Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mosin project

+12
Joe
Reload3006
Bluehawk
Daywalker
DanRickard
scorge30
infantryjohn49
dartfreak75
algunjunkie
brow_tines
hawcer
dcstaber
16 posters

Go down

Mosin project Empty Mosin project

Post by dcstaber Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Last fall I bought a 1939 Mosin Nagant 91/30 at a Cabelas sale. The action and barrel on this one are in great shape & I bought it with the idea of it becoming a winter project, something I can learn on and screw up without ruining an expensive rifle. So far its turned out pretty well. I have gained a lot of respect for people who can produce a flawless rifle in terms of fit, finish, and function.

This one is pillar bedded, and both the top and bottom metal are 100% bedded from the chamber back. There is about 1/8" of free float under the barrel. The stock is from boyds, inletting and finishing the stock was probably the most time consuming part as I dont have a great deal of patience for rubbing a piece of wood with sand paper.....

The scope mount is an S&K, and the scope is a 2-7 Hi-lux from midway. The reticle isnt as crisp as I'd like, but I am surprised how well I like the long eye relief setup. The gun also has a polished 2 stage fin trigger, if the gun shoots fairly well I still may put a timney trigger in it.

I havent shot the gun yet, hopefully sunday the wind will stop blowing and the temp will come back up above zero so can go try it.

Mosin project Mosin112

Mosin project Finish11

Mosin project Finish12
dcstaber
dcstaber

http://www.go2engineer.com

Back to top Go down

Mosin project Empty Re: Mosin project

Post by hawcer Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:13 pm

That looks sweet! That stock will really improve the Mosin....The factory length of pull is too short and the steel butt plate starts to hurt after awhile.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by brow_tines Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:34 pm

wow, nice job !!!
brow_tines
brow_tines

Back to top Go down

Post by algunjunkie Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:53 pm

nice job

algunjunkie

http://algunjunkie.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:54 pm

that looks great i thought about doing the same to mine!!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by infantryjohn49 Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:46 pm

That looks really good,I like any antique firearm .I would like to upgrade my mauser with a synthetic stock.
infantryjohn49
infantryjohn49

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:35 pm

That is a sharp looking Mosin.

I have a fondness for the Mosins myself, and have my own Mosin project rifle that is waiting to get its PU scope mount and Fin trigger.

I have shot mine at the 1,000 KD range on Ft Lewis for giggles, and the bullet drop is 31 feet at that distance using mil surp ammo.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by hawcer Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:24 pm

scorge30 wrote:That is a sharp looking Mosin.

I have a fondness for the Mosins myself, and have my own Mosin project rifle that is waiting to get its PU scope mount and Fin trigger.

I have shot mine at the 1,000 KD range on Ft Lewis for giggles, and the bullet drop is 31 feet at that distance using mil surp ammo.

Maybe use ballistics for a grenade launcher.... joke

I would never thought it would have a 31ft drop at 1000yds.
hawcer
hawcer
Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:29 pm

Yeah it is a real challenge with iron sights as you have to aim at the very top of the berm to even hit paper.

Some day I will load some rounds myself and see if I can't get some better speed out of it.

I was shooting 40+ year old 193gr Bulgarian mil surp ammo labeled as "heavy ball." Rounds were all over the place, but it was fun to attempt to hit the target from the 1,000 yard mark.

FWIIW - I have shot the Mk19 40mm grenade launcher on the same range & its ballistics were a lot better.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by DanRickard Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:13 pm

i love how that stock came out.. looks really nice.
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:03 am

I agree that stock looks nice.

I am keeping mine in the original military stock & added a thick rubber butt plate. Those Russian soldiers must have been a tad short or wearing a very thick coat.

I intend to pillar and glass bed mine eventually, but for now it as it came from the Tula arsenal.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by dcstaber Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Its a shooter! I had a chance to shoot it yesterday afternoon. 15-20mph wind roughly to my back, 90yds to target, -10F, Shot from the seat of a pickup using the mirror as a rest, shot a 1.2" group using privi partizan 150gr BTSP.

I'm thinking its worth putting in the Timney trigger now.
dcstaber
dcstaber

http://www.go2engineer.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:45 pm

AWSOME!!! Great job man... I am happy for ya...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluehawk Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:43 am

Nice job Dc.......
Was worth it...wasn't it??
I love my Mosins...have 3 of them...91/30...M44...and my pride, a Chinese Model 53.
Yeah, I know, everyone thinks the Chinese versions are junk...they aren't!!!!
Did ya know on a rarity scale of 1-10 the Chinese M53 rates 7...(10 being the rarest) ???
I didn't know that until after I got mine...happy I did too!
Is that scope actually a long eye relief model? I've never seen one that long before.
Bluehawk
Bluehawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Reload3006 Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:46 am

Great Job Dc ... I have a M28 doubt i will do any thing with it but shoot it. I do like your scope mount I may some day do that.
Reload3006
Reload3006

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Love that stock.

Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Pathfinder Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:47 pm

Wow that came out great. You gotta be happy with results like this.
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Back to top Go down

Post by wallenba Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:20 pm

Awesome DC, thinking of doing that myself. The one I have picked out has the import marks on the reciever so I think I'll take a stab at shortening the barrel too. I'll leave enough on it so if I screw up, a smith can make it good and still be legal.
wallenba
wallenba

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 pm

beautiful rifle... I bet it is a dream to shoot now...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Chranie Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:33 am

hawcer wrote:
scorge30 wrote:That is a sharp looking Mosin.

Maybe use ballistics for a grenade launcher.... joke

I would never thought it would have a 31ft drop at 1000yds.

I personally cant believe this though having little experience.

Chranie

Back to top Go down

Post by scorge30 Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:36 am

Chranie wrote:I personally cant believe this though having little experience.

Shooting at 1,000 yards is not difficult. I have shot several US Army high power rifle service grade competitions. On a range with a known distance (KD) with the old style butts it was not difficult to hit the target.

I have shot M14, M16 and M40s with iron sights at 1,000 yard KD range and got passing scores. I also have a US Army Distinguished Rifle Medal. Although I am a pretty decent rifle shot, a sniper or designated marksman I am not.

I am not claiming that I shot anything like a decent group. I would have to check my log book for the Mosin but IIRC, my group was like 3' or something. No one will ever accuse the Mosin of being a high precision sniper rifle.

It is great fun though to crank the sights on your Mosin all the way up and sitting on the 1,000 yard KD range, see just where that mil surp ammo hits. First several shots were in the dirt, so I had to Kentucky-windage it until I got the rounds to hit on the target. A good spotter with a great piece of glass helps the shooter adjust the rifle.

I ended up holding the sights about three feet over the target frame. Even with the rifle sights cranked all the way up, the rounds were still hitting the dirt if I lolly-popped the target. Only by aiming at the blue sky could I get the rounds to hit anywhere near the black. Unfortunately it is not a very accurate way to aim, and one of these days we might try it again just for fun.

I can hit the 300 yard 10" gong at the rifle range all day with ease with my Mosin. Much farther than that though and it gets challenging. That is why it is so much fun to shoot a Mosin at 1,000 yards and watch people stare in disbelief when you hit. I must have shot close to 40 rounds though before I figured out where to hold the rifle, so prepare to shoot your Mosin A LOT if you are going to attempt this little fun excersise.

It is also great practice for deer season. A few trips shooting iron sights at 1,000 yards makes using a scoped deer rifle at less than that a cake walk. I try to shoot once a week at least. Mostly just a 15 minute drive up the hill to the little indoor range to shoot a brick or so of .22 LR pistol. You would surprised how shooting so often keeps your skills sharp.
scorge30
scorge30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum