Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it...

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it... Empty that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it...

Post by kcatto Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 am

I have the raging bull 454casull in 5 1/4" barrel.... it is super sweet... will handle the 454 casull and any 45 colt I throw at it.....

I also have a puma rossi (now owned by Taurus) 454 casull lever gun 20 " barrel and it will feed 45 colts as well....

Awesome pair.... much versatility I also make short .410 shotgun rounds for the pistol.... hell on snakes, quail and dove...

I cast .452 round for both of them....

it will stop most anything short of a Bradley fighting vehicle... if the recoil does not stop me first...

Last edited by kcatto on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it... Empty Re: that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it...

Post by Mohunter Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:36 am

Thanks Kcatto, sorry the post got locked so soon. I figured that I had all the info that I could use so I told the mods that I was done with it. They like to close the posts when they are done, I guess to save room and confusion??

I can't believe you have 2 454's?? Man you must really love that caliber?
I found some old posts on another forum in their archives and it was an entire post about 3 pages long talking about this exact topic.
The determination that was made there was also that the .452's worked great for both 45 Colt and 454 Casull.
I also read a couple of guys say that they shot .452's out of their 460 also.

How's your accuracy out of that Raging Bull?

If you wouldn't mind posting a couple pics of your set up.......that would be great! I'd love to see them.

I was also wondering about shooting 410's out of a 454 Casull revolver?
There's no reason why you couldn't I don't guess? I doubt seriously that it would hurt the riflings?
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it... Empty Re: that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it...

Post by hawcer Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:44 am

Hey guys, I saw this in my new rifleman magazine last night.....It looks like a neat toy. It's called the Circuit Judge. It shoots 45lc and 410's....a rifle version of the Judge revolver I guess.
that stinks.... it was locked before I got in on it... SCJ4510
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:54 am

Yeah I saw those before Hawcer, it looks like a big ass revolver with a stock on it. That's cool, I'd love to shoot one of those!
Talk about a survival gun, that would be perfect!

Hey Kcatto, did you say you casted for your 454's and 45 colt??

What size, and style bullet do you cast? The ones that my MP mold drops are 200gr. Solids and Hex HP's, and Regular HP's don't know if you've ever seen them or not? It's called a Cramer Style bullet that's basically just a round nose flat point with one lube groove and no crimp groove.

Then there are 2 different sets of pins for the Hollow Points.
It's an awesome mold, you won't find anything like it anywhere else, and they don't have them at Midway or Graf's.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:28 am

Whatever you decide on Mo...I hope you get to use your cast boolits. The samples you sent me are just phenomenal and it would be very disappointing if you never get to try them yourself.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks Hawcer........Oh I will use them eventually. When I find the right gun whether it's a single action 45 Long Colt pistol, or a 454 Casull Raging Bull Taurus, or a 1911.
I'm leaning more toward the Raging Bull, just for the mere fact that I can use the same mold for both and 45 LC would be cheap enough to shoot for practice. The 454 on the other hand is a different story. I don't know if these boolits will be heavy enough for it, and the brass is extremely expensive. I can surely do some trading or scrounge enough brass up for the 454 to last me a little while. I'd just have to do some poking around on my old haunts where I usually find my brass. If nothing else, I'd just have to buy a couple of boxes of factory loaded ammo and save the brass?

I checked Starline yesterday and they are out of nearly everything, so I don't know if they have stopped production for now, or they have just been bombarded with orders and can't keep up? At any rate, the 454 Casull brass is $86.85 per 250 cases new and unprimed........WOW! Shocked
A guy wouldn't want to drop any of those and lose them! That's also the smallest amount you can buy in one order. I don't think I would be going with Starline on this one? I can usually prowl around and find somebody willing to swap me for some of my brass and get good 1xfired brass that way.

I'm checking into all the possibilities before I buy something that I can't find components for, or can't use the mold that I paid over a $100 bucks for. That would suck!
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:57 am

I know what you mean by expensive brass. My 450B brass is $50 for a box of 50. Buying factory ammo for $25.00 a box and reloading it after being fired is my cheapest route. 40 rounds of factory ammo for $50 or 50 empty cases for $50....what would you do?LOL
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:59 am

Exactly.........you can't hardly afford to not buy the factory ammo and then at least you get to shoot it once.
You don't know of any other way to get brass for the 450 Bushy or the 454 Casull from some other brass do ya? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would be any cheaper.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 am

There is a parent rifle cartridge to the 450B, but it is a bugger to convert....but it is possible. Not sure about the 454....maybe an old school straight wall rimmed rifle cartridge ,like a 45-70 or 45-90? Those can't be cheap either...
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:20 pm

While on Taurus's website getting ready to ask a question, I came along something really nice!!!

Gosh Dang it!!!!!! I will never get my beowulf!!!!!

http://www.taurususa.com/2010newcatalog/?catalog_page=12

Your looking at the Raging Bull, what about the Raging Judge? 454,45 colt and 410???
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:50 pm

I just talked to my dealer. The Raging Judge is out on the market. She said the problem is, trying to find one in stock. She has asked about them before and were told that everytime it became available it got gone.

Anyways, she told me that the price for it is around 735.00 plus tax....

I want one really bad. Mo, right up your alley man. You can shoot the 454 casull, the 45 colt, or the 410 3" or the 2.5" rounds. That right there is a 3 gun in one system...!!!! Now how cool is that???

edit: Did not realize until now that you can shoot a 45 LC through the 454 casull...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:01 pm

My uncle has a Judge and I wasn't too fond of it, but it's not like this one that shoots 454 Casull too. Only problem I would see is that the cylinder is longer to accomodate the .410 shells and that would be more jump for the 454's and 45's from the cylinder to the throat of the barrel. I would be afraid that it wouldn't be as accurate as a straight 454 Casull Raging Bull?
I'm not sure though, I guess you would have to shoot both to be sure?
That ain't gonna happen though, it's too bad they don't let you shoot them before you buy them.

I think Kcatto said he shoots .410's in his Casull Raging Bulls anyway? As long as the 2 3/4 .410's weren't too long for the cylinder then there's no reason why you couldn't shoot them out of a regular Raging Bull?

That is one hell of a weapon though, talk about fire power!
With a 6 shot cylinder you could have 3 - .410 rounds backed up with 3 - 454 Casull rounds.........OUCH!!
Burglars Beware!! Mama's Packing some Serious Heat!! Shocked
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Ok....eye doctor it is. I have now-reread 3 times. Kept missing it. I did finally see where he mentioned that. I guess not such a new concept.

I will let ya Know how well it does tho. I am going to put the 50 Beowulf on hold yet again in hopes of getting the raging judge. We will see in Feb.
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Mohunter wrote:Thanks Kcatto, sorry the post got locked so soon. I figured that I had all the info that I could use so I told the mods that I was done with it. They like to close the posts when they are done, I guess to save room and confusion??

I can't believe you have 2 454's?? Man you must really love that caliber?
I found some old posts on another forum in their archives and it was an entire post about 3 pages long talking about this exact topic.
The determination that was made there was also that the .452's worked great for both 45 Colt and 454 Casull.
I also read a couple of guys say that they shot .452's out of their 460 also.

How's your accuracy out of that Raging Bull?

If you wouldn't mind posting a couple pics of your set up.......that would be great! I'd love to see them.

I was also wondering about shooting 410's out of a 454 Casull revolver?
There's no reason why you couldn't I don't guess? I doubt seriously that it would hurt the riflings?

someday i will learn how to post pictures.... But I could snap a few pics...

I wanted the Taurus .454 casull just because I could shoot any 45LC made through it it has the double lock up.... and the little extra weight of the revolver adds to the accuracy as well..... but extremely accurate if I do my part of course

I can tell you where you can buy loaded hornady .454 casull for 185.00 per case of 200 ready to shoot.... 240 grain xtp mag and 300 xtp mag..... then you save your brass and 200 cases will last a long time.... not cheap but not bad for loaded ammo.... if you order by the case you get 20 rounds under $20.... a lot better then most places at $30 TO $35 PER 20...

now as for the .410 a buddy told me how to do it and it works.... just take a short .410 hull cut it to length and reload and shoot..... I was thinking about the Russian brass .410 cases.... cut to size and loaded for the pistol and the rifle but I do not know how they would feed through a lever gun???? but I could still shoot lever gun single shot....

I must warn you I am a big guy and can handle some recoil but after about 10 shots of hornady 300 xtp mags the .454 is not comfortable to shoot anymore..... so when I shoot it I usually shoot 5 rds of casull and then 45LC for the rest....

I do not remember the mold I have for it.... it is an older one I got in a horse trade.... it is probably older than I am but throws beautiful projectiles I will have to get it and see what markings are on it..... if you want to sell your mold uncle mo I would be interested.....

and brass I am always looking for Brass..... especially .357 mag

Last edited by kcatto on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I am a spelling idiot)
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:51 am

Thanks for all the info........I really want one bad now! Very Happy
Big revolvers or big handguns in general don't bother me one bit. I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag that I absolutely loved and wish I had never sold it, but that was before I learned to reload. I mainly got rid of it cause I needed cash and ammo was expensive. One of those things I wish I hadn't done. I also own a Glock 20 10mm which most everybody I know doesn't care for the recoil, but I shoot it like it's a .22 pistol.
I got big hands and it fits me perfect.
I think I would fall in love with the Casull, but since ammo is so expensive I'm sure I would be shooting mostly 45 LC?
At least until I could come up with some 454 brass.

I'll let you know if I ever decide to get rid of the mold, but I doubt it will ever happen? I love this mold.

Here's the website where you can get your own......if he has any for sale?
http://mp-molds.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=2

Then you could always watch over on cast boolits website for a group buy also, that's how I got mine.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

Here's an active buy that I found and I think it's the same style mold that I have?
Except it's a 4 cavity and mine is a 2 cavity, but I believe everything else is the same. Ask questions to be sure, but you better hurry to get in on the group buy. Otherwise you may be able to pick up one of the extras if there is any that will be posted to his website, but there aren't always extras.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=97566

Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:57 am

I just looked at that group buy again, and it looks like the guys who are signing up for them are specifying whether they want a .452 or a .454 mold next to their email address. Mine is the .452 and I assume that's the one you would want also?
This same mold also comes with both sets of pins to make Hex HP's, Reg. HP's, and also Solids.
Mine throws 215gr. Solids and 200gr. HP's

PM me if you need help.
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:02 am

hey mo there is a group buy for a 4 cavity gang mold..... 330 grain hollow point or flat point reversible pins in .452....

The 454 casull would really eat those up..... not as fast as the 200gr but would hit like a sledge hammer....
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:22 am

Yeah, I saw that one too. Miha has that one listed on his website.
I don't need another mold just yet, but I figured that if I ever bought myself the 454 Raging Bull that I would maybe get a Lee in something heavier like maybe the 275gr. range for loading the 454's. Some design that would make a good whitetail thumping round. Wink

Have you ever killed anything with your 454's??
Hogs, whitetail, engine block, innocent fruit, or anything at all? Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:01 pm

So you all are saying the 454 will be a .452 diameter mould to cast for? I sure hope so. I have a Lee mould in .452. I talked it over with the wife last night, she sees no reason I could not spring for the Raging Judge come February. So right now, if one can be found, and I don't change my mind to go back to the Beowulf, I will also be joining the 454 casull group as well!!!
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Mohunter wrote:Have you ever killed anything with your 454's??
Hogs, whitetail, engine block, innocent fruit, or anything at all? Cool

everything I have ever shot with this rest assured is now dead..... hehehe

No I got the carbine two months before I broke my neck in 2008..... I got to go hunting with it one time..... I had the raging bull for a few years before the carbine... I cannot fire them right now, Doctor says too much recoil until the fusion in my neck is finished healing.... two years to total fusion..... but that means my two year mark is..... nov 20th, 2012...... and it IS marked on my calendar.....

Last edited by kcatto on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Tommy, I read an entire archived post on cast boolits where they hashed out the entire episode of this exact topic and all replies claimed that the .452 was the perfect diameter for the 45 Colts and 454 Casulls. The Raging Bull was even mentioned several times and some guys even said that if it was anything bigger than .452 that they had issues in the Raging Bull.
I'll see if I can find it again and post the link here. I don't know why I didn't do that while I was reading it?

Kcatto- I would really be anxious to see the damage that it would do on just about anything, or even more cool would be a video of exploding crap of all varieties! Cool
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:40 pm

Yea I have not went over there and searched it yet. I guess bullet knowledge common sense would have kicked in here. If it shoots a .452 bullet (45 colt) then the casull would also, duh me LOL.....

I can't gaurantee anything, but I think i have a good lead on balistic gel. When/if I get mine, I will defintaly be shooting into the Gel if it comes through...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mohunter Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm

I saw them using that on Myth Busters and they had big cardboard drums full of the stuff........I'm talking bigger than a 5gal. bucket size!
I wish I could score a big drum like that! I've always wanted to test some rounds in ballistic gel, but do you have any idea how many little packets of that stuff it would take to make a block big enough to stop a .270 bullet?

That could get expensive!
Mohunter
Mohunter
Store Front Owner
Store Front Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Expensive as hell. I have a police officer buddy that has access to some balistic gel that they use for testing. He told me he could get me a good size block if I wanted. But, like everything else, I am so used to someone saying sure then when the time comes, policy changes or something else comes up and it does not go through....

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:56 pm

I measured out the bore in my rossi 454casull and the raging bull both measure .452.... In the Raging bull manual that came with the gun and in the rossi manual they both state .452 bore diameter.... I just like the versatility these guns offer. Same price in the 45 colt carbine as the 454 casull carbine and you get a two fer.... remember and i cannot stress this enough the casull is not pleasant or affordable to shoot in great numbers... but the 45 colt can be shot all day long and not go into bankruptcy.... besides it is nice to have a pistol to shoot comfortably and then can be loaded to take down an elephant if needed, not a lot of those running around here but you get the idea...

I had considered the S&W 460 before the raging bull purchase but I did not like the x-frame the frame is way to big for my hands, and besides there was no carbine in that chambering...

the 45 colt was standardized to .452 many years ago.... only the older guns are still in .454 caliber....

I was trying to find a standardized date but I got on something else and did not find out....

kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum