Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter casting kit

4 posters

Go down

Starter casting kit Empty Starter casting kit

Post by RichBirdHunter Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:34 pm

Well, I guess I am gonna start casting. I will start with 45-70 & 30-30

Whats the laundry list of what I need.
RichBirdHunter
RichBirdHunter

Back to top Go down

Starter casting kit Empty Re: Starter casting kit

Post by CMAsailor Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 pm

there are people out there that fab heat sources and ladels from whatever's lying around so only need to buy moulds, however...

my suggestion is to get a lee production pot to get you started, and some lee moulds. cheapest quickest hassle free startup that i can figure... if you're smelting WW I would do so in a separate cast iron pan, fluxing the impurities out and cleaning the dross off, so your pro pot doesn't get so dirty... and in turn your boolits are more consistent Smile

plenty of the time people shoot as cast, however lee also has the pushthrough sizers cheap....

now on the other hand...

if you had money to burn... well there's always way to burn money in casting stuff, lubrisizers, dies, gascheck makers, the list goes on,

I would still start with the lee setup, and encourage you to watch every darn video on youtube you can find... over and over... in conjunction with reading books , it's fun stuff ATG
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Also a good idea to get some welding gloves and leathers if you don't have em lying around, safety is important.
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:54 pm

A good smelting rig if you do not plan on buying ingots already made... A good rig could be a dutch oven and a turkey fryer stand....

For casting, a good melting pot... I would suggest a bottom pour of whichever brand you decide on... I have the 10 pound Lee production pot, plenty big for me....
A good lead thermometer to keep an eye on temp...
A good set of welding gloves if you want to go down the road and not beat on your moulds, you can use a gloved hand to open the sprue plate then open the handle and the boolits falls into a buck of water if you are going to quench or air dry...

A good set of moulds. Lee is great for the money... RCBS is another great mould to have, it costs a bit more and does not include the handles like a Lee 2 cavity does..I had a bad expierence with Lyman Moulds and will never spend my money on their moulds again...

You need some parafin wax, or sawdust to flux the lead in your melting pot and some matches to strike the wax on fire in order to keep the smoke from getting too big...

You need to think about lubing and sizing. Lee makes a great inexpensive sizing kit that you can either tumble lube then size or you can take a non tl boolit, put some rcbs sizing lube on it and size it through a lee sizer kit...

Or you can get a Lubrisizer, Lyman 4500 suggested from me. Oh man is it ever so great... Place the cast boolits pull handle, push handle and boom sized and lube and ready to go into the case they very moment...

If your gonna pan lube, need to get a good receipe, some silicon type pans, an old crock pot your not using for cooking anymore and a turkey baster. The crock pot is to melt all your ingrediants and then combine and mix. Turkey baster to take the liquid out and pour it around your cast boolits with a lube groove in them. Let set over night... Hope that when you pull the bullets out of the pan lube mix that the lube actually stays in the grooves...

Tumble lube, easy, get the lee liquid alox, drizzle over cast boolits, put on a hoola skirt or a belly dancing outfit and shake what ya momma gave ya...

Then run those through the lee sizer

and shake all over again...

Load and enjoy.. I believe Hawcer has an excellent sticky on casting, let me see if I remember that right...
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daywalker Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Here you go, its listed in the casting session:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Daywalker
Daywalker
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by badjeep02 Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Call the local tire shops and car dealers and ask for used wheel weights. Lots of wheel weights.
badjeep02
badjeep02

Back to top Go down

Post by CMAsailor Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:13 pm

CA banned lead WW...
CMAsailor
CMAsailor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content