Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

converted an old serger sewing machine

+4
Daywalker
kcatto
DanRickard
eagle60
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

converted an old serger sewing machine Empty k-spinner

Post by eagle60 Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Interesting idea. I converted an old serger sewing machine to accept the Lee shell holders and use the Lee case trimmer. Kind of neat as it has a foot pedal to start or stop as needed. I usually use some real fine steel wool on the cases just to brighten them up while I have it spinning. Changing to the next case if pretty fast. I can get it sized, chamfered, deburred, and lightly polished before a cat can lick his behind :-)
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

converted an old serger sewing machine Empty Re: converted an old serger sewing machine

Post by DanRickard Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 pm

eagle60 wrote:Interesting idea. I converted an old serger sewing machine to accept the Lee shell holders and use the Lee case trimmer. Kind of neat as it has a foot pedal to start or stop as needed. I usually use some real fine steel wool on the cases just to brighten them up while I have it spinning. Changing to the next case if pretty fast. I can get it sized, chamfered, deburred, and lightly polished before a cat can lick his behind :-)

how about some pics?
DanRickard
DanRickard

Back to top Go down

converted an old serger sewing machine Empty Re: converted an old serger sewing machine

Post by kcatto Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:30 am

yup... got nothing to add here....but pics would be nice..... I have an old serger here...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Hope this picture thing works - If it does, no laughing out loud ;-) just chuckle quietly to yourselves LOL!

converted an old serger sewing machine Case_a10
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

converted an old serger sewing machine Empty converted an old serger sewing machine

Post by kcatto Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:51 am

is that the serger motor???? I am interested....

most the time it is more about what you make then what you can buy...
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:55 am

I went ahead and split this off the K-Spinner and gave it it's own thread....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:48 am

kcatto, yes that is the serger motor. I'll try to post a better pic this afternoon. It was cold as all get out last night --. I bought 1k of the once fired 223 brass from Widners a couple of years back. Tumbled and inspected them and this baby zipped right through them.

Daywalker, you must stay up all night "tending to the website"! Thanks.
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:50 am

Yea I have my moments where I can't sleep. Figure since this was a different topic, it could use it's own thread. I myself is interested in this project. Seems like a cool idea being able to control trimming by foot. Both hands free to manipulate the brass and shell holder....

How man pieces of brass are you able to work up with this method?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:04 pm

I haven't kept up with how many I could do in an hour, I will do 50 or so after I get in from work and then it's time for some food:) One mod that I want to do is to put a wood ball on the end of that cutter. After 50 or so the fingers get sore from gripping that knurling

converted an old serger sewing machine Gutted11

converted an old serger sewing machine Front211

converted an old serger sewing machine Front211 Sad
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by kcatto Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 am

that set-up is awesome..... i never thought of using an old sewing machine motor with the foot pedal for a trimmer.... simply awesome
kcatto
kcatto

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 am

Interesting idea, I may have to dig around in my old mans barn to see what for older sewing machines I can find. He has been in the sewing machine repair buisness for 40+ years and has tons of parts laying around.
Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:52 am

Thanks. I definately like trying to make something useful out of junk. I guess it wasn't exactly free as the wife had to get a new one before this one wound up in the garbage Shocked , They quit giving sergers away when Moses was a baby !! But it has saved me a lot of time. Sorry about double posting the pic of the front, it was supposed to be a shot of the back of the machine. Oh well, the older I get the earlier my mind goes to bed !!!
Tripples, by all means raid the spare machines! I would enjoy seeing what ya come up with. Besides, if I burn the motor up on this one I may see if you have a replacement pirat
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by tripples Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 am

Eagle60, Just thought you would get a kick out of this. My dad was at the house tonight and I showed him the pics in your post and he said that's a model so and so, I have one at home that I repaired over a year ago and they never picked up. I said I bet it cant do what the one in your pic can. He defenitly liked the idea.
Tripples

tripples

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:22 am

tripples, glad to hear that you have a prospective "case trimmer" cheers . When you get it all fixed up, by all means post some pics, I would love to see how it turns out! I wonder what kinds of mods and enhancements can be done to one. I was thinking about putting a big ole picture of a bald eagle right on the front of mine Smile whadda ya think ???
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:39 am

Wonder if a man could insert a series of belts and pulleys and have maybe 4 spindles for 4 different stations like that on the hornady and rcbs work stations?
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:56 am

It seems doable. Maybe a couple of aluminum support plates to house the spindles fitted with something like the change gears that fit the Harbor Freight lathes all mounted to the output shaft. Choose gears according to the speed wanted for each spindle. Sounds like a little lathe work would be in order...
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:54 pm

that is an awsome idea im gonna start looking around at yardsales and such thanks for the idea thats a great one!!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks dart. I hope you find yourself one for cheap. It doesn't cost anything really for the conversion, which makes it all the better!
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:35 am

do you think any sewing machaine would work cause i have an old one in the basement but i think its a singer!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by eagle60 Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 am

Hmmmm - good question. I know that just about any sewing machine should have a crankshaft (the part that you want to connect your shellholder to) connected to the motor in some fashion. The trick will be getting the end of the crank exposed and finding some sort of adapter to make the connection between it and the shellholder. If you were lucky enough that the crank and shellholder were about the same size, a piece of pipe with a couple of set screws could be used - or if you have access to a small lathe you could turn one to the proper size. It may not be necessary to strip out all of the other internal workings - I did on this one simply to cut down on extra parts that make noise and is only an added weight that the motor has to pull. Get (safely) creative Smile Never can tell what kind of new toy you could create - -
eagle60
eagle60

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:05 pm

good ideas thanks !!
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Old Singers can be worth some money... You sure you want to convert that one?? Check how old it is first....
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 pm

i dont think its considered antique or anything its probably made in the 80s or so il try to dig it out it was my moms when i was little and she got a new one id say it was made between 82-88 ore somewheres around there
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Oh ok then, knock yourself out.. LOL

Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dartfreak75 Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 pm

yea lol
dartfreak75
dartfreak75

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum