cheaper to just make one.

i took my derimming die i had made, and taped the bottom out to a 1/2-20 then i used some lock tight and inserted a tempered bolt into the bottom, cut it off, flush, then re-drilled it to the size i needed to make the .224 cups.
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:56 pm

I will probably still order me one of the lee dies. The price they are asking is much better than buying a de rim die for 188 bucks and that is if it fits a regular press. I am just using a bolt to practice with until I get it down pat on how to make one. Then I will be getting pre hard bar stock, turning it down to size, bore out, then thread it. Plus, not many people will be making these themselves.

I think in the long run and the staisfaction, this will be the best way to go. I want to be able to stand behind what I am making.

For those interested in the Lee Push through dies, custom made, if you like, I will still turn down the push through punch and taper the entrance of the die like I did with the .224 push through size die...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:28 pm

You know I'm interested....just waiting for a working prototype. Wink
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:35 pm

It will be after christmas before I can order one to modify. If they would make it then charge me when complete, I would order now, but I have to send in the payment first. They said it would be a 6 week wait. What was interesting, they said the 6 week wait was due to an overwhelming order for these??

Here is the e-mail...

Mr. ******: (I delted my last name)

Yes, we are able to make a Custom Lube & Size Kit in .219. They cost $25.00 plus $4.50 for Shipping/Handling. Current lead time is around 6 weeks due to overwhelming demand.

Thank You
Lee Precision

At 02:41 PM 12/16/2010, you wrote:

I was wondering if you could custom make a push through sizer die for a diameter of .219?

I really would be interested in one. I understand there is a 25.00 fee plus a 4.50 handling fee. Does this include shipping as well?

Thanks

Tommy

daywalker76@comcast.net

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Their custom sized dies in all sizes are prolly what's overwhelming...not the .219 you are wanting. and then again they could say the same thing to everyone just so they have plenty of time to get it done.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:33 pm

Oh yea, no I wasn't saying the diameter was overwhelming.... That the custom dies in general.

I just did not realize that there was so many different sizes that were needing to be customized... Sorry, guess I should have better stated that LOL
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:28 pm

I imagine there is alot of barrel sluging going on out there so alot of custom sizes are prolly ordered to match. Also I'm sure alot of reducing on bullets is being done in steps to resize bullets to oddball calibers or from like 7mm to 6.5, etc...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:45 pm

Very true. So easy to miss things like that when you aren't doing such sizing. I am stll a pup when it comes to all of this. Will just have to overlook my ignorance to things like this LOL. I am learning and you all have taught me a bit more I do have to be honest
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by johndeereboy24 Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Daywalker its me derek Ied like one if u are takeing orders just let me know the hole cost.
johndeereboy24
johndeereboy24

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I tinkered with this idea a while back. I used an old 7/8's bolt and turned it down to fit the Lee shell, drilled it on one end and used a piece of 1/4 drill rod turned down and heat treated as the punch. Used a piece of the same bolt to form the de-rimming portion of the die that fit the ram the same as a shell holder. That was probably backwards but worked fairly well as long as you can get them polished out real good. I was looking at some 7\8 drill rod this morning on MSC - kind of pricey though. Almost $25 for a 36 inch piece.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum